Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:26 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rsqrott
I don't know if this qualifies as DYKWIA or if the guy was just a jerk.

<Snip - Snip>

Him: "You didn't let me, I was here first!"
Well, why didn't you introduce yerself! I'm alwayz eager to meet fellow FlyerTalkerz!

gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
I don't know if this qualifies as DYKWIA or if the guy was just a jerk.

I was flying out of my local airport last month and needed to check my bag. I was waiting on the Sky Priority line behind another couple. While the agent assisted the couple in front of me a man in the non Sky Priority line says, "There's a queue here." Realizing that he's speaking to me I look up and he repeats himself about the queue and gestures to the line that he's on.
Me: "I know. This is the sky priority line."
Him: "I'm sky priority!"
Me: "But you're not on this line."
Him: "But I was. So I'm ahead of you."
Me: "Did they tell you to move to the other line?" I should know better than to engage...
Him: "No. But I was here before you."

At this point he gets off of the line, leaving his family ("where's pop pop going?") and stands in front of me saying, "I was here before you, I'm ahead of you." He then walks up to the agent who looks over at me. I shake my head and say, "I don't care as long as I make my flight." . The GA checks him in and then he calls over to me "Are you going to Detroit? Because that flight's delayed."
Me: "That's why I let you get ahead of me."
Him: "You didn't let me, I was here first!"

Meanwhile his family is still waiting on the other line.
I doubt the guy was actually Sky Priority, so your post has taught me an important lesson. Don't give more information than necessary so a liar won't learn what to lie about. If I find myself in a similar position, I now know to respond by saying this is the "special" line. If he says he's "special," I can retort . . . "yes, you certainly are!"
rsqrott, strickerj and defrosted like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Are we taking bets on whether this guy was actually SP vs. whether he just thought he was going to be in the sky and being next was his own priority in that moment?
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
I assume you gave thanks that you were not related to him, unlike his unfortunate family members.
Oh very good!
And then there were my internal responses to "where's pop pop going?" ("back into his straightjacket")

Originally Posted by davetravels
Well, why didn't you introduce yerself! I'm alwayz eager to meet fellow FlyerTalkerz!
I would expect a FTer to come up with a better excuse!

Originally Posted by GatorBlues
I doubt the guy was actually Sky Priority, so your post has taught me an important lesson. Don't give more information than necessary so a liar won't learn what to lie about. If I find myself in a similar position, I now know to respond by saying this is the "special" line. If he says he's "special," I can retort . . . "yes, you certainly are!"
You know what, you are absolutely right! I completely didn't catch that and I call myself a savvy New Yorker.
Now I'm prepared for next time.
Him: "there's a queue here."
Me: "there certainly is."
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Me: "I know. This is the sky priority line."
Him: "I'm sky priority!"
Me: "But you're not on this line."
Him: "But I was. So I'm ahead of you."
I was wondering the other day if this was going to happen to me. The guy in front of me in the Sky Priority line abandoned the busy SP line for the almost empty normal line. You could tell some of us were contemplating the same. But then his luck changed and I got to the front of the line before him. I half expected him to say something... he didn't count on the non SP agents pulling from the SP line. Thankfully he was a normal human and realized he made a bad call. Unlike the nutter who made a scene.
gooselee, levilevi and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by defrosted
I was wondering the other day if this was going to happen to me. The guy in front of me in the Sky Priority line abandoned the busy SP line for the almost empty normal line. You could tell some of us were contemplating the same. But then his luck changed and I got to the front of the line before him. I half expected him to say something... he didn't count on the non SP agents pulling from the SP line. Thankfully he was a normal human and realized he made a bad call. Unlike the nutter who made a scene.
I did the same recently. The SP was not moving and I was first. There were several of us who were patiently waiting. It seemed everyone had ticket changes whereas I just need to check a box. The normal line was moving and was empty so I moved over. Well then the SP finally moved, GRRR. However, the guy at the front of the SP was gracious and let me go. I initially declined as it was my mistake. He noticed all I needed was to check a box and would be quick whereas everyone else had ticketing issues and said to go. I thanked him before and after I checked my box.
SDQBound, wrp96, gooselee and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
However, the guy at the front of the SP was gracious and let me go. I initially declined as it was my mistake. He noticed all I needed was to check a box and would be quick whereas everyone else had ticketing issues and said to go. I thanked him before and after I checked my box.
That would be the anti-DYKWIA story. Nice! For all the stories that make you lose faith in humanity it is nice to hear the opposite.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
"This line is reserved for members of our Matterhorn program!"
SDQBound, bennos, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:26 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
DTW-DCA 2 weeks ago. SkyPriority line was over 30 passengers, all waiting to board a delayed flight near midnight. When PREM was called, Mr. Purple polo shirt came out of nowhere and cut right in front of me. The GA noticed what happened and told him that there was a line and he needed to join it. As my BP was scanned, he said "Not for me, I'm a Diamond". The GA didn't want to confront him so scanned his BP and allowed him to board. He continued to brag down the jetway how he was a Diamond and he was #1 for 0 seats. I took my seat in row 2 while he continued his parade to row 10.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:05 am

I enjoy reading these stories. I would be more upset at some of this behavior. It would be too sad if one of these line cutters accidentally tripped over someone's bag. LOL
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
DTW-DCA 2 weeks ago. SkyPriority line was over 30 passengers, all waiting to board a delayed flight near midnight. When PREM was called, Mr. Purple polo shirt came out of nowhere and cut right in front of me.
I don't see the problem. Premium boards before Sky Priority. What was Mr. Purple polo shirt supposed to do?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:26 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I don't see the problem. Premium boards before Sky Priority. What was Mr. Purple polo shirt supposed to do?
The problem was that although he was PREM, at least the 10 of us were on PREM and it was a surprisingly organized boarding process. He was supposed to join the line behind the last person in zone PREM, not in front of the line.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gooselee
Are we taking bets on whether this guy was actually SP vs. whether he just thought he was going to be in the sky and being next was his own priority in that moment?
You have to be Kryptonium Medallion to be SkyPriority. Are you Kryptonium?
gooselee and TheHorta like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Did you not read that OP was in row 2? Even if not DM, OP would be PREM.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:27 pm

Who wears a *purple* polo shirt anyway? Geez.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky
Who wears a *purple* polo shirt anyway? .
A royal polo player.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.