Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Gig103
Wiki Link

Top Characters & Stories:

Go ahead, post your favorites
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 14, 20, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
Common industry standards have to do with weight calculations for the purpose of weight and balance per allotted seat in the aircraft. This is why each child also gets a standard carryon allowance, even if the child isn't physically carrying the bag themselves.
Originally Posted by DCAFly View Post
For a minute I read that as "Babies and toddlers are allocated as carry-on allowances..." What a thought. I know I'd love to stick mine in the overhead compartment some days.
This actually made me think of an actual serious/legitimate question. Fully acknowledging that they of course are living, breathing human beings - how do lap infants play into this?

The adult is only occupying one seat, so do they just get their standard 2 carryons? Does the infant count as one of the carryons since they take up weight but not a seat? Or does the infant get two carryons of his/her own, meaning potentially four carryons for that single seat? Will this lead to cows marrying rainbows?

I've never personally had to deal with a lap infant situation, so I'm just curious how this is meant to play out (aside from the last joke question, of course - everyone knows that only unicorns marry rainbows).

Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
That reminds me of a time we were traveling with my disabled father. We got to TSA, they asked if he could walk / get out of his wheelchair. His pride required him to say yes before I could say no, so I handed him his cane. They then said he'd have to do it without the cane. He thought he could, so in he went. Barely managed to get his hands over his head without falling over (I am NOT a happy camper at this point ) but now he needs to take off his belt. I'm about to call for a full stop, but he calmly asked for his cane back, fumbled to get his belt undone, and proudly let his pants fall to the floor. Spent the rest of the trip telling people how he 'mooned' the TSA folks.
This is great. Kudos to your dad.
Old Jan 14, 20, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
Enforcing common, industry-wide rules is evil?
At a minimum a ridiculous request and wasted everyone’s time.
Old Jan 14, 20, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by Tine Rod View Post

I wish someone would tell me that space isn’t mine.
That guy is slopping over the center armrest into your leg airspace, also.
Tine Rod likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
For a minute I read that as "Babies and toddlers are allocated as carry-on allowances..." What a thought. I know I'd love to stick mine in the overhead compartment some days.
Originally Posted by ekozie View Post
That's funny. I'd love to stick other peoples' in the overhead some days! /s
a longtime friend had a number of office jobs with NW in the Seattle area before becoming the assistant station manager in DAY ~1994 ... I'm sure I've recounted her story about traveling with her husband on intra-Asia flights ... on more than one occasion, following the announcement that carry-on items had to go in the overhead compartment or under the seat in front, they noticed non-English-speaking passengers putting an infant carrier into the overhead -- yep, with the baby still strapped in
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TheRoadie View Post
If Tine Rod really wanted to be in this thread, he should have boarded early and claimed the armrest as his footrest.
Tine Rod likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
If Tine Rod really wanted to be in this thread, he should have boarded early and claimed the armrest as his footrest.
He DNKWIW.
puck021 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:05 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
This is an ARMREST not a footrest...
I think he already have is armrest... right ?
I also think in most seat-map, this seat is "identify" as extra legroom (not extra armrest)...
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
a longtime friend had a number of office jobs with NW in the Seattle area before becoming the assistant station manager in DAY ~1994 ... I'm sure I've recounted her story about traveling with her husband on intra-Asia flights ... on more than one occasion, following the announcement that carry-on items had to go in the overhead compartment or under the seat in front, they noticed non-English-speaking passengers putting an infant carrier into the overhead -- yep, with the baby still strapped in
On some other airline, a dog died when the FA insisted that it and its carrier be placed into the overhead bin.
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
On some other airline, a dog died when the FA insisted that it and its carrier be placed into the overhead bin.
I remember that.
Old Jan 14, 20, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
Enforcing common, industry-wide rules is evil?
this post should win some sort of prize
Old Jan 14, 20, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
These posts should win some sort of prize.
puck021 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheRoadie View Post
“Leg Airspace” is my new favorite concept ever. I’m gonna totally start passively aggressively enforcing this.
strickerj and dmarge18 like this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:59 pm

Programs: NPR
Way back when, the landing announcement on People Express sometimes included, "Please check the overhead compartments for any personal belongs or small children that you may have placed there."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: