Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL, GE, AAA
DYKWIA...The Next Generation

One thing I am now sure of is that DYKWIA's will continue on for generations to come...

I was on a flight from SLC to MCI. I was sitting in the first row of C+. A few minutes later, a family came on board to get to their seats in F. The mother and father were sitting in the last row of F on the right side, and their son, about 14 or 15, was sitting in the last row of F on the left side. The kid pulled his personal electronic device out of his backpack and sat the backpack on the floor next to his seat. He then said "my bag needs to be put in the overhead bin." Apparently, no one listened, so then he reiterated, "I SAID (with emphasis) my bag needs to be put in the overhead bin!" An FA came along, grabbed the backpack and placed it in the overhead bin. The kid didn't even thank her.

The FA then asked if he would like something to drink. He stated, "I will have a Coke." The father looked at the FA and said, "He'll have a Sprite." The kid looked at his father and said "I SAID I will have a Coke." The father reiterated, "I said you will have a Sprite." The kid then said one more time "I'M GETTING a Coke." The father then said very sternly, "You're GETTING a Sprite!". The kid took his headphones and forcibly put them over his ears with a loud "Hmmmmph!"

At the end of the flight, when we landed at MCI, the kid stated "I need my bag out of the overhead bin." The father gets up, opens up the overhead bin, grabs the backpack, and hands it to the son. The son looked at his father, and said "Why did you do that? That's why we have Flight Attendants! It's their job to do what we want them to do since we are flying First Class!"

After the family got off the plane, and before I got off, the FAs just shook their head in disbelief.

Last edited by JAldrich73; Aug 11, 2015 at 9:29 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JAldrich73
One thing I am now sure of is that DYKWIA's will continue on for generations to come...

I was on a flight from SLC to MCI. I was sitting in the first row of C+. A few minutes later, a family came on board to get to their seats in F. The mother and father were sitting in the last row of F on the right side, and their son, about 14 or 15, was sitting in the last row of F on the left side. The kid pulled his personal electronic device out of his backpack and sat the backpack on the floor next to his seat. He then said "my bag needs to be put in the overhead bin." Apparently, no one listened, so then he reiterated, "I SAID (with emphasis) my bag needs to be put in the overhead bin!" An FA came along, grabbed the backpack and placed it in the overhead bin. The kid didn't even thank her.

The FA then asked if he would like something to drink. He stated, "I will have a Coke." The father looked at the FA and said, "He'll have a Sprite." The kid looked at his father and said "I SAID I will have a Coke." The father reiterated, "I said you will have a Sprite." The kid then said one more time "I'M GETTING a Coke." The father then said very sternly, "You're GETTING a Sprite!". The kid took his headphones and forcibly put them over his ears with a loud "Hmmmmph!"

At the end of the flight, when we landed at MCI, the kid stated "I need my bad out of the overhead bin." The father gets up, opens up the overhead bin, grabs the backpack, and hands it to the son. The son looked at his father, and said "Why did you do that? That's why we have Flight Attendants! It's their job to do what we want them to do since we are flying First Class!"

After the family got off the plane, and before I got off, the FAs just shook their head in disbelief.
I'm guessing they were connecting in SLC after coming in from SNA.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm guessing they were connecting in SLC after coming in from SNA.
As someone who lived in South Orange County for two years I see what you did there.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by mrboom

Edit: I am not a sales type. I dislike people, especially lazy ones. I do not sell to anyone. I manage operations at an international level. Logic wins every time.
Well, then.

Karma will catch up with you one day. And those people you dislike may well laugh.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:13 am

Programs: DL GM
What's the difference between sprite and coke though? Both have a horseload of sugar.

And yeah, thanks JAldrich73! Now I need to restore a faith in humanity! Not at this thread, apparently...
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by naranjero
What's the difference between sprite and coke though? Both have a horseload of sugar.

And yeah, thanks JAldrich73! Now I need to restore a faith in humanity! Not at this thread, apparently...
Maybe Coke (except the decaf version) has caffeine and Sprite doesn't?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by JAldrich73
--- That's why we have Flight Attendants! It's their job to do what we want them to do since we are flying First Class!"

And when I get a chance this one definitely is going in the wiki.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
There are carry on rules for a reason. It is pretty annoying when you have to board late for whatever reason and there is no room for your legal carry-on, b/c others don't follow the rules.
Traveling to AK every year I see people boarding with their expensive fishing gear. If you can afford the gear, you can afford to ship it or you can do like I do and check it. Yes you can buy good gear that breaks down and goes into a protective case that is small enough to go in checked luggage.
If I purchase something traveling too big to go in carry on that I don't want to check then I insure it and ship it. If you can afford to buy it you can afford to ship it.
Sorry, but I really have a problem with people who think they should be able to ignore carry on rules. What if everyone did.

All I can say is that for a gate agent to notice the artwork must have been pretty large and the a father who promised not to check the artwork, b/c he is going to ignore the rules isn't teaching a very good lesson to his kids. My kids always flew up front if I did, however they were taught to behave, be courteous and follow the rules
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
wiki updated
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
wiki updated
I think we need a name for the 15 year old DYKWIA to title the link in the wiki. DYKWIA-in-training doesn't really work because he already seems to have mastered the essentials. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I think we need a name for the 15 year old DYKWIA to title the link in the wiki. DYKWIA-in-training doesn't really work because he already seems to have mastered the essentials. Any suggestions?
DYKWIW(anna)B(e)?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: DL GM
DYKWIA Jr
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
The Little Sprite
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by bubbashow
...um.....congratulations? I don't know what you are hoping for here. Personally, I think you were being a complete *******. If it were that valuable, you should have arranged shipping. If I were the red coat, from one Diamond to another, I would have denied you boarding.
I think it is you guys replying who are the complete *****les

What he did as a diamond was get the red coat to apologize for the rude GA. Delta will always try to put art work, violas etc in the closet if possible. The GA should have been less rude and tried to help him despite his status. I have used my status to get on an overbooked flight after my previous one was cancelled. That is the purpose of having status. The best status was a Flying Colonel when their were "no rules"
Lighten up

Mr Broom,
You were entirely correct. GAs are overworked and often don't know the rules or how to bend them. That is the whole purpose of the red coat. As to flying first, when my 6 year old (who had platinum status from flying) she cracked everyone up the first time she flew coach with a "where is the phone"

Last edited by BeatCal; Aug 11, 2015 at 12:27 pm
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
The best reverse DYKWIA was in Seattle when the TSA combined the prechecked line with the regular to speed things up. A little lady was priceless when told she did not need to take her shoes off or remove her computer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.