Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I remember when this board was full

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
I remember when this board was full

This morning at the CVG Sky Club
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:44 am

Wow! That sure tells the story at CVG.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Me too - Sad really, CVG is a great facility with plenty of runway space and not impacted by weather or ground traffic as much as ATL, DTW, and other airports often are. I made my first and second million miles while traveling to or from CVG.

It now is the capital of barbie jets and small mainline equipment. You can't even get to a hub without a CRJ 100 coming into play, and to add insult to injury, often at prices still in the stratosphere! Oh, and don't even think about getting equipment with any AVOD!

I remember the day with MD-11s heading to PDX for the pacific international routes. Nice rides. 76's with BE to the west coast. Now, the best we get is A320's (with the diminutive number of FC seats), an occasional 737, the workhorse MD 88 and the aged DC9.

Last edited by DL Platinum; Mar 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm Reason: 787 - meant 737 - Only a dream that DL had a 787
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Looks like they have a few surplus monitors they could sell. I also remember fondly L-1011 service into CVG. Amazing how things change.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by DL Platinum
Now, the best we get is A320's (with the diminutive number of FC seats), an occasional 787, the workhorse MD 88 and the aged DC9.
787 is a big deal in my book.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
Such a better hub than MEM. What a shame.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta DM MM
I dont know how much longer things can continue at CVG. Flew through there last weekend and on arrival saturday at 6p all the shops were closed and we seemed to be the only people in the terminal. It went from being my least favorite airport (remember terminal C) during the "Comair" days to being my favorite. It really is sad how it is being left to wither away.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Yeah, that's really unfortunate. I have an upcoming trip and finally found a routing through CVG and was excited about it! I haven't actually been through there in a very long time, but really liked the airport.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
And one of the best unmolested Crown Rooms (I use the old name intentionally) left in the system.

Work cubicles, Woodford Reserve, and ample seating and power plugs.

I am starting to use CVG again, when I can find 2-cabin RJs in and out.

Prior to the barbie Jet era, it was the best way to avoid ATL.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: DL 1MM/DM, SPG Platinum, Pete's Brass Rail & Car Wash Beer Club
I'm making my first trip through CVG in over two years this evening. I'm really looking forward to the easy connection and hopefully some time in one of my favorite Skyclubs (CR) in the system.

I'm just hoping to get out of LGA at a decent time to make the tight connection, and potentially pop into the club for a quick drink!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:51 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
They cancelled the CVG-SFO evening departure after June 6th... not happy about that one.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:40 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by motytrah
787 is a big deal in my book.
I'm fairly sure he/she meant the beautiful, late model , B767's that do DL44/45 to & from CDG, as opposed to the sparkling brand new B787s, that DL doesn't have.

Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: 𓂀
same story with MEM
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
It's certainly saddened me. I haven't been to CVG since they stopped the LEX - CVG service. I used to be in the C and B Terminal every week. This morning I was literally the only person in security, the one of two persons on the tram, and one of a handful in the SC. The agent at the SC said it's been that way for two months. Scary thought.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Looks like PIT when US pulled the hub status. It's even sadder years later now when I go home and look at the monitors.

CVG will look like PIT soon enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.