Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by AKC6
Or maybe, "You're sitting in my seat." Then, in the ensuing apoplexy, "Oh, now I remember. I got upgraded. That never happens to me. I'm only a Silver.."
Lol! Funny you say that. The older gentleman next to me on that same flight asked me to grab his personal item out of the bin. It had a Silver Medallion tag on it. I was so tempted to ask him if I could buy it outright. I lost mine years ago...
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
You'd downgrade yourself just to get away from a nutty lady who policed the boarding lanes?
It was a short flight, and I wouldn’t view getting away from her as a downgrade. Rather, it would’ve been an opportunity to give someone else a seat in F in exchange for enduring a nut for a short time.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Not really sure if either the lady or me is at fault here or a DYKWIA, but I ran into the boarding police today at Gate 11 in SAV- This lady was standing in the front of the Sky Priority lane and calling out the boarding zones as the wheelchair-bound passengers were pre-boarding. I walked up near the gate agent podium but away from the boarding lanes and the lady looked at me and said in a very stern tone “They are pre-boarding right now. Your zone hasn’t been called yet.” And I replied “Thank you Ms. Boarding Hall Monitor, some of us do fly more than once a year, and I’m very aware of how Delta boards their planes.” She started to shake her head and then called me an a**hole abd jerk to the gate agent. Obviously, she was the first to board in PREM, but I had to chuckle as she walked back to 10A while I settled in at 2C.

This was one case where, had she been in 2D, I would have battlefield upgraded anyone who wanted 2C.

I tried to order her a cheese and grape plate, but they weren’t provisioned on this flight.

I’m happy knowing that ’ll be coming home to my gorgeous, young wife while this miserable old crank goes home to her cats 😂😂
Since you asked, I'll go with a little of each. It was her, until the cat comment. Generally, anyone who is gate licing is at fault until proven otherwise.

With these customers, I've often found it most effective to look them squarely in the face and say, "I'm sorry, I don't speak English," and then go back to doing whatever I was doing.

Mike
diburning, jinglish and SeaHawg like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
So I get to T1 to catch my severely oversold flight to DCA. I was plotting my bump strategy as early as last night, but sadly they didn't need anyone in the end. Anyway, just before boarding begins, this lady storms up to the GA and demands a seat, saying that she should get on this flight after getting stuck in FL for an hour this morning. GA tells her that he has to go by the standby list, and suggests that she head over to CS (this is one of the automatic gates that only has one GA. A lovely idea BTW for fully-loaded A321s). She proceeds to yell at him about and it, and he calmly repeats his previous instruction to head over to CS. She storms off in a huff.

Fast foward to the end of boarding, where I was waiting to see if the GA needed a volunteer. He didn't, so I got in line to gate check my bag. The lady returns after somehow getting a confirmed seat, and starts taking photos of the GA, with the obvious intention of writing in a complaint. I suggest that she knock it off, that it's not his fault that she missed her connection, and that he's doing his best, considering that he's the only GA there. She continues to take photos, and tells me to mind my own damn business (despite the fact that she's holding up the line at this point). This is the moment where I perhaps entered into the wrong, as I told her to go have relations with herself.

The story ends with me getting the last seat in FC, the GA getting a JWD, and the woman taking her middle seat in the last row. The death stare she gave me as I settled into my seat was priceless.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
So I get to T1 to catch my severely oversold flight to DCA. I was plotting my bump strategy as early as last night, but sadly they didn't need anyone in the end. Anyway, just before boarding begins, this lady storms up to the GA and demands a seat, saying that she should get on this flight after getting stuck in FL for an hour this morning. GA tells her that he has to go by the standby list, and suggests that she head over to CS (this is one of the automatic gates that only has one GA. A lovely idea BTW for fully-loaded A321s). She proceeds to yell at him about and it, and he calmly repeats his previous instruction to head over to CS. She storms off in a huff.

Fast foward to the end of boarding, where I was waiting to see if the GA needed a volunteer. He didn't, so I got in line to gate check my bag. The lady returns after somehow getting a confirmed seat, and starts taking photos of the GA, with the obvious intention of writing in a complaint. I suggest that she knock it off, that it's not his fault that she missed her connection, and that he's doing his best, considering that he's the only GA there. She continues to take photos, and tells me to mind my own damn business (despite the fact that she's holding up the line at this point). This is the moment where I perhaps entered into the wrong, as I told her to go have relations with herself.

The story ends with me getting the last seat in FC, the GA getting a JWD, and the woman taking her middle seat in the last row. The death stare she gave me as I settled into my seat was priceless.
She clearly had cats to go home to😂😂
trooper and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:35 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I told her to go have relations with herself.
HEAVENS to Betsy!!!
sky303 and spamkiller like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Yeah. Not a fine moment. But I was up all last night after having a bad burger, so my patience was somewhat thin.

I will add that I also got an Uber before she did.
sky303 likes this.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Sep 4, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I will add that I also got an Uber before she did.
ahh...sometimes it's the small things
puck021 and olegator like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:12 pm
Taz

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I’m a proud cat owner, but this lady is like...

Tuck a half dozen more cats in there and you have my neighbor.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:26 pm

GA tells her that he has to go by the standby lists.
Just wondering if that is 100% true. Obviously the Customer Service desk got her on your flight. Couldn't the GA have done so? In a case like this, it's very possible that Customer Service said something like "I'll be happy to take care of it now, but the GA could have done it on his end." I woulda stayed out of that one if I were you and! All she has to do is tell security that you used the dreaded F word to her in a threatening manner, and then suddenly you're on a later flight.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Delta's policy used to be that if you got bumped from a plane, you were first in standby for the next available. I think the GA was wrong on this one and probably should have been written up
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Delta's policy used to be that if you got bumped from a plane, you were first in standby for the next available. I think the GA was wrong on this one and probably should have been written up
But this sounds like she missed her flight/connection for some reason, not that DL bumped her. And perhaps there were other misconnects/bumps/whatever on the standby list that would be ahead of her.

If the GA had decided to just give her a seat without investigating where she landed on the SB priority, the GA could have been giving her a seat that should actually have gone to someone else with higher priority. This is exactly why SB lists exist and why GAs should be encouraged to follow them.

The fact that the GA was working the gate solo and didn't have capacity (or desire) to add her to the SB list and then clear her is a separate issue, but I'm not going to advocate for GAs just confirming on to a flight any random pax that shows up demanding a seat.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AKC6
Or maybe, "You're sitting in my seat." Then, in the ensuing apoplexy, "Oh, now I remember. I got upgraded. That never happens to me. I'm only a Silver.."
Nah, I think this would be better.

"You're sitting in my seat." Then, in the ensuing apoplexy, "Oh, I always sit in 10B, but I forgot this was one of the tiny planes and 10B is not Delta 1."
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Only one person can be "first." This is why there's a standby list.
gooselee and jinglish like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee

The fact that the GA was working the gate solo and didn't have capacity (or desire) to add her to the SB list and then clear her is a separate issue, but I'm not going to advocate for GAs just confirming on to a flight any random pax that shows up demanding a seat.
In this case, the customer service agent clearly determined that the lady in question deserved to be on that flight. So the question is, why couldn't the GA have done the same? Like you said, it's a matter of the GA not having the desire nor the capacity to help the pax...neither of which is the pax's fault. She had a right to be upset. Taking photos of the GA is probably taking it too far, however!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.