Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by tennessetom
It is the pressure to get the plane out. Given all the time in the world all sorts of different decisions might be made more pdb, no first class seats going out empty, waiting two minutes for the passengers that you know just landed two gates down, rearranging overheads rather than grabbing bags to check. But the ga and fas are under pressure to get the plane closed and pushed back so decisions are made with that as top priority
These decisions should, however, take into consideration known factors. If the FA knows, for example, that the plane is being delayed because a group of FC customers is on a connecting flight which is late in arriving, then space should be reserved for their carry-ons in the FC cabin.

(I am recalling a VCE-FCO-TLV itinerary on AZ I made a few years ago, accompanied by my ex and our two (adult) children. The VCE-FCO flight landed over an hour late and as there were a number of passengers connecting to TLV the second flight was held up until they all boarded. My family had an entire row in FC booked -- on both sides of the aisle. Between the four of us, we had only one piece of size-appropriate hand luggage to be put in the bin, and as it contained many Murano glass pieces I was not about to agree to check it. I was not happy when I saw that there was no room available for it above or near the row in which we were sitting and (politely, and in Italian) told this to the FA -- who then proceeded to move one of the larger bags to Economy after verifying that it did not belong to any other FC passenger.)
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tizzette
The frustration is why the FAs did not look for bin space for his bag, force him to check it, THEN go shifting bags around and find more space.
It was the GA that made him gate check it, not the FA. He argued with FA, after they moved bags around to go from zero space to space left for two bags.
hortkie likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I've boarded on time in FC and found no immediate space for my bag because people who boarded ahead of me (but were sitting in the back of the plane) shoved their bags above my seat's location. I found space, but I had to take up the room that probably belonged to Comfort Plus.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
On a flight to Cancun with my buddy, someone came to his bin space and took out his bag and replaced it with hers. She tried to put it in another bin, but it didn't fit and she left it in the aisle. We didn't realize this until he saw his bag in the aisle.

When my buddy asked why she did this, she said "because her seat was close".

"Do you know who I am, my seat is near yours and therefore I am entitled to pre-filled bin space"

The FA offered to take her bag out, but my buddy didn't want to delay the flight and accepted putting his bag back about 5 rows behind us.

The best part is the lady was non apologetic the whole time - in fact, she had a bit of an attitude when asked why she did this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
On a flight to Cancun with my buddy, someone came to his bin space and took out his bag and replaced it with hers. She tried to put it in another bin, but it didn't fit and she left it in the aisle. We didn't realize this until he saw his bag in the aisle.

"Do you know who I am, my seat is near yours and therefore I am entitled to pre-filled bin space"

The FA offered to take her bag out, but my buddy didn't want to delay the flight and accepted putting his bag back about 5 rows behind us.

The best part is the lady was non apologetic the whole time - in fact, she had a bit of an attitude when asked why she did this.
Which one of them said this -

Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by uppereastsider

Why didn't your buddy accept the FA's offer to take her bag out? It would have been appropriate payback for having removed your buddy's bag.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why didn't your buddy accept the FA's offer to take her bag out? It would have been appropriate payback for having removed your buddy's bag.
Good question. She'll just keep doing this to other people.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I've boarded on time in FC and found no immediate space for my bag because people who boarded ahead of me (but were sitting in the back of the plane) shoved their bags above my seat's location. I found space, but I had to take up the room that probably belonged to Comfort Plus.
Why do the FAs not police this?
strickerj, Wunk and Cotumely like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k

That's the eternal million-dollar question.

Why don't they police a lot of things? A purse, backpack,wheeled-suitcase, shopping bag, and a giant stuffed animal souvenir counts as 5 carryons in my book, and yet I saw a lady get on with this, and the FAs helped her and made fun small talk about the teddy bear.
strickerj and Cotumely like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
I will put back my bag, and take her bag in the back of the plane.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by zitsky
Which one of them said this -

Sorry, meant to clarify that was the attitude/perception. The DYKWIA attitude of her, but no one said that
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Didn't want to delay the flight, they were rushing to get everyone in. I told him the same thing that she'll only do it again, but we all just wanted to go on vacation
levilevi and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by AA100k
Because then people complain they're not getting their PDBs ;-)

Some airports/GAs are really good about enforcing "two bags". At RDU (my home airport) I've repeatedly been told to tuck my very small crossbody passport bag into my tote because I can't have 3 bags. Other GAs/airports let people with 4 bags and a huge teddy get on the plane. Inconsistency drives me crazy.
cheaptom likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:54 am

Yesterday on the ATL-ORD (so a small plane - MD88) one guy in F brought two roller boards and a backpack and stored ALL 3 items in the overhead bins. By the time I got to my seat, there was virtually no space in F overhead, so I just stored my stuff underneath the seat, although I would have preferred to store those items in overhead bin (but other F pax behind me had larger items).

I didn't realize the cause of the situation until we landed and the guy got all 3 of his items from the overhead. I just thought that this is what I get for not being a gate lice. I don't get why he thought it was appropriate to do this. And no I didn't say anything. What's the point? It's not like he is going to change his behavior.
baqnav and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:59 am

This thread would be better with stories of arguments and fist fights. (Kidding)
MiscMel70 and Cotumely like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.