Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:29 am

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
I occasionally like to read amusing stories of entitlement, but it seems to be devolving

MSPpete, wrp96, DCAhome and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by LostInAmerica
I occasionally like to read amusing stories of entitlement, but it seems to be devolving
I might be in the wrong forum because this seems like an old United Airlines training video for flight attendants.
wrp96 and chipbennett like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:19 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by LostInAmerica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDB5gbtaEQ
It has, hasn't it? In a thread about entitlement, pointing out one, albeit minor example of entitlement by DMs has elicited quite a reaction.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by chipbennett
I never claimed that it would. What I actually said was: "Isn't this a good thing, though? Isn't this part of the soft product and service for which DL is known? Back around 2016 or so, I remember FC would board first, and get their PDB, before the rest of boarding proceeded."

I commented on the order and timing of the boarding process. Not sure how you inferred that I said anything about FC not getting PDBs because of DMs boarding with FC.
I have to admit to being a solely domestic US flyer, but I have have DM on Delta since (coincidentally) 2016. I have flown 120-160 segments each year, about 65% in first class. I have no recollection during that time of there ever being a pause in boarding between the DM/First Class group and the following groups. Such a thing would have been *very* noticeable as you would be looking at a five minute gap at a minimum, plus the first class FAs somehow signaling to the gate agent that they can proceed.

I't possible that my memory is getting foggy though, so if others can confirm I would find that very interesting.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I have to admit to being a solely domestic US flyer, but I have have DM on Delta since (coincidentally) 2016. I have flown 120-160 segments each year, about 65% in first class. I have no recollection during that time of there ever being a pause in boarding between the DM/First Class group and the following groups. Such a thing would have been *very* noticeable as you would be looking at a five minute gap at a minimum, plus the first class FAs somehow signaling to the gate agent that they can proceed.

I't possible that my memory is getting foggy though, so if others can confirm I would find that very interesting.
It was the 6:00AM Monday morning IND-BOS shuttle. It's possible that it was something unique to that flight? I don't really know. I was pretty new to flying DL then. (I think that weekly shuttle is how I first earned status on DL, from mid-2015 - mid-2016?)

EDIT: that shuttle was also an E175 (maybe a CR9?). So, it didn't take long.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:48 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Often the F FA will insert themselves into the boarding flow to take PDB orders and deliver them, sometimes in the process implicitly or explicitly holding up boarding for 5-10 seconds at a time to do so. However I too can't ever recall a complete pause to boarding to take/deliver all PDB orders.
ATOBTTR, dcadwell, WDE76 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Often the F FA will insert themselves into the boarding flow to take PDB orders and deliver them, sometimes in the process implicitly or explicitly holding up boarding for 5-10 seconds at a time to do so. However I too can't ever recall a complete pause to boarding to take/deliver all PDB orders.
Maybe it was something unique to IND at the time? It is, after all, the best airport in the world.

In any case: the only point being made was that, at one time, the little touches made the DL soft product what it was, and that DL changing the boarding order to board DM after FC was an attempt to restore some of those little touches.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:48 am

I never claimed that it would. What I actually said was: "Isn't this a good thing, though? Isn't this part of the soft product and service for which DL is known? Back around 2016 or so, I remember FC would board first, and get their PDB, before the rest of boarding proceeded."

I commented on the order and timing of the boarding process. Not sure how you inferred that I said anything about FC not getting PDBs because of DMs boarding with FC.
OK so then it really is all about feewing special?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:50 am

It has, hasn't it? In a thread about entitlement, pointing out one, albeit minor example of entitlement by DMs has elicited quite a reaction.
wow this may be the most oblivious comment I've seen in this thread
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
OK so then it really is all about feewing special?
Ok so remind me again where on delta.com it says Diamonds board with first class? I'll wait.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Ok so remind me again where on delta.com it says Diamonds board with first class? I'll wait.
I mean, you got me here, I actually don't know if it does or not, but it doesn't matter because it doesn't have anything to do with my point. I'm not arguing about what the rules actually are, I'm discussing the complaints that people have (which is what this thread is about)
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:04 am

Let's recap:

1. DL old boarding order had DM board with FC in the first group
2. DL changed the boarding order, creating a new, second group for DMs to board after FC
3. Some DMs continue to board with FC, despite the change in boarding order, knowing that they are boarding prior to their correct boarding order
4. Someone points out that said DMs are being DYKWIA
5. Said observation elicits a... passionate response from some (presumably) DMs

What, exactly, is the problem, with said observation in the DYKWIA thread? How, exactly, is pointing that out somehow "oblivious"?

Because it sure comes across as if you're just upset that someone is calling out DMs acting like DYKWIAs.
diburning, dmarge18, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:05 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
I mean, you got me here, I actually don't know if it does or not, but it doesn't matter because it doesn't have anything to do with my point. I'm not arguing about what the rules actually are, I'm discussing the complaints that people have (which is what this thread is about)
What's your point then because it seems to be going all over the place. The way I see it is the bottom line is that Diamonds in the back board after FC, I'm following your point in some parts that you don't think it's a big deal but I'm starting to lose you. But at the end of the day, even if Chip is wanting to feel "special" it doesn't matter as they should just wait their turn, I hate gate lice in every form and being a DM doesn't mean you can't be gate lice and this is an example of that. I'm not sure if this topic to this extent belongs in the pathetic rants thread or this one, but people here love to pick on gate lice while at the same time acting like doing this is any better, you can't have it both ways. To sum up my point though, none of this extra debate matters because the bottom line is the Diamonds in the back shouldn't be boarding with FC/D1 in the first place, that's just the procedure. Whether it's a good procedure or not is a whole different debate.
NotHamSarnie, hhdl and chipbennett like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:10 am

You don't know if it's posted on Delta's website?
https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in...rding-priority

Delta boarding order

Someone complaining that a DM is acting like a DYKWIA by boarding before their defined boarding order is making a valid complaint. Yes, it's a minor complaint. But that it is minor doesn't make it any less valid. That you're complaining about a complaint in a thread dedicated to describing such complaints seems misplaced.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
What's your point then because it seems to be going all over the place. The way I see it is the bottom line is that Diamonds in the back board after FC, I'm following your point in some parts that you don't think it's a big deal but I'm starting to lose you. But at the end of the day, even if Chip is wanting to feel "special" it doesn't matter as they should just wait their turn, I hate gate lice in every form and being a DM doesn't mean you can't be gate lice and this is an example of that. I'm not sure if this topic to this extent belongs in the pathetic rants thread or this one, but people here love to pick on gate lice while at the same time acting like doing this is any better, you can't have it both ways. To sum up my point though, none of this extra debate matters because the bottom line is the Diamonds in the back shouldn't be boarding with FC/D1 in the first place, that's just the procedure. Whether it's a good procedure or not is a whole different debate.
The great irony here is that I'm very often one of the DMs not in FC, waiting for DMs to be called to board. None of this has anything at all with me, personally, wanting to feel special or otherwise be treated in any particular manner. The only related thing that I said that impacted me directly was when the GA skips calling DMs in the boarding order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.