Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zone "Sky"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Thought AmEx boarding was Zone 2...
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
It would have been nice if DL recognized those who earned 25000 MQM's rather than paying for a Delta AmEx Gold by putting them in different zones - Silvers in Zone 1 and AmEx in Zone 2...
I agree totally. If I was an FO, I would be furious that am ex card holders can board in the same zon, especially since they screwed FO's with the new checked bag policy.

They should board FO's in zone 1 and am ex in zone 2 and then general boarding zones 3 and up.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by javabytes
Thought AmEx boarding was Zone 2...
1 is the new 2.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Instead of wasting all the time and money on something like this, why doesn't Delta invest that time and money into something more useful like improving their IT or allowing you to upgrade using miles on their site?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I do not know which pissed me off more, the fact that they changed this into an absurdly confusing process now, when the old process made complete sense, or that when they had a chance they left all the Amex medallions (FO) with all the people who pay $85 a year for a credit card. Either way thanks Delta for yet another screw job. Though like it will matter to complain because no one from Delta actually reads this board.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I agree totally. If I was an FO, I would be furious that am ex card holders can board in the same zon, especially since they screwed FO's with the new checked bag policy.

They should board FO's in zone 1 and am ex in zone 2 and then general boarding zones 3 and up.

I am a silver and initially was furious. I have been silver for about 5 years or so. I have pretty much stopped flying Delta exclusively. Due to rollover I'll likely be silver again next year, but probably not after that. The benefits of being a card holder pretty much remove the need for me to retain the status. When I'm doing east coast leisure flying I try to find the best deal. I guess you can say that Delta forced me to treat them as a commodity due to the medallion inflation combined with "enhancement".
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
It's the same boarding process just different names of zones. Not sure why everybody is up in arms about it.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by zsmith2
It's the same boarding process just different names of zones. Not sure why everybody is up in arms about it.
^ +1

I flew out of SFO the day the new process took hold-the GAs realized about halfway through boarding they needed to use the new system which added to the confusion. However, I watched a few other flights board and the new system seemed to work out fine. Give it a few weeks for most people to get with the program and things should start to settle down (re. excessive gate lice).
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by stevekstevek
Originally Posted by dcline414
Or they could stick with the current theme and do something like:
  • Sun
  • Sky
  • Bird
  • Dog
  • Dirt
Edit: For example, at the gate it would sound something like this: "Now that everyone in the sun, sky, and bird zones has boarded, we would like to continue boarding with all dogs at this time. If you are dirt, we'll be calling for you momentarily after the dogs finish boarding."
Maybe you should sit at ce woolman's desk!
I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult...
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

Agreed. FO's should be able to board and stow their carry-on's before the Amex holders. Since DL promissed Zone 2 boarding to Amex holders, they wouldn't be violating this agreement.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nogophers
Agreed. FO's should be able to board and stow their carry-on's before the Amex holders. Since DL promissed Zone 2 boarding to Amex holders, they wouldn't be violating this agreement.
Right, if they boarded first, then sky priority then FO's then AM EX after and then general boarding, they are still getting priority boarding over general. A passenger that flies 25K MQMs or 30 MQS's should board before someone that has a branded credit card.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start giving sky priority security line access to am ex cardholders within the next five years.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Judging by many of the comments, part of the problem is this opened up some old wounds, eg, FO vs AmEx. But I agree with others that it also raises questions with a name like SKY.

Thought the old boarding process was okay just with numbers but maybe in the rush, some GA's were letting through too many 4's with zone 2 boarding so they figured it would be easier to spot a zone number when a name (PREM or SKY) is the boarding zone.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
It would appear than neither the passngers nor the DL staff were up to speed on these changes.

As Miss Cleo and the Psychic Friends Network are no longer with us, what is DL's method of informing both their customers and their employees of these corporate brainstorms?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Judging by many of the comments, part of the problem is this opened up some old wounds, eg, FO vs AmEx. But I agree with others that it also raises questions with a name like SKY.

Thought the old boarding process was okay just with numbers but maybe in the rush, some GA's were letting through too many 4's with zone 2 boarding so they figured it would be easier to spot a zone number when a name (PREM or SKY) is the boarding zone.
With SkyPriority rolling out to other SkyTeam members this month, it's probably a bit of an alignment thing, too.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I did "overhear" an FO going ballistic yesterday at the gate in RDU as we were boarding the 7:45 pm flight. She was saying to anyone who was within earshot, which was most of the gate area, that this is just another example of how DL mistreats FOs. Whether this is true or not (I don't know) DL has done something that appears that way to some of its more frequent customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.