Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade with miles/didnt take any miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle

On Tuesday of this week (Feb 28th) I bought 2 K class multi city tickets for an upcoming trip. I booked this through the medallion line so I could use miles to upgrade. 12500 x 2 for 3 segments. The tickets have hit my credit card but Delta has not taken any of my miles away? Did I get lucky or do they take them at some other time?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
In my experience, they'll snap them up a few weeks before departure. I have no clue why they don't do it at the same time.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
They'll get them, but it will be closer to or at departure.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:49 pm

The miles get pulled once the ticket is reissued.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by akonradi
+1 Reissue desk delay. No idea why the computer doesn't process it all at once. Seems like a lot of wasted effort.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Indeed, and I suggest calling back and making sure the ticket is reissued otherwise you may have the same unpleasant experience that many others have had with disappearing upgrade bucket availability.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
I already have confirmed tickets in first/bus. I got three emails. One for my K ticket. One for my wires K ticket. The last one with a subject line that said Delta Reservation Itinerary. It had my conformation number (same as both the original tickets) First leg confirmed in Z and the other 3 are confirmed in G. They way I understood the person on the phone they booked and reissued while I was on the phone. I am hoping that I just got lucky and someone forgot to take the miles.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by daveo4ua
I already have confirmed tickets in first/bus. I got three emails. One for my K ticket. One for my wires K ticket. The last one with a subject line that said Delta Reservation Itinerary. It had my conformation number (same as both the original tickets) First leg confirmed in Z and the other 3 are confirmed in G. They way I understood the person on the phone they booked and reissued while I was on the phone. I am hoping that I just got lucky and someone forgot to take the miles.
You should get separate receipts and a new ticket number after reissue. Typically a ticket won't be reissued for a few weeks unless you are close to departure. I've never had a phone agent send a ticket off for immediate reissue unless I specifically asked for it.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the itinerary page and click on the "details" link next to your ticket number (in the "payment details section), you'll get a popup window. The "class" column in the popup window's chart will show your ticketed class of service. If it still shows K, the ticket has not been reissued.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
If it's a domestic ticket and you get a free medallion upgrade, they won't take the miles. This happened to me once using an SWU. My complimentary upgrade came through at 5 days out and my certificate never got used.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
If it's a domestic ticket and you get a free medallion upgrade, they won't take the miles. This happened to me once using an SWU. My complimentary upgrade came through at 5 days out and my certificate never got used.
This is irrelevant since the OP is already confirmed in G/Z.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL FO, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, ICH Plat, National EC
Probably as bad if not worse than the timing of when they deduct miles for mileage upgrades. When I've done it in the past, I almost thought I got away with a free upgrade only to see the 25k miles sucked from my account a week or so later.

They always get their miles
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
This is irrelevant since the OP is already confirmed in G/Z.
Whatever...
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
As has been said, the ticket has not been reissued yet so for the love of all, do NOT assume that the miles will not be deducted. Think about it as if you wrote a cheque. YOU know the 'money' ie miles are gone, but if you spend them again, the second charge is the one that's going to bounce you back into coach.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Agree with FlyGirl (of course - who would be better at that question!).

I myself call at the T-30 and ask them to reissue the ticket or transfer me to the reissue desk. Has worked like a charm every time.

Twice I got lucky and I kept my seat and miles never disappeared. Then I got unlucky and thought I was in J...the agent told me I was not. I don't take chance anymore. :-)
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by daveo4ua
On Tuesday of this week (Feb 28th) I bought 2 K class multi city tickets for an upcoming trip. I booked this through the medallion line so I could use miles to upgrade. 12500 x 2 for 3 segments. The tickets have hit my credit card but Delta has not taken any of my miles away? Did I get lucky or do they take them at some other time?
It's varied for me. The miles to upgrade a K ticket that I bought in late January for the 772 ATL-LAX flight tomorrow (and return flight a few days later) were deducted within about 72 hours after calling. The miles to upgrade some M and Q fares last summer into and out of SEA took at least 4-6 weeks to post. All flights had G/Z inventory available at the time of calling Delta, so it's not that there was a waitlist delay.

So, quite literally, YMMV: your mileage may vary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.