Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance if First Class not first leg

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum

I am looking at an upcoming flight where the connecting leg has a confirmed (SWU) upgrade but the initial leg is still in coach.

Will I be able to check bags when I leave as if I was first class, or do they only look at the initial leg?

Sending the kid off to school, so I'm checking as many bags as I can.

There is nothing I can find in the baggage rules about this.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:35 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
For medallions, as long as one of the legs is in f, you get the f baggage allowance. Don't know how it works for non medallions, but assume its the same
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by mendel k
For medallions, as long as one of the legs is in f, you get the f baggage allowance. Don't know how it works for non medallions, but assume its the same
Does this include intl flights that are in Y with the domestic leg clearing as an upgrade at the window?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:59 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Originally Posted by patriots68:18150880
Does this include intl flights that are in Y with the domestic leg clearing as an upgrade at the window?
If you've cleared the upgrade at the window for the domestic leg, then yes, you get 3 70lb, I've had this many times. You have to remember that you only get 2 50lb on the way back.
If you only clear at the gate, then you just get the regular 2 50lb allowance.
When you do olci for the flight, by the bags selection, it'll say 3 70lb if you've cleared by the window or 2 50lb if you haven't
On the return, even if you've cleared for the upgrade in the domestic leg before check in, you still only get 2 50lb because for int'l flights, they look at the first leg. Exception is if the intl leg is in j, then even if the domestic is in y, you still get the j baggage allowance

Last edited by mendel k; Mar 7, 2012 at 2:05 am
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
If you've cleared the upgrade at the window for the domestic leg, then yes, you get 3 70lb, I've had this many times. You have to remember that you only get 2 50lb on the way back.
If you only clear at the gate, then you just get the regular 2 50lb allowance.
When you do olci for the flight, by the bags selection, it'll say 3 70lb if you've cleared by the window or 2 50lb if you haven't
On the return, even if you've cleared for the upgrade in the domestic leg before check in, you still only get 2 50lb because for int'l flights, they look at the first leg. Exception is if the intl leg is in j, then even if the domestic is in y, you still get the j baggage allowance
I'm not sure that it's 70lb if the international sector is first. I was flying LHR-DTW-MSP-FAR, with the two domestic sectors upgraded at the 5/6-day window. I only wanted to check one bag, and it came in around 23.8kg (23kg=50lb for baggage allowances). I called the medallion line twice to check on my baggage allowance. They insisted (including one Chisholm agent, although she admitted the documentation was so spotty that she did have a bit of doubt) that the allowance should be 2 at 50lb since the long-haul sector was in Y. I said that OLCI was going to let me check in three bags for free, which surprised the agents, but they were both insistent that I wouldn't get the 70lb allowance at LHR. I decided not to push the issue and moved a few more things into my carry-on to get under 23kg.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller:18151006
I'm not sure that it's 70lb if the international sector is first. I was flying LHR-DTW-MSP-FAR, with the two domestic sectors upgraded at the 5/6-day window. I only wanted to check one bag, and it came in around 23.8kg (23kg=50lb for baggage allowances). I called the medallion line twice to check on my baggage allowance. They insisted (including one Chisholm agent, although she admitted the documentation was so spotty that she did have a bit of doubt) that the allowance should be 2 at 50lb since the long-haul sector was in Y. I said that OLCI was going to let me check in three bags for free, which surprised the agents, but they were both insistent that I wouldn't get the 70lb allowance at LHR. I decided not to push the issue and moved a few more things into my carry-on to get under 23kg.
Yes, that's correct, if your first leg is intl y, then it doesn't matter if the domestic legs are in f, you'd still only get 2 50lb. You'd only get the 3 70lb on an intl flight in y if the first leg is domestic and its in f, and the upgrade cleared before check in.
Weird that olci said you could get 3 70lb, but id still think that if it allowed you that allowance, you'd probably get it (if you selected it) when you got to the airport as your reservations would show 3 free checked bags at 70lb each
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Yes, that's correct, if your first leg is intl y, then it doesn't matter if the domestic legs are in f, you'd still only get 2 50lb. You'd only get the 3 70lb on an intl flight in y if the first leg is domestic and its in f, and the upgrade cleared before check in.
Weird that olci said you could get 3 70lb, but id still think that if it allowed you that allowance, you'd probably get it (if you selected it) when you got to the airport as your reservations would show 3 free checked bags at 70lb each
OLCI said three, but I didn't see it giving the maximum weight of each one, which is why I wound up calling.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: DL FO
Anyone have any recent experience with this?

I have an award ticket upcoming next week, booked in Y, starting in Europe and terminating in the US. I now have a confirmed upgrade for the last (domestic) segment. I know to be safe I should only expect to check two bags up to 50 lbs (23 kgs) for free, but having the extra bag and weight allowance would be a huge help. My first intra-Europe segment is on KLM, if it matters, the remainder are on DL metal.

Will I be allowed to check 2 bags or 3 for free?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:58 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Data point: CDG-JFK-SDQ. CDG-JFK in Y, JFK-SDQ in J. Allowance was 3 @ 70LBS
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BringBackTWA

I have an award ticket upcoming next week, booked in Y, starting in Europe and terminating in the US. I now have a confirmed upgrade for the last (domestic) segment. I know to be safe I should only expect to check two bags up to 50 lbs (23 kgs) for free, but having the extra bag and weight allowance would be a huge help. My first intra-Europe segment is on KLM, if it matters, the remainder are on DL metal.

As a DM you should get three bags at 70lbs since at check-in at least one segment is confirmed in First/BE. Only issue I'd see is that the KLM check-in agent may or may not argue with you about it, however by the rules as DM you get 3 @ 70lbs.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:54 pm
GG

Originally Posted by BringBackTWA

I love your nym!

Ok, the important thing for the Euro weenies at KLM is what class are you in. If your award looks good, go for it. But if your domestic upgrade is based on your DM, pack carefully.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:10 pm
GG

3 bags for DM in coach? Srsly? I like, if true. Show me where DL guarantees that.

Anyway, BringBackTWA guy, if you do have to pay extra $, consider that shipping FedX or UPoops for a standard biggish box across the pond will be about $450. No, boat mail doesn't exist anymore. If it!'s over 4lbs, or something close, it goes by air, and costs.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GG
3 bags for DM in coach? Srsly? I like, if true. Show me where DL guarantees that.

Anyway, BringBackTWA guy, if you do have to pay extra $, consider that shipping FedX or UPoops for a standard biggish box across the pond will be about $450. No, boat mail doesn't exist anymore. If it!'s over 4lbs, or something close, it goes by air, and costs.
It's on the checked baggage page. DL Baggage Limits Open the Guidelines & Fees by Country. Towards the bottom is a section on limits for SkyMiles Medallion members, SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers from American Express.

DM are entitled to three bags up to 70lbs as long as one segment is confirmed at checkin in First/BE. It doesn't matter if it's a freebie upgrade or not. Just has to be confirmed before checking in. ie You get only coach allowance if no segments have been upgraded at check-in even if you're waitlisted and later clear.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:00 am
GG

flyerCO: cool.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by B7e7US
Data point: CDG-JFK-SDQ. CDG-JFK in Y, JFK-SDQ in J. Allowance was 3 @ 70LBS
Was CDG-JFK in DL metal or AF metal? Was JFK-SDQ a complimentary medallion upgrade?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's on the checked baggage page. DL Baggage Limits Open the Guidelines & Fees by Country. Towards the bottom is a section on limits for SkyMiles Medallion members, SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers from American Express.

DM are entitled to three bags up to 70lbs as long as one segment is confirmed at checkin in First/BE. It doesn't matter if it's a freebie upgrade or not. Just has to be confirmed before checking in. ie You get only coach allowance if no segments have been upgraded at check-in even if you're waitlisted and later clear.
Yeah, I've read this too. But as far as I can tell it doesn't differentiate between trips when all segments are in the same class of service vs. when the trip will be split between Y and F/J. I'm mainly worried about the KLM agent giving me a hard time, in all honesty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.