Search

Crown room charging for drinks?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Crown room charging for drinks?

In the crown room recently and saw they have touchscreen register machines at the bar now, I watched as they "rang up" my drinks as $0.00. So I figured it was just a way for corporate to track how many drinks are being provided, and was not concerned. Then I watched a gentlemen walk up next to me, order a crown royal, and the bartender said. That will be $7, is that OK sir?

So is this there way of slowly going the way of the admirals club? Introduce pricing on some drinks in hopes of one day charging for all alcohol.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Crown Royal may be part of the Luxury Bar. There is a charge for some of those selections.

There is still free alcohol available, AFAIK (there better be this weekend).
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
It's called the Luxury Bar
Skyclub charging outrageous prices for new specialty liquors
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Thanks, I was wondering what it was all about.

I personally think it is a horrible idea that they do this, but then again does Delta ever really care what there customer base thinks?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
Any bottles that you can see at the back of the bar are paid drinks.

The well is free. Jack Daniels is my libation and it is still free. Look down when choosing.

Foo
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by foofiter
Any bottles that you can see at the back of the bar are paid drinks.The well is free. Jack Daniels is my libation and it is still free. Look down when choosing.

Foo
This is a bit of an overstatement. The ATL clubs (at least some of them) still have Tanqueray and Jack Daniels on the back shelf and there's no charge.

OP, welcome to the era of the Luxury Bar. I'm assuming you haven't been in a SC in the past 6 months or so?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsmith50
This is a bit of an overstatement. The ATL clubs (at least some of them) still have Tanqueray and Jack Daniels on the back shelf and there's no charge.

OP, welcome to the era of the Luxury Bar. I'm assuming you haven't been in a SC in the past 6 months or so?
I have many times, but I just drink Jack Daniels & beer while I am their, so I never noticed until I overheard someone ordering a "premium" drink.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:35 pm

WOW! I have never actually seen or heard anyone order the premium drinks... I guess they are selling.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
One of the skyclub bartenders told me Delta has an employee contest (it was at the JFK T3 club near gate 4). Whoever sells the most specialty booze wins a prize. For real.

Anyway, your also expected to leave a gratuity.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I personally think it is a horrible idea that they do this, but then again does Delta ever really care what there customer base thinks?
Their customer base has accepted is much like AS, CO & AA's did before. It's not charging for basic spirits it's for premium ones.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
WOW! I have never actually seen or heard anyone order the premium drinks... I guess they are selling.
I saw plenty of people purchasing champagne or premium cocktails last week in the E SC in ATL.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I saw plenty of people purchasing champagne or premium cocktails last week in the E SC in ATL.
I've been quite frankly stunned at the amount of people buying up to the premium drinks. This week in B in a 15 minute period of time about one in three was buying up. Couple of weeks ago in C it was over half in about a 20 minute time frame. The numbers have to be huge in the course of day.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
A female bartender in the club in BOS told me that she had sold a number of shots of Johnnie Walker Blue (which I think goes for $60 per). I think they are doing OK with it; I also think that it is an outside agent like Host Marriott (or whatever they are called these days) that stocks and prices the various kinds of hooch and otherwise runs the operations at these clubs, and they split the take with the Big D.

Interestingly, JW Blue goes for only $50 per shot in the MSP club near concourse F; a bargain if I've ever seen one.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Their customer base has accepted is much like AS, CO & AA's did before. It's not charging for basic spirits it's for premium ones.
For now. We'll see where it leads in a couple of years.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by vincentharris

Delta's been pretty clear in its intent to provide services that people will pay for. You have self-identified as not part of that premium (drink) crowd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.