Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do first class folks get skyclub access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do first class folks get skyclub access?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
I agree, they didn't announce it, but the rules as posted are not ambiguous.

You could possibly make the "delta metal is a skyteam flight" argument but it's transparently obtuse.
The rules are quite clear. DL is a ST carrier. Trying to say otherwise is being obtuse. Thus is the same wording that was used before. I highly doubt someone at DL believes that DL isn't part of ST, or that people would think it wasn't.

This same argument has been made in past, and Canada has always been included.
readywhenyouare and gooselee like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once again, here is the old wording that had been there for a number of years (since 2015). You can go back even further and the only difference from the below is that it said BusinessElite instead of Delta One:

"Delta One or Skyteam Premium Cabin Passenger

Customers traveling in Delta One on an international Delta flight or a domestic Delta flight connecting to/from a same-day international Delta flight* in Delta One or travel in international First/Business Class on a SkyTeam-operated flight. "

How is the new text really any different from the old text? In both cases, you are dependent on the the DL flight being considered a "Skyteam-operated" flight for access as there are no international Delta One flights involved.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 31, 2018 at 7:18 am
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:11 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The rules are quite clear. DL is a ST carrier. Trying to say otherwise is being obtuse. Thus is the same wording that was used before. I highly doubt someone at DL believes that DL isn't part of ST, or that people would think it wasn't.

This same argument has been made in past, and Canada has always been included.
yes, in the past canada was included, nobody disputes that. Amazingly, rules can change.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
yes, in the past canada was included, nobody disputes that. Amazingly, rules can change.
Please read the old language from previous web snapshots that I quoted above. How have they changed the text substantively?
gooselee and mnflyer58 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
Please read the old language from previous web snapshots that I quoted above. How have they changed the text substantively?

They haven't. If they wish to exclude Delta first class passengers to Mexico and Canada from lounge access, there's a simple 3 word fix to make it crystal clear. The lawyer in me says the language they have now is ambiguous at best. Add the three words, make it clear. (Note: I'm not putting the language here because Delta's cadre of lawyers should be able to figure it out for themselves, if they truly intend to exclude first class passengers)

I had lounge access when I traveled first class to Mexico in October with no issues at all. If, indeed, they are "changing" access now based on the some alleged "new" language (and it really isn't "new"), then it should ONLY apply to tickets purchased on or after the "change." And, I would suggest such if I'm questioned for lounge access for my upcoming flight. When I purchased the ticket, there's no question that lounge access was included. This is a benefit that the fee I paid covers. No fair changing it after I've paid my $$$, right?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by LBJ
AA has some rule similar for access to Flagship Lounges. As an AA EXP/OW Emerald I cannot access Flagship Lounges while on a (non Transcon F/J) domestic or North American itinerary but non-AA OWE can from other carriers. I’m afraid Delta might be going in this direction with the Delta v SkyTeam distinction?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

AA has some rule similar for access to Flagship Lounges. As an AA EXP/OW Emerald I cannot access Flagship Lounges while on a (non Transcon F/J) domestic or North American itinerary but non-AA OWE can from other carriers. I’m afraid Delta might be going in this direction with the Delta v SkyTeam distinction?
The Flagship Lounges are a different product and you didn't answer the question (how is the new wording really any different from the old). DL could perhaps put a different spin on the meaning of "International First" and interpret it to mean a true International First product (like you can find on partners like AF), rather than the FC product found on DL Canada/Mexico flights which are essentially domestic FC.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC *A also has some quirky rules where in some cases, a UA elite can enter a partner lounge in the USA but not a UA lounge.

However, this case with DL Is very different as it's not based on the home FF program of an elite passenger but rather seems to be a matter of DL operated flights being treated differently (worse) than partner operated flights in terms of admission to DL SCs based on premium cabin tickets (rather than elite status).
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Sounds lIke’s it’s confirmed via RenesPoints via DM from DL on Twitter this only affects FC customers Silver and below so as others noted above GM+ in any cabin are still safe for SC access.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
This is an unfortunate very recent downgrade from Delta it would appear. The wording has indeed changed to make "When flying Delta" distinct from "When flying SkyTeam partners" and the new wording would indicate that while Canada is "International" - only Delta One cabin travel will confer lounge access when flying internationally.

Given that both UA and AC offer lounge access on premium cabin transborder travel, and UA/AC have a much stronger transborder network than DL and their half-baked partnership that's really not a partnership with WestJet, I'm surprised to see Delta move forward with this negative change.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:27 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
[left]Sounds lIke’s it’s confirmed via RenesPoints
well in that case maybe I'm wrong
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:13 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Thanks everyone for the thoughts on whether Canadian itineraries in first class (with no status) get access to Sky Clubs. I'm going to go with the view that there has been a change and we no longer get access. Whatever the case though, Delta clearly has done a poor job of communicating this as even frequent flyers in the know are vigorously debating the meaning of the rules. This will affect my future flying choice as I know I can get lounge access when flying Air Canada in their business cabin. I may still go with Delta First, but it is a negative factor.
MSPeconomist, AANYC1981 and ryw like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Just visited LAX T2 SC. Per manager on duty nothing has changed in regards to Canada. It's just the normal wonky wording and fact agents have Delta One grilled into their heads.

I also called DL Customer Service who put me on hold for nearly 30 minutes. After first saying never has Canada gotten access, came back and said they learned something today after contacting SC support. They learned Canada FC gets access.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'm sure the SkyClubs will be so much better now that all those rambunctious Canadians will no longer have access.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:52 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just visited LAX T2 SC. Per manager on duty nothing has changed in regards to Canada. It's just the normal wonky wording and fact agents have Delta One grilled into their heads.

I also called DL Customer Service who put me on hold for nearly 30 minutes. After first saying never has Canada gotten access, came back and said they learned something today after contacting SC support. They learned Canada FC gets access.
After reading this, I tried the @Delta twitter account again. This time, I was in a direct message chat and they specifically looked up the ticket reservation. They stuck to the "Delta One" language and said that if it's not Delta One, there's no Sky Club access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.