Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
LOL.

Kind of related, just went through security at MDW. There was a clump at the entry to the Pre line because some guy, mid-40s maybe and in a suit, was being turned away because he didn't have Pre on his BP. Overheard him asking what Pre was anyway and the line dragon giving a pretty standard response and pointing to a sign.

As the rest of us are getting BPs checked and moving into the line, guy goes into the general lines area and walks up to the priority line. Asks the dragon there "What's this line all about?" and they dragon starts explaining its for FC, frequent flyers, etc. Guy gets huffy and says something about how come he's not priority.

By this time I'm walking down the hallway towards the TSA doc checker already but I took one last look over my shoulder to see him stomping off to the general line.

No idea what this guy was all about, but he certainly carried himself as if he was being wronged by being sent away from two security lines that he didn't even know the purpose for.
Saw shorter lines and figured they must be for him. Thinks all those people in that long line are just inattentive. It's called self-absorbed, the general source of all DYKWIA.. and all seat poaching..and all ridiculously loud mobile phone users.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
My exact feelings... They (GAs) never say anything to the numerous gate lice standing around and trying to board early, but they sure say stuff to us.
I mostly fly AA domestically, but I'll buy a DL ticket via ATL if I can get a good fare in F -- the FCM tickets on DL are sometimes even cheaper than coach on AA.

Anyhow, the only place where I have been repeatedly harassed by gate lice is ATL. Maybe AA gate lice are more docile. I've experienced other pax push me aside (physical contact) to board into coach during F boarding (when I am on a paid F ticket). The first time I figured he must have seen my low Medallion level on my boarding pass and assumed that he had priority. But the second time it happened, my boarding pass was in my pocket.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
It didn't, though.
But it did:

I always fill out the survey, when I receive one, but nothing is every done about it because GAs act the exact same way on the last three flights we've had in Delta One while boarding. NEVER had a problem on board in Delta One. Had a flight attendant accidentally pour coffee on me, in Delta Comfort coming back from LHR, (she slammed down the coffee on the cart and I was on the other side of it), get pissed when I grabbed napkins off the carts, and tried to scold me for it. Later in the flight, she tried to explain to me that Woodford Reserve was one of the best single barrel whiskies and shouldn't be mixed with anything. After the second time hearing this from her pompous self, I responded,"...if it's served on a Delta flight it isn't that good!" Maybe it's just my personality, but I tend to be a fight fire with fire type of guy...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
It didn't, though.
But it did:
I always fill out the survey, when I receive one, but nothing is every done about it because GAs act the exact same way on the last three flights we've had in Delta One while boarding. NEVER had a problem on board in Delta One. Had a flight attendant accidentally pour coffee on me, in Delta Comfort coming back from LHR, (she slammed down the coffee on the cart and I was on the other side of it), get pissed when I grabbed napkins off the carts, and tried to scold me for it. Later in the flight, she tried to explain to me that Woodford Reserve was one of the best single barrel whiskies and shouldn't be mixed with anything. After the second time hearing this from her pompous self, I responded,"...if it's served on a Delta flight it isn't that good!" Maybe it's just my personality, but I tend to be a fight fire with fire type of guy...
Except now you're criss-crossing posts to try to make your point, as Carl Johnson's post

There is a world of difference when responding like this:
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd go with "yes, that's the cabin I paid for."
And then responding like this:
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
My response would have been closer to "Do you aways make in appropriate assumptions about passengers?"
My observation was that the reply more closely resembled the latter. I'm not condoning the GA's behavior or 'being prejudice', but I'm surprised to see that this type of response is applauded. I'm fairly certain that one of the lessons from pre-K to law school, at least for me, and then in life more generally was two wrongs don't make a right. And of course, there's that folksy saying about getting more bees with honey than with vinegar.. sheesh.
The post you quoted, with the bolded statement "After the second time hearing this from her pompous self, I responded,"...if it's served on a Delta flight it isn't that good!" was made AFTER Carl Johnson's post saying "It didn't, though". Robbyb03's initial post that you responded to was made before Carl Johnson's post but that's not what you quoted and bolded in your most recent post, and Robby03's post wasn't even quoted in the post Carl Johnson replied to, so you're either getting your posts confused or you're intentionally misrepresenting posts at this point to make your case.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
However, I have had PLENTY of issues with other pax...right down to them demanding to see my BP. I deal with it by reaching in my pocket and pulling out my middle finger.
Recently I was in C+ on a ten hour flight. I boarded late in the process, placing my two very small bags (computer bag and small nylon backpack with a change of clothes) in the overhead above my seat, which was a bulkhead. There was an older couple just behind me, across the aisle, for whom English was not a first language. The husband bolted out of his seat and started yelling at me in fractured English that the overhead space was only for C+ customers. I just walked away and got an FA. By the time we got back to my seat, he had taken my bags out of the overhead an put them on the floor in front of my seat. The FA explained to him that I was in C+. He seemed upset that a "commoner" would be permitted to sit in C+.

A few minutes later the same gentleman turned his music on without headphones. Blaring. The same FA walked by and told him he needed headphones, to which he replied if he put in headphones, his wife could not hear the music. When the FA wouldn't yield, he reminded her that they were C+ passengers. Although I did not know his native tongue, it seemed obvious his wife was saying, "Behave or we will be thrown off the flight."
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Except now you're criss-crossing posts to try to make your point, as Carl Johnson's post

The post you quoted, with the bolded statement "After the second time hearing this from her pompous self, I responded,"...if it's served on a Delta flight it isn't that good!" was made AFTER Carl Johnson's post saying "It didn't, though". Robbyb03's initial post that you responded to was made before Carl Johnson's post but that's not what you quoted and bolded in your most recent post, and Robby03's post wasn't even quoted in the post Carl Johnson replied to, so you're either getting your posts confused or you're intentionally misrepresenting posts at this point to make your case.
I was wrong, though. I don't know what I was thinking. I believe "we know how boarding works" is along the same lines as "do you always make inappropriate assumptions about passengers?" I just happen to think that sort of response is perfectly fine. But that's not what I said; I got myself scrambled up.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The same FA walked by and told him he needed headphones, to which he replied if he put in headphones, his wife could not hear the music. When the FA wouldn't yield, he reminded her that they were C+ passengers.
The mind reels. Aren't the people who are going to be bothered by the music ALSO among the exalted who are sitting in C+? And couldn't the wife, as an exalted C+ passenger, watch or listen to whatever she wanted, using the complimentary entertainment?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

I indicated that the first comment re boarding struck me as DYKWIA. The second comment that 'if it's served on Delta flight it isn't good!', I took to be indicative of yet more DYWKIA behavior, which would tend to substantiate my prior post.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:18 pm

I indicated that the first comment re boarding struck me as DYKWIA. The second comment that 'if it's served on Delta flight it isn't good!', I took to be indicative of yet more DYWKIA behavior, which would tend to substantiate my prior post.
Or that I'm tired of the pompous attitudes of gate agents in Atlanta and flight attendants spilling coffee on me, never apologizing, and then trying to tell me how to drink whiskey like they're an expert in mixology... That's not how you should treat customers at all. A dumb or smart ... comment shouldn't be ignored. I'm a fight fire with fire type of person.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:20 pm

Recently I was in C+ on a ten hour flight. I boarded late in the process, placing my two very small bags (computer bag and small nylon backpack with a change of clothes) in the overhead above my seat, which was a bulkhead. There was an older couple just behind me, across the aisle, for whom English was not a first language. The husband bolted out of his seat and started yelling at me in fractured English that the overhead space was only for C+ customers. I just walked away and got an FA. By the time we got back to my seat, he had taken my bags out of the overhead an put them on the floor in front of my seat. The FA explained to him that I was in C+. He seemed upset that a "commoner" would be permitted to sit in C+.

A few minutes later the same gentleman turned his music on without headphones. Blaring. The same FA walked by and told him he needed headphones, to which he replied if he put in headphones, his wife could not hear the music. When the FA wouldn't yield, he reminded her that they were C+ passengers. Although I did not know his native tongue, it seemed obvious his wife was saying, "Behave or we will be thrown off the flight."
Unfortunately, I suspect that C+ was full, but did you ask to be re-seated? I wouldn't want to be any-where near this guy for ten hours.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:12 pm

Getting to deal with these people is a guilty pleasure of mine.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:14 pm

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had any experience with GAs/FAs reaction to saying something like "Do you know who I am?" in a self-deprecating/funny way, intended solely as an inside joke (perhaps with a smile and a wink?) I'd love to try that at the next opportunity; but I fly a lot through AMS where I think the joke would be most appropriate and also at the same time most poorly received (due to cultural / language difference).
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
The husband bolted out of his seat and started yelling at me in fractured English that the overhead space was only for C+ customers.
I would have had a very hard time not going nose-to-nose with this a$$hat and telling him to STFU and put his ignorant a$$ back in his seat. Kudos to your restraint. Something about that kind of intrusion into my affairs is an instant hot-button push for me.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM/1M, AA Gold, Hilton LTD
Originally Posted by zeebanker
Just out of curiosity, has anyone had any experience with GAs/FAs reaction to saying something like "Do you know who I am?" in a self-deprecating/funny way, intended solely as an inside joke[...]
Not on DL.

Back in mid-2012, I had a USAir afternoon flight from CLT-FLL. I'm near enough to the door, in the slightly-more-legroom coach seats. The last guy on the plane tries to stuff his carry-on luggage under the seat, and it obviously doesn't fit. The FA recommends he checks the luggage, which he does after a little argument.

2-3 minutes later, we're inching away from the gate, and the FA goes through the safety demonstration. Mister Carryon starts talking on the phone. The FA stops the demo, and tells the fellow to kindly cease the conversation (and shut off the phone, as per the pre-2013 PED regulations). He says..."No, I need to finish my conversation."

The FA has none of it, and says "you're going to hold up the flight and everyone on it".

He says, "Do you know how much I fly?"

FA: "Do you really think you fly more than a flight attendant?"

Cabin laughter ensues, the phone conversation ends, and he shuts up the rest of the flight. I'd never thought much of that airline and its employees, but for once I was glad at some snarky employee response.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by zeebanker
Just out of curiosity, has anyone had any experience with GAs/FAs reaction to saying something like "Do you know who I am?" in a self-deprecating/funny way, intended solely as an inside joke (perhaps with a smile and a wink?) I'd love to try that at the next opportunity; but I fly a lot through AMS where I think the joke would be most appropriate and also at the same time most poorly received (due to cultural / language difference).
I haven't, but recently on a flight a Check-in agents thanked me for my diamond status. I said, thanks. It just means I travel too much. I then asked her, what status is after diamond? She shrugged... I said, divorce. It's my old man joke. She laughed and said, glad you have a sense of humor about status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.