Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Change Fees, ticket re-issue and other chinanigans!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Fees, ticket re-issue and other chinanigans!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by RealHJ
That will not happen.

You can bet that this so-called "supervisor" has notated the PNR with a note something like this:
"Customer is an @SS. Do not help him, whatever he asks (valid or not), just say no and make it clear that his business is not appreciated."
in order to ensure that no one else would overrule "his decision."

That is what DL staff will usually do. As it reflects badly if someone overrules their (mistaken or valid, doesn't matter) decision, they will make all sorts of things to notate the PNR to ensure that anyone else would not even take the time to look into the matter to see was it valid and legitimate or not. You can bet that this "supervisor" has made sure that any other time the customer calls in, even before he's finished asking the question, the answer will be a resounding NO.
^^ lol.....you are soo right.

I had a TA in MSP that once wrote some crap on my PNR when i tried doing an SDC. Basically, the agent was arguing that i had a Priceline type ticket, when it was actually from Delta Vacations. She kept saying Delta Vacations tickets are in the same class as Priceline & hotwire. I had an L fare btw.

I called DM desk and the first agent denied my request based on notes she must have read. 2nd DM agent made the changes with no questions.

Luckily for me i found out, after a chatty TA @ JFK spilled the tea. She asked me "Sir, what did you do to piss off one of the previous agents??". I was shocked and explained my ordeal at MSP and she laughed. She didnt reveal the exact comments, but she said the agent made notes requesting denial of SDC requests.
Ever since then, if a DL agent says NO to any of my requests, i dont argue.

"...hang up and try again"
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
Lesson (or rather question) #2
Is it really legal to basically say: "The ticket you just purchased is subject to restrictions, you can not read these restrictions anywhere, and we are not going to give you anything in writing stipulating these rules.
No, it isn't. A person cannot legally make a contract if they have no opportunity to know what they are agreeing to. I personally would complain to the DOT, but on this point only, which is the only legal issue.

IMO you should have hung up long before you got into the serious argument phase or asked for a supervisor. Usually, thanking them and calling back (maybe a few times) will get you what you want. Of course that is only if what you want is possible under DL's rules. In this case it is not possible.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm kind of surprise that nobody noticed how the events the OP posted really show how crappy DL SWUs are, when you can get a discounted BE ticket for less than the M fare.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by rylan
I'm kind of surprise that nobody noticed how the events the OP posted really show how crappy DL SWUs are, when you can get a discounted BE ticket for less than the M fare.
Everyone knows that already.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by naijaman
Luckily for me i found out, after a chatty TA @ JFK spilled the tea. She asked me "Sir, what did you do to piss off one of the previous agents??". I was shocked and explained my ordeal at MSP and she laughed. She didnt reveal the exact comments, but she said the agent made notes requesting denial of SDC requests.
Ever since then, if a DL agent says NO to any of my requests, i dont argue.

"...hang up and try again"
Excellent piece of advise. ^ I always follow this golden rule when dealing with DL.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by rylan
Call back and see if you get an agent who is actually helpful and will force it through.

If not, then I'd go for the change to refundable fare, cancel, and rebook.

One other thing... normally when you buy up to go from a coach to BE fare, (or from coach to refundable Y) the change fee is waived as well.
Can't FD just cancel the original ticket, eat the change fee, and book a new S fare ticket with the credit? Or are there somehow restrictions on the credit?

David
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Issue Reselved!!

The issue is resolved. I admit that I did not keep a cool head and figured out how to do it myself (maybe because I just came back from a 18 hour flight SYD-LAX-SLC), but a PM put me straight and told me how to do it. Yes, I should not have argued with the agent (never do), but I sort of slided into that and the absudity of the conversation got the better of me, as soon as I heard TF from Delta's black-ops department I should have realized there was nothing there and said goodbye and hung up, but you live and learn - thanks!

The solution:

1. Call the diamond desk and cancel the ticket
--> ticket now exists in the form of an e-credit minus $250 change fee

2. Hang up and call again and make a "new" reservation for the same itineray in "S"

3. Apply said eCredit towards the payment for this ticket and use CC to pay the
$ 17 difference

Leason learned: When meeting resistence and quoted the for me unknown rule associated with this ticket of needing to trade up to a more expensive ticket, I should have kindly bad goodbye, and gone to my cooler headed and more clear thinking friends at FT!

(And a big thank you to the private messenger with the excellent recipee on how to do this)

Issue closed - should be easy - but even though this is what happened, it wasn't THAT easy:

For those interested in knowing why it wasn't that easy, read on:

After having canceled my original ticket and converted it to an ecredit and called up to book the itinerary in BE, the agent came back with $8,800 fare. When I inquired why she couldn't get the "S" fare up, she said there was no "S" fare avaialble on the return and she had to price it in "J". I <thinking I was screwed> told her that I just refreshed my web-inquiry on the same itinerary and that it showed availability in "S" after which she put me on hold for at least 10 minutes <during which time I thought I was screwed, 'cause why would it take 10 minutes to get a fare I just got by a simple click?> She finally came back and said, "yes, now I have the S-fare, I don't know what that was about - so how do you want to pay?". When I told her I wanted to use an eCredit and gave her the old ticket number, she said the sytem wouldn't let her do it because the ticket had been "exchanged". <thinking I was screwed> I told her "no, it has been canceled, and I am now using that credit to pay for this new ticket" after which she again put me on hold for another 10 minutes. She then came back and said, "well isn't this ticket you just booked the same itinerary as the ticket you canceed?" - I confirmed <and for sure thought I now was screwed!> and then again reminded her that this was a canceled ticket that had been converted into an ecredit, and that I was following Delta's own rules to try and apply that credit towards a new ticket. I was put on hold for another 10 minutes and she came back and said, "I will have to send you to the re-issue desk" <and I thought "Not the dreaded re-issue desk! - now I am really, really screwed!> and basically spilled the beans to her and told her my story, and that I had been at the RID and that they would not help me because the viewed the transaction <correctly> as a conveluted exchange to circumvent the rules, and that I really, really wanted to stay with the Diamond desk! Another 10 minutes on hold and she came back and said that the agent she spoke to at the RID had assured her that he would apply the ecredit and charge me for the $17 difference. I reluctantly said "O-K - t-h-a-n-k y-o-u so much!! <still thinking I would be screwed when transferred out of the Diamond desk> However, the agent at the re-issue desk was all business, $17 dollars charged and the new S-fare ticket in my itinerary and an email recept received.

So GYEWorldTraveler's indifference to the perks in European BC not withstanding, I will get my champagne on the CDG-GVA-CDG portion of the travel!!

Last edited by Flying_Duck; Mar 1, 2012 at 11:54 am
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:25 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
So GYEWorldTraveler's indifference to the perks in European BC not withstanding, I will get my champagne on the CDG-GVA-CDG portion of the travel!!
^ Glad it worked out. Enjoy a couple of glasses^
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger
No, it isn't. A person cannot legally make a contract if they have no opportunity to know what they are agreeing to. I personally would complain to the DOT, but on this point only, which is the only legal issue.
+1

Airlines are covered by one single overarching rule: deceptive trade practice in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 41712. Which is to say sales practices cannot be unfair or deceptive as determined by the Secretary of Transportation. The OP wouldn't get a refund, but it would likely put pressure on DL to make sure fare rules were published.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by RealHJ
That will not happen.

You can bet that this so-called "supervisor" has notated the PNR with a note something like this:
"Customer is an @SS. Do not help him, whatever he asks (valid or not), just say no and make it clear that his business is not appreciated."
in order to ensure that no one else would overrule "his decision."

That is what DL staff will usually do. As it reflects badly if someone overrules their (mistaken or valid, doesn't matter) decision, they will make all sorts of things to notate the PNR to ensure that anyone else would not even take the time to look into the matter to see was it valid and legitimate or not. You can bet that this "supervisor" has made sure that any other time the customer calls in, even before he's finished asking the question, the answer will be a resounding NO.
They do the same thing in the Hotel industry; when a really rude guest starts complaining there is usually a note or 2 documented in the reservation for the desk agent to see. This is why it ALWAYS pays to be polite even if you have a legitimate complaint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.