FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1318124-ido-you-know-who-i-am-n-definitive-thread-dykwia-stories.html)

avidflyer Feb 26, 2012 8:52 am

Originally Posted by PRWeezer (Post 18084242)
My friends got theirs through the Delta Heritage Museum, I think it was a special item sale, though not positive.

A CEO I know has a set of DL International FC seats from way back in his media room. Not sure where he got them but they are cool. When I was a kid my first apartments had a set of World Airways coach seats (a "2" section)that I bought at a Yard sale and bolted to my apartment floor. Landlord did have an issue with it I later found out ;) Anyway, my buddies and I came up with more versions of "Quarters" than you could imagine by integrating the tray table....:):)

knoa_knows Feb 26, 2012 9:01 am

Well you seem to take this pretty personally. I just said I do not understand it and frankly I have never seen anyone else do it, so I wondered the logic. I suppose living in NYC and not having a car means my kids are not happy in the car seat for extended periods of time, so maybe that is the reason, but again I have never saw myself kids in a car seat in a plane.

Although we do teach them not to kick seats, stand on seats and run around so maybe I am a super parent? A normal parent encourages these type of things?

Originally Posted by squatch (Post 18084154)
golly gee, you must have the PERFECT toddlers and be the PERFECT parent. i admire how you taught your car seat-sized children to never squirm out of their seats on a 6+ hour flight. what sort of magic do you have? you should publish a book documenting your superhuman ability to have you young children sit quietly an patiently on a plane and not attempt to escape their seats, wander the aisles, kick the seats in front of them, stand on the seats, and sleep perfectly contently on their own comfy airline seat unrestrained.

if i was only as a good a parent as you....

:rolleyes:

knoa_knows Feb 26, 2012 9:03 am

Guess I could see that although if the plane drops out of the sky no car seat is going to help I don't think. For under 2 we always held them the entire flight, and for 3+ they typically would stay buckled in case of turbulence. I suppose a car seat os good for that one in a million catastrophic decompression events where kids could get sucked out of the window.

If it was really for safety wouldn't it be required like in cars?

Originally Posted by wrxmom (Post 18084176)
Safety.

ElPresidente Feb 26, 2012 9:20 am

Originally Posted by knoa_knows (Post 18084476)
Although we do teach them not to kick seats, stand on seats and run around so maybe I am a super parent? A normal parent encourages these type of things?

My child travelled in a car seat. My fellow passengers usually found it BETTER than having him be a "lap child" and consequent complications with the passenger who was in neighboring seat.

I recall a guy BERATING me for not "having a conversation" with my 20-month old about crying too much and you know he kicked the seat TWICE before I grabbed the legs and physically restrained them which lead to more crying.....

Never mind that at 20-months of age on their FIRST FLIGHT EVER how exactly do you "have a conversation" with them about these matters? Sometimes you have to bring your toddler on a plane because you know DYING RELATIVES and stuff, and I told him I had been doing my VERY BEST and asked him to demonstrate his ability to "have a conversation" with a toddler who could barely string a few words together. When he failed, I asked him to fold up his uninformed parenting opinions and place them somewhere unpleasant.

pitbulllover Feb 26, 2012 9:21 am

Originally Posted by knoa_knows (Post 18084488)
Guess I could see that although if the plane drops out of the sky no car seat is going to help I don't think. For under 2 we always held them the entire flight, and for 3+ they typically would stay buckled in case of turbulence. I suppose a car seat os good for that one in a million catastrophic decompression events where kids could get sucked out of the window.

It is actually recommended to have a safety seat on the plane, and I applaud all parents who actually do it. Here are a couple of good articles explaining why. Holding a 25 lb baby in turbulence (with the force of gravity) can add three times or more the weight. It it nearly impossible with any sort of significant impact during a crash.

The second article explains that although they should be required (as recommended by the NTSB) the FAA does not mandate as they feel that more people would end up driving (to avoid the additional cost) which is statistically more dangerous.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6564141.shtml

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...children_N.htm

CJKatl Feb 26, 2012 9:33 am

This is probably the third or fourth time I've posted this story over the years, but it fits...

The day before Thanksgiving several years ago, LGA-ATL flight, the boarding area was packed. Parents were resting their approximately ten month old, diaper side down, on the scanner when the GA asked them to move. The mom informed the GA they didn't have to because they would be boarding first. The GA informed the mom that he needed the workspace and they would, in fact, be boarding after F and FFs. She erupted about there being an FAA requirement that people with babies get to board first. He called security, while the dad coward off to the side. Boarding started, and I never saw them get on the flight.

ElPresidente Feb 26, 2012 9:34 am

Originally Posted by knoa_knows (Post 18084488)

If nobody required a car seat in cars, many kids wouldn't ride in them there either. Well MINE would.

Turbulence, comfort napping, there's lots of reasons it's just way better.

Now that he's 4 he sits in a seat like a grownup, but not before that.

Wait, what was the point of this thread?

Reflavor this thread:

Say it was a nun leading a gaggle of 7-year old girls.
Say it was Madonna & entourage
Say it was just some rich jerk blabbing loud on a cellphone
Say it was a grey-hair you saw break-dancing earlier who decided to PRETEND to be disabled....

Context and your response to it makes all the difference.

In every case there'd still be some customer who'd go along quietly, but write it up on the internet later I suppose.

If a tree falls in the woods.....

Often1 Feb 26, 2012 9:36 am

Originally Posted by tuono07 (Post 18082886)
Two weeks ago from MSY to ATL and a guy stopped at my seat (1B) and loudly proclaimed " your in my seat, get up!) Since my bp said 1B a stayed where I was and he proceeded to make a huge stink, blocking all acces to the plane and saying over and over "I'm a Gold member and I'm tired of this crap".
Long story short, he walked off the plane with the GA and was the last to reboard (in coach) .....ing the whole way.
Funny thing is..............................1A was empty the whole flight:)

There ought to be a do-not-fly list for boorish louts.

knoa_knows Feb 26, 2012 9:43 am

Well, that sounds like the guy is an A** H***. I agree - crying there is nothing you can do, although sometimes that is a pressure issue that can be alleviated with candy or a bottle. But all kids cry - hell grown up make more noise typically ;-)

I would rarely give anyone grief about a child's behavior after having my own because I now realize how chaotic it can be. Unless the person is obviously shirking their responsibilities as a parent, I give them the benefit of the doubt. Plus it seems now crying and screaming don't effect me as much anymore. Must be evolutionary...

Originally Posted by ElPresidente (Post 18084560)
My child travelled in a car seat. My fellow passengers usually found it BETTER than having him be a "lap child" and consequent complications with the passenger who was in neighboring seat.

I recall a guy BERATING me for not "having a conversation" with my 20-month old about crying too much and you know he kicked the seat TWICE before I grabbed the legs and physically restrained them which lead to more crying.....

Never mind that at 20-months of age on their FIRST FLIGHT EVER how exactly do you "have a conversation" with them about these matters? Sometimes you have to bring your toddler on a plane because you know DYING RELATIVES and stuff, and I told him I had been doing my VERY BEST and asked him to demonstrate his ability to "have a conversation" with a toddler who could barely string a few words together. When he failed, I asked him to fold up his uninformed parenting opinions and place them somewhere unpleasant.

knoa_knows Feb 26, 2012 9:44 am

Interesting. Thanks for the info. So glad I am past that (and diapers ;-)

Originally Posted by pitbulllover (Post 18084564)
It is actually recommended to have a safety seat on the plane, and I applaud all parents who actually do it. Here are a couple of good articles explaining why. Holding a 25 lb baby in turbulence (with the force of gravity) can add three times or more the weight. It it nearly impossible with any sort of significant impact during a crash.

The second article explains that although they should be required (as recommended by the NTSB) the FAA does not mandate as they feel that more people would end up driving (to avoid the additional cost) which is statistically more dangerous.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6564141.shtml

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...children_N.htm

High Technology Feb 26, 2012 10:01 am

Originally Posted by knoa_knows (Post 18083819)
I have to say having two kids that have travelled since birth (8 year old has 17 back-and-forths across the Atlantic that we can remember, not including our domestic flights), I don't get the car seat in a plane thing. What do they accomplish? Restraint? Can't that be taught?

The multipoint harness is safer for very small children than the seat belt with the metal buckle -- the buckle is both hard and may sit too high. So it's really just a take-off, landing and turbulence thing... By the time they are a few years old, this becomes irrelevant as the seatbelt is fine.

Slightly off-topic, keep in mind that the high-back seats are what the FAA approves -- the little boosters are generally not FAA approved since they can literally slide out from under the child. Those are best tossed in the overhead or in a checked duffle bag...

For the record, I haven't boarded early based on traveling with children since my youngest was 2 years old (and that's only because we had 2 others in tow that were 4 and 6 at the time). Now all three walk down the aisle and get THEMSELVES settled faster than most other passengers -- all I need to do is referee who gets the window. :cool:

Crazyhotelguy Feb 26, 2012 10:57 am

Can we please put this thread back on topict to the DYKWIA wonan who thinks that because she has a7 year old that the rest of the world should bow down to her and whom resorts to a pathetic guilt trip when she cannot admit that she was wrong????

This happens all of the time in MCO. Thank goodness most of the DL staff at MCO are wise enough to realize pre boarding of children here is a wasted effort as most of the pax are families.

If there is a car seat or stroller, fine, but if not, there really is no point.

tvnwz Feb 26, 2012 11:29 am

Did the plane leave on time? If so, big whup.

GRALISTAIR Feb 26, 2012 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 18084651)
There ought to be a do-not-fly list for boorish louts.

+1^

knoa_knows Feb 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Be careful - squelch is going to berate you for thinking you are a perfect parent because your kids can walk by the time they are three and manage to not drive everyone in the plane insane. Good parents think their children are the center of the world and all others need to respect them. I guess it is as if they were born DMs ;-)

Originally Posted by High Technology (Post 18084786)
The multipoint harness is safer for very small children than the seat belt with the metal buckle -- the buckle is both hard and may sit too high. So it's really just a take-off, landing and turbulence thing... By the time they are a few years old, this becomes irrelevant as the seatbelt is fine.

Slightly off-topic, keep in mind that the high-back seats are what the FAA approves -- the little boosters are generally not FAA approved since they can literally slide out from under the child. Those are best tossed in the overhead or in a checked duffle bag...

For the record, I haven't boarded early based on traveling with children since my youngest was 2 years old (and that's only because we had 2 others in tow that were 4 and 6 at the time). Now all three walk down the aisle and get THEMSELVES settled faster than most other passengers -- all I need to do is referee who gets the window. :cool: