Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: Skyteam
As a Diamond, he was in the right to do it...
catlike likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
You should have tripped him and wished him a good trip.

I have missed seeing these.
BSAChris likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by skchin
As a Diamond, he was in the right to do it...

I believe "obligated" is more the right word.

It's a hard job, but somebody has to do it.
bosman likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by puck021
Is that like "a nice Hawaiian punch"?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
trip and fall

Originally Posted by puck021

I have missed seeing these.
"See you next fall."
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
I always get irrationally happy when I see this thread active!
scintillating, isn't it?
gretchendz and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: DL DM
Had a delay in boarding today due to a malfunctioning boarding pass reader. As the gate agent is waiting for help to come fix it, another pax says to her “Do you know who I AM?”

The agent timidly says, “Um, no, I’m sorry.”

He then goes on to explain he’s just making a joke in small talk and has to explain the meaning of DYKWIA to her and how people need to be polite. I’m glad people have a sense of humor.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
Had a delay in boarding today due to a malfunctioning boarding pass reader. As the gate agent is waiting for help to come fix it, another pax says to her “Do you know who I AM?”

He then goes on to explain he’s just making a joke in small talk and has to explain the meaning of DYKWIA to her and how people need to be polite. I’m glad people have a sense of humor.
The pax or the gate agent? Not very good humor. That’s the best he’s got? Weak.
ezefllying likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
At boarding (I won't mention the airport), just as F/J boarding starts, a woman pushes ahead of almost everyone. The GA tells here that it's Delta One and DM boarding only. The pax says something about wanting to board now (no status pax, I pressume). The GA lets her go on, while rolling her eyes in an epic fashion and saying "so you want to sit your fat butt on the plane for that much longer?"

It was much better in real life than it sounds described here. Wish I had thought of giving a JWD cert to the GA.

No need to confront the pax. If someone wants to sit their "fat butt" (as the GA said) on the plane for an extra half an hour longer, sure, let them go on. It doesn't really slow down the J cabin boarding, that is going left from the boarding door, while Y is going right. Much better this way than trying to stop the person who insists that they must board right now.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
At boarding (I won't mention the airport), just as F/J boarding starts, a woman pushes ahead of almost everyone. The GA tells here that it's Delta One and DM boarding only. The pax says something about wanting to board now (no status pax, I pressume). The GA lets her go on, while rolling her eyes in an epic fashion and saying "so you want to sit your fat butt on the plane for that much longer?"

It was much better in real life than it sounds described here. Wish I had thought of giving a JWD cert to the GA.

No need to confront the pax. If someone wants to sit their "fat butt" (as the GA said) on the plane for an extra half an hour longer, sure, let them go on. It doesn't really slow down the J cabin boarding, that is going left from the boarding door, while Y is going right. Much better this way than trying to stop the person who insists that they must board right now.
That’s great. I’ll do that next time I need to board a Delta flight.
levilevi likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by tardyturtle

He is the winner of today’s interwebs.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Ok, so she didn't mention Status, but the attitude fits.

On a CRJ 1C tried to tell me (1A) that I needed to move my bag because the bin space above 1C/D belonged to her. She had also swapped with 2A so worst case she could have put her small bag under the seat (although she was unwilling to give up the leg room). But I literally had nowhere else to put my bag as there is no bin space over my seat, nor over her new seat. When I asked her where I was supposed to put my bag she declared "I don’t know but that doesn't matter because that space is mine".

Her bag ended up in the closet, as mine would have had the bins already been full when I boarded.

I cannot count how many times I have boarded and the bin space above my seat is full. I would never in a million years consider interrogating the other passengers to find out whose bag occupied the bin and then demand they remove it.

Some poor other passenger tried to suggest a different location to her and she bit his head off too. She kept repeating that the space was hers.
strickerj and Mhyduchak like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by defrosted
On a CRJ 1C tried to tell me (1A) that I needed to move my bag because the bin space above 1C/D belonged to her. She had also swapped with 2A so worst case she could have put her small bag under the seat (although she was unwilling to give up the leg room). But I literally had nowhere else to put my bag as there is no bin space over my seat, nor over her new seat. When I asked her where I was supposed to put my bag she declared "I don’t know but that doesn't matter because that space is mine".
I think the correct response is "I'm pretty sure there's no rule like that. Why don't you consult a flight attendant?"
Dovster, cre95, Hoyaheel and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I think the correct response is "I'm pretty sure there's no rule like that. Why don't you consult a flight attendant?"
That would have been better than what I said for sure. I will keep that in mind should this happen again.

Shortly after she got snippy with the other passenger the FA told her to sit down and let people continue boarding and she would put it in the closet later. At some point she then asked the Gate Agent who was trying to sort something out to put her bag in the closet as she walked by. GA said you will need to wait for your FA. Then she got on a phone call and complained loudly to whoever she was taking to how there is just no space on the planes for bags.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Something I've been wondering: is DYKWIA where the term "dickwad" came from? Because I've heard and read the latter, but I'm not sure I've ever seen DYKWIA except for here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.