Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPS FC Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:57 am
Original Poster

IRROPS FC Upgrade Question

I sincerely apologize if this is a duplicate post. But, today I was delayed due to maintenance and Delta could not get me to LAX (through any connections) before late tonight. So, I decided to go tomorrow morning instead. My question is, I fly pretty much weekly on DL and the platinum desk always puts me in FC with this many problems in my travel. Today, the Plat desk acted as if they had no clue what I was talking about-they said they don't do this. Have I really been that lucky that they do this for me all of the time? I tried calling back and all of them said they won't do it and they don't know what I am talking about. Is it coach availability? Is it a new policy? I am just curious why the sudden change. Thanks for your expertise...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: DL EOS...
They're probably getting back at you for spelling it IRROPS...

Seriously, I'm PM and my last IROP early Jan they reserved me in F on connecting flight but at the gate would only issue a BP for Y. It was a crazy day and they eventually pulled me up into F just before the door closed so I made it, but just barely.

Judging from what you're reporting, there could be an unpublished change afoot about how they'll reserve seats in the future for IROP Medallions?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
As a diamond, my experience is very similar. If there is F open (not V) I have been put directly into an F seat. That is if i have been upgraded. If not, I am usually issued a Y fare and get to the top of any upgrade list. In some instances I get put into F (maybe there is V open) but that is usually a bonus.

The thing is, I almost always get an F seat when IROPS occurs. Maybe that is why I don't get bent out of shape when it happens. :-)

Doesn't sound like a policy change but maybe the person you talked to.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Delta GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CarnivalQueen
I sincerely apologize if this is a duplicate post. But, today I was delayed due to maintenance and Delta could not get me to LAX (through any connections) before late tonight. So, I decided to go tomorrow morning instead. My question is, I fly pretty much weekly on DL and the platinum desk always puts me in FC with this many problems in my travel. Today, the Plat desk acted as if they had no clue what I was talking about-they said they don't do this. Have I really been that lucky that they do this for me all of the time? I tried calling back and all of them said they won't do it and they don't know what I am talking about. Is it coach availability? Is it a new policy? I am just curious why the sudden change. Thanks for your expertise...
I had MX out of DEN on Saturday the 3rd and I was put in Y not F as I had been in 2011. The boarding pass actually retained my original class. I asked like the OP did and the agent said she had never heard of doing that.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Policy has and is that you are rebooked on you're ticketed original class of service. Sometimes Y may not be available so they rebook you in F. Likewise if you purchased F and there is only Y available. Sometimes agents use there own discretion in rebooking if F but it is no means a service recovery tool. Again this is not new policy.

Last edited by zsmith2; Mar 5, 2012 at 9:12 am Reason: Clarification
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
The last time this happened to me, I went to the Sky Club and said "the system rebooked me into Y instead of F...can you fix it, I think there are seats available in F." Two seconds later I had a BP for F. (I was FO and don't think it matters...you should be rebooked into your previous class unless it is not available.)
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by N808DE
The last time this happened to me, I went to the Sky Club and said "the system rebooked me into Y instead of F...can you fix it, I think there are seats available in F." Two seconds later I had a BP for F. (I was FO and don't think it matters...you should be rebooked into your previous class unless it is not available.)
.....not your previous class, the class you paid for.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold
Updated gate upgrade logic?

Originally Posted by ryanfinger
As a diamond, my experience is very similar. If there is F open (not V) I have been put directly into an F seat. That is if i have been upgraded. If not, I am usually issued a Y fare and get to the top of any upgrade list. In some instances I get put into F (maybe there is V open) but that is usually a bonus.

The thing is, I almost always get an F seat when IROPS occurs. Maybe that is why I don't get bent out of shape when it happens. :-)

After several recent instances of IROP rebooking in Y not getting me to the top of the list (or even near) as a Diamond, I suspect (with a significant amount of confidence) that gate upgrade list priority now tracks to the underlying ticket fare basis instead of booking class. This change would be consistent with how the system was updated to track original fare basis for mileage accrual hence eliminating the extra MQMs/RDMs when you got rebooked in F or Y due to IROP.

One clear example I can cite was a SEA-MSP flight last month on which I was rebooked due to the gate agent killing my seat early for a SEA-ATL redeye on which my upgrade was already confirmed. I was first rebooked on the SEA-MSP flight into my original booking class N (coach award ticket). I noted my position on the upgrade list as 7 out of 16. After escalating it to a redcoat (it was the GAs fault that they killed my confirmed upgrade seat early to accommodate overbooking), I asked to be rebooked in Y to maximize my chance of getting upgraded if there were any no-shows since F was already zeroed out. The redcoat obliged by unchecking me in and rebooking me into full Y for the same SEA-MSP flight as before (at this point, my name disappeared from the upgrade list as it should on the iPhone app). After re-checking me in, I reappeared on the upgrade list at..#7, just like before. Even the redcoat was rather surprised it didn't make a difference. Out of curiosity, she looked into who was number 1 on the list. Turns out it was a Plat traveling on a YCA govt fare. This incidence is the most direct evidence I have of the change, but there have been quite a few instances earlier this year where I've suspected the same based on my upgrade list placement after doing SDC.

I'm fine with this change as it makes sense that people should be ordered on the gate upgrade list based on paid fare class. I just wish Delta would've communicated the change in some way. Thought I'd let y'all know so you're aware that being rebooked in full Y isn't so much the almost sure bet for upgrade as it once was. It might be advisable to push for being rebooked in F if it is available during IROP on a previously confirmed upgrade. There have definitely been times in the past where I've just settled for the rebooking in full Y know I'd clear the gate list anyways versus having to wait for the redcoat to authorize rebooking in F. Not anymore.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by loyalStarwoodfan
After several recent instances of IROP rebooking in Y not getting me to the top of the list (or even near) as a Diamond, I suspect (with a significant amount of confidence) that gate upgrade list priority now tracks to the underlying ticket fare basis instead of booking class. This change would be consistent with how the system was updated to track original fare basis for mileage accrual hence eliminating the extra MQMs/RDMs when you got rebooked in F or Y due to IROP.
Not sure, but even as recently as this weekend, and IROPS rebook in Y put me at #1 on the list, and it was a long enough list that there's no way I would have been #1 on the fare I purchased. But my ticket showed my original fare basis code and the miles posted without a 50% bonus.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold
Perhaps it's the award ticket fare basis differentiation

Originally Posted by javabytes
Not sure, but even as recently as this weekend, and IROPS rebook in Y put me at #1 on the list, and it was a long enough list that there's no way I would have been #1 on the fare I purchased. But my ticket showed my original fare basis code and the miles posted without a 50% bonus.
Interesting..perhaps the system somehow separates award ticket upgrades from revenue ticket upgrades by means other than booking class e.g. N vs. T etc.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I was rebooked in Y due to IROPS a few days ago (SYD-LAX-PHX). My new LAX-PHX upgrade cleared immediately, and this was more than 24 hours before that flight's departure (I'm Silver). I assume that the LAX-PHX portion must have been rebooked into Y (instead of the T I purchased), accounting for the early upgrade, but I don't know -- I never saw the ticket before the upgrade confirmed.

The miles did credit like a T fare (at 50% for DL operated by VA -- argh, though I should be able to get original routing credit).
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Ti22
They're probably getting back at you for spelling it IRROPS...
^
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ryanfinger

Interesting. Any rebookings into Y IME has been due to laziness on the agent part. NWA used to rebook me into F (IRROPS or VDB), whereas DL doesn't seem to do this. IME they rebook into original booking class.

Originally Posted by loyalStarwoodfan
Interesting data point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.