Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
He was already seated in a middle exit row (I was up front) and I didn't see any roller in the open overheads.
Well, there's the problem, he was obviously emotionally deranged by being a Diamond in a middle seat ! (even if it was an exit row)

Lucky he wasn't frothing and biting.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was under the impression that if he was Diamond, she wouldn't have to walk down the jetway anymore, that he would be carried as a regal prince should be carried ...

Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DaveNC
All of the DYKWIA's attitude aside, I recently had a GA-in-training tell me I needed to pink-tag my computer backpack on an RJ.
I've flown enough to know that putting a pink tag on my bag doesn't magically prevent it from going on the plane.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Maybe it did fit - But DM should know better.

But I have a roll aboard computer bag.

Fits perfectly under the CRJ seats, if I pick the right one.

Have had a few agents say you need to pink tag it.
I always smile as they put the tag on the top of my handle.

I then ignore the bag drop and walk onto the plane with my bag.

If you are a DM or even a PM that is how you handle it.

If you are DM, then by now you should know that arguing with GA is a waste of time. You don't argue - You just ignore.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
I was under the impression that if he was Diamond, she wouldn't have to walk down the jetway anymore, that he would be carried as a regal prince should be carried ...

You are correct but for RJ flights they let you off at the nearest Skyclub. The issue is some of the RJ gates are not easily accessible for the entourage.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
I've flown enough to know that putting a pink tag on my bag doesn't magically prevent it from going on the plane.
That's true, but at some of the gates at RDU the elevator for the pink-tagged bags is near where the GAs stand. I figured there was a chance he might be watching (he was new, and paying very close attention), so I decided it was easier to have the discussion up front rather than wait until they were trying to board the plane.

Of course, I was also just caught off guard -- my backpack is smaller than some women's purses.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by avidflyer
You are correct but for RJ flights they let you off at the nearest Skyclub. The issue is some of the RJ gates are not easily accessible for the entourage.
Bahhh, just Pink Tag the entire entourage and have them sit with the bags ..... and while you're at it, please make sure you non diamond riff-raff clean up after my elephant .... that's the only true stylish way to travel around the ATL terminal.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baccarat0809
Bahhh, just Pink Tag the entire entourage and have them sit with the bags ..... and while you're at it, please make sure you non diamond riff-raff clean up after my elephant .... that's the only true stylish way to travel around the ATL terminal.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Frozentech
Well, there's the problem, he was obviously emotionally deranged by being a Diamond in a middle seat ! (even if it was an exit row)

Lucky he wasn't frothing and biting.
What I meant was he was in the middle-of-the-plane exit row, as opposed to the front. It was a 2-2 seating configuration with no FC. He kind-of looked all frothing and biting though.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:28 pm
azj

Sigh... not surprising as this is a daily experience.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by DaveNC
I told him no, it will fit under my seat (which it will, with room to spare).
Last month I had an itinerary which included a CRJ-40, CRJ-50, CRJ-100, CRJ-200 and CRJ-700. (Didn't get the hat trick, since there wasn't a CR9). I made sure to pack with only a single small rollerboard, one which I know fits the overhead. Every flight the GA's wanted to gate check it, every time I very politely and nicely told them it would fit the overhead. I did at one point say that this was my fourth RJ in 24 hours, and I knew it would fit.

However, at no point did I DYKWIA, and I kept my voice soft and respectful. But then, I'm not a DiAmOnD.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sethb
Exactly. Don't argue with the GA. Just accept the pink tag and carry it on anyway, if you think you know better.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I kept my voice soft and respectful. But then, I'm not a DiAmOnD.
You are never going to get there with that attitude. Loud, obnoxious, and condescending is required. "Soft and respectful"?? DYKWIA????
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by BobRoss
Exactly. Don't argue with the GA. Just accept the pink tag and carry it on anyway, if you think you know better.
I just always keep a pink tag on both my carry-ons. Saves time, effort and lowers the chance I might have to communicate more than needed with the GA's.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by tvnwz
I just always keep a pink tag on both my carry-ons. Saves time, effort and lowers the chance I might have to communicate more than needed with the GA's.
LOL - that is exactly what I do. But mine got so worn down that a GA pink-tag-nazi made me put a new one on mine anyway last week. She was actually quite nice about the whole thing and I had to laugh at just how tattered the tag had become.

BTW - I gate check all the time. My only complaint is that I wish they'd put my bag on last so that it comes off first. But its not too big a deal unless I'm late for a connection. I usually just sit in my seat until the entire flight deplanes and keep warm while the ramp guys bring up the bags and those pushing to get off first stand and freeze on the jetway while they wait!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.