Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Saw that one too.... Some people and their shiny cards....
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Today at CMH I volunteered to get bumped from the flight. I was first on the list, and they said they needed 4-5 volunteers. Midway through boarding, the GA called the names of most of the volunteers and told them to board. When boarding was ended, there were two of us in the gate area, but they only needed one. The GA gave #2 a new BP with a different seat than his original because he had given his seat to another passenger without an assigned seat. #2 flipped out, exclaiming that his original seat was only a couple of rows into coach, but was now almost in the back! This was a regional jet. #2 shouted that he never would have volunteered if he had known he couldn't keep his original seat assignment. When the GA apologized, and explained the policy (which he had already explained when #2 volunteered) #2 said that he would be writing a scathing complaint letter to Delta. "I fly every week" he said. "Is this how you should treat people like me?"

My original seat was in FC, and he ended up getting it. I'm certain that the GA had planned to give it to someone else on the upgrade list, since the GA had handed #2 a BP in row 19. I guess the GA switched from one BFUG "policy" to the other based on circumstances (See BFUG discussion in another thread). I guess #2 just got reinforcement to his belief that DYKWIA gets you what you want.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
On the phone with my wife right now, she's in DTW. I think she had the guy in the above post on her flight seated behind her tonight. There were some irrops and and her plane was packed full. Apparently Mr. DWKWIA had been reseated to the back of the bus (behind Mrs. Cargojon). After coming to the back muttering like a 3 year old, he proceeds to slam his luggage on the FA's (who was attempting to help him with his bag) foot. Instead of apologizing to the FA, he proceed to rant about how he shouldn't be back here, and "he flies every week." Then he proceeds to complain about the snack because they only had nuts, not cookies. His best statement though, was "I want to be in the front where I can recline into people, not have them reclining into me." What a toolbox. DW bit her tongue so hard it was nearly bleeding LOL.

I typically find that the ones always stating how often they fly are the ones that fly twice a year for business.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Cargojon
On the phone with my wife right now, she's in DTW. I think she had the guy in the above post on her flight seated behind her tonight.
There's a good chance that it was him. The flight I was bumped from was going to DTW. I caught the next flight two hours later and still made my original flight to SLC (which I'm on now).
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:01 pm

I was on a DL flight that was canceled resulting in my getting booked on a UA flight that ended up also being IRROPS. Most everyone ended up getting put in a hotel for the night and though I had no status on UA, I received several meal vouchers for being polite and waiting my turn while a DYKWIA kept trying to go right to the GA and demanding he be dealt with first. On the shuttle to the hotel Mr. DYKWIA who did NOT get vouchers (and had no way of knowing I had no status with UA) indicated I should give him the ones I received. I replied "My finances can handle a few meals out of pocket. Since yours obviously can't, you can have them if you need to".

He didn't take them, but the look on his face at my response was worth FAR more than any vouchers.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Howste
You assume that it's removable. Did you see her BP? Did it say something like 7 of 9? You will be assimilated...
She was not a Borg, she was a DYKWIA. Sheesh.

BT is bluetooth. I'm not talking about putting it in on touchdown, I'm talking about leaving it in for the whole 3 hour flight.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
There's a good chance that it was him. The flight I was bumped from was going to DTW. I caught the next flight two hours later and still made my original flight to SLC (which I'm on now).
She was coming out of PHL tonight, maybe it was his twin brother.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
I still don't know why you all wait or even accept vouchers. I just get on the bus where I want to stay, eat what I want, and give the bill to DL the next day. They always pay it!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by 122554
I still don't know why you all wait or even accept vouchers. I just get on the bus where I want to stay, eat what I want, and give the bill to DL the next day. They always pay it!
TMKWYA!

*(They Must Know Who You Are)
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by circi
On the shuttle to the hotel Mr. DYKWIA who did NOT get vouchers (and had no way of knowing I had no status with UA) indicated I should give him the ones I received. I replied "My finances can handle a few meals out of pocket. Since yours obviously can't, you can have them if you need to".

He didn't take them, but the look on his face at my response was worth FAR more than any vouchers.
A great response!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by circi
I received several meal vouchers for being polite and waiting my turn
Amazing how well that trick works, isn't it?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
SDS'd to an earlier ATL-LAX flight yesterday and was thrilled to have a seat - ANY seat. Ended up with 24C - An aisle non-EC seat - Pretty good for SDS to a flight where the upgrades had already cleared.

Anyhow, the guy immediately behind me (aisle non-EC) starts complaining to the flight attendant about how he is a Silver Medallion and should be in EC and this is not right that he's not in EC. He flies Delta so much, yada yada yada. The FA moves him to a window EC on DEF side (with only D/E in front) to accommodate him. Not sure where the current occupant went (Possible late upgrade?).

Anyhow, the point of this is that as long as GA/FA/Res/etc accommodates DYKWIA, they will continue to multiply. Will we always have DYKWIAs? Of course, but I believe everyone around us who saw this negative behavior rewarded will be inclined to do so in the future.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
WOW!!!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
...The GA gave #2 a new BP with a different seat than his original because he had given his seat to another passenger without an assigned seat. #2 flipped out, exclaiming that his original seat was only a couple of rows into coach, but was now almost in the back! This was a regional jet. #2 shouted that he never would have volunteered if he had known he couldn't keep his original seat assignment...
Hmmm, so the guy who supposedly flies every week doesn't know the most basic element of volunteering to be bumped?

OTOH, I don't agree with the GA reinforcing his bad behavior, considering the 'rules' say s/he doesn't have to. It sends a bad message to a guy who could really use a wake-up and encourages him (others?) to do it again. Nothing worse than a self-perpetuating DYKWIA (aka SPDYKWIA).
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Mr. 6C and Mr. 6D are trying to out talk one another

MSP-SLC: 6C is planning A VERY IMPORTANT MEETING FOR CLINICAL TRIAL MONITORS. 6D has A VERY IMPORTANT DEAL TO CLOSE. Both must be talking to people On the other end of their iPhones who are hard of hearing.

My ears are still ringing.

DYKWTA??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.