Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BeatCal
But I believe they are supposed to be in uniform
Nope. Just a military ID per the announcement. And I've never actually had them check my ID as I board if I've opted to use the military boarding. I use it if I'm in Y/C+ to get my bag over my seat. If I'm in F, I don't. I just wait and board with FC because then I'd feel like I was someone who just couldn't wait to get to my F seat when it's the very next group to board anyway.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Some cities don't follow this policy. At least in SAT, a plane could be half full with active duty uniformed services members.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Some cities don't follow this policy. At least in SAT, a plane could be half full with active duty uniformed services members.
So true... I fly in and out of AUS/SAT all the time to NYC and half of the plane is either active duty military, defense contractors, or former military plus the occasional crunchy mom types or hipsters.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles 1M & DM ; Hyatt Discoverist
I'm in FC on a Compass flight; move all the bags to give me all the OH space.

Was on Compass metal on DL flight this morning from PDX-SEA. Was in the club and overheard a couple debating whether they needed to rush to the gate, and I told them DL boarding passes usually had a 10 minute cushion before boarding, and most domestic flights board 30 minutes before. Man says: "Oh, that's for people like me who are usually late". Woman says: "We know, we fly a lot".

They quickly exit the club, I stay five minutes more to finish up some work and mosey to the gate. I arrive and they're boarding special assist, and there's a line for PREM boarding already. I get in that line, but my new "friends" are nowhere around. (Did they stop for coffee? There was some at the club...)

I board and have no rollerboard because I've checked, so I have a large backpack and a laptop bag. I slip laptop under the FC seat and stow the backpack in OH, turning it on its side. Third party FC PAX boards and doesn't even try to turn his bag wheels or handles first, leaving small space between my backpack and his rollerboard.

Last FC to board is my "friends" from the club. They are stowing while I ask FA if they have a closet for my coat (they rarely do on Compass EMB 175), and FA confirms no. I wait for PAX to clear aisle and get up to stow my coat. I find that my backpack has been moved by my "friends" to OH in coach, so they they could stow a rollerboard on its side. I say: "You really should ask the owner before moving someone's bag". Man mumbles "Sorry". I then rejigger both third-party bag and my "friend"'s bag to be handle first, and bin closes fine. Now there's ample room for my backpack and coats. I tell Man: "I stowed your baggage correctly and now everything fits", he scoffs.

On the ground, I am surprised to see him go back to coach OH quickly upon seatbelts-off. Turns out between him and wife, they had four carry-ons that wouldn't fit under the seat, so he stowed two in coach and two in FC. (Keep in mind that on the EMB 175, only one side OH can fit standard OH luggage).

I wanted to say upon deplaning: "Soon, you'll fly enough to learn how to stow bags correctly", but that seemed unnecessarily cruel.

The amusing part is I'm about to board SEA-AMS and I overheard them saying they are "only in coach" for this flight. I'm in D1 with a GUC. Hoping to see them during boarding when I turn to go up front. Although, I'm half expecting my OH to be filled with their bags when I get there.

TIL: Some FC passengers are more entitled to OH space than the rest of us, even those of us in FC.
Gnopps, Dovster, Statman and 5 others like this.

Last edited by shipitfish; Jan 30, 2019 at 1:00 pm Reason: grammar typo
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by shipitfish
Turns out between him and wife, they had four carry-ons that wouldn't fit under the seat
If they each had two carryons that only fit in the overhead bin then they had one too many carry on bags and shame on the gate agent for not forcing a gate check of two of the four bags.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did he place anything under the seats in front of them?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
How did this thread go from October to almost February without a post? Did FlyerTalkers really make it through the entire holiday season without a single DYKWIA story?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TuxTom
How did this thread go from October to almost February without a post? Did FlyerTalkers really make it through the entire holiday season without a single DYKWIA story?
I was kind of wondering that too!!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe all of the DYKWIAs were celebrating the holiday season.....at the North Pole and flying Reindeer Air exclusively. They were too busy making toys to do any MRs.
ACCDraw and MarkP24 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TuxTom
Because most people don't like to create lies about how they heroically fended off almost completely implausible behavior by others during the holiday season.

Last edited by bergamini; Feb 1, 2019 at 8:27 am
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
If they each had two carryons that only fit in the overhead bin then they had one too many carry on bags and shame on the gate agent for not forcing a gate check of two of the four bags.
since it was a fairly small plane, I wonder if it was one of those “here’s your gate check ticket, leave the the bag at X and it will be stowed”. Where the travelers conveniently forgot to leave the bag before boarding.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 3furballs

since it was a fairly small plane, I wonder if it was one of those “here’s your gate check ticket, leave the the bag at X and it will be stowed”. Where the travelers conveniently forgot to leave the bag before boarding.
Sounds about right!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles 1M & DM ; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did he place anything under the seats in front of them?
The woman's purse. Admittedly, it's possible one of his four OH bags (a large backpack) might have fit under the seat, but he did not seem to even try. (I admit I'm bad at eyeballing a bag and being sure it won't fit under seat -- I'm a FF but never learned that skill; always been bad at spatial stuff like that.)

Last edited by shipitfish; Feb 5, 2019 at 2:21 pm Reason: typo fix
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by shipitfish

TIL: Some FC passengers are more entitled to OH space than the rest of us, even those of us in FC.
All animals First Class Passengers are equal, but some animals First Class Passengers are more equal than others.
MSPeconomist and spamkiller like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mridley2
All animals First Class Passengers are equal, but some animals First Class Passengers are more equal than others.
DYKWGOI = do you know who George Orwell is?
spamkiller likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.