Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
The pilot’s seat is technically in front of him too. That makes it fair game for storage then?
Yes, because that’s so practical.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I disagree...

Where are the security document and the sick bag for this passenger ? (I think in the pocket in the seat in FRONT of you, the distance between you and the seat in front of you is irrelevant).

The space between you and the security document (and other documents) is part of YOUR space.
While you and I agree on the storage space under the seat in front of you, I'm less sure about this particular justification for it, as I'm pretty sure I've seen at least some seats where the safety card (and magazine etc) are in a pocket that's mounted on the wall next to the seat.
Tine Rod likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
While you and I agree on the storage space under the seat in front of you, I'm less sure about this particular justification for it, as I'm pretty sure I've seen at least some seats where the safety card (and magazine etc) are in a pocket that's mounted on the wall next to the seat.
I have see this also (cards on the wall).
But If I remember correctly, this is only on emergency seat where is NO seat in the front AND the bulkhead is too far to put the safety cards... right ?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Often people can consolidate two personal items into one, but then they must undo everything once on board because what's needed in flight has already been organized. This slows the boarding process.

Do GAs want to win the battle but lose the war?

Fussing over who carries an item is even more petty.
I had this a few years back. Mother carrying a small child while her teenager carried all the bags. GA at the door refused to let them on unless the teenager gave 2 bags to the mother who was holding the infant. I was livid....between the two of them, they were under the limit and the woman was clearly trying to handle a small child. Forcing her to then carry two bags was one of the most evil things ive ever seen a FA do.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
I learned this trick here from FT in the past. Never understood why I never thought about it. I always check a bag and bring a backpack onboard to go underneath the seat. After takeoff I pull the backpack all the way back towards my seat and ding ding full legroom.
Always my go-to move with the backpack.

I almost never check my bigger bag, though. It goes in the overhead bin, front closet (if FA permits), or on the valet-tagged bag cart on smaller jets. Never checked, with the baggage carousel wait and the need to ensure I'm at the airport early enough to meet the checked bag cutoff, if I can help it.

Last edited by metallo; Jan 13, 2020 at 10:05 am Reason: sp
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:34 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I have see this also (cards on the wall).
But If I remember correctly, this is only on emergency seat where is NO seat in the front AND the bulkhead is too far to put the safety cards... right ?
I can't recall but this is FT so someone else almost certainly knows exactly which aircraft and which seats...
grbflyer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak
I can't recall but this is FT so someone else almost certainly knows exactly which aircraft and which seats...
IIRC row 27 on the A321 has this setup (emergency info on the side wall). Row 26 doesn't have an A seat, so the next thing in front of 27A is actually an FA jumpseat next to the exit door. One of the 757 variants also has this in the first row by the 2L door which is missing the F seat.

I'm sure there are several others with the side pocket setup.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On *some* but not all RJs with FC, 1A has the side seat pocket mounted to the wall instead of being attached to the bulkhead wall in front of the seat.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:19 pm

I wish someone would tell me that space isn’t mine.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Potato Phone?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:50 pm

Probably. I had to dig up that pic from the depths of the archives.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by dmarge18
He did have a carry on, but that's a good point (as opposed to personal item). Either way, the GA seemed to be willing to just let him carry the extra one and they still felt the need to make a fuss of it.
If they had 4 total and were known to be together I'd say the GA wasted everyones time on this. Seems petty to me.
Why does it matter who's holding it?
I've seen families board with kids where the mom or dad is holding 3-4 bags and nothing from the GA as long as they weren't over the total allowed between the 2.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Similarly, if someone is handicapped or has mobility issues, the companion often carries more of the carry on bags, but this shouldn't matter providing that the total amount carry on stuff is legal and fits.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tine Rod

I wish someone would tell me that space isn’t mine.
To fit into this thread you need to move your left leg to the left, take off your shoes and grab the safety card with your toes.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Often people can consolidate two personal items into one, but then they must undo everything once on board because what's needed in flight has already been organized. This slows the boarding process.

Do GAs want to win the battle but lose the war?

Fussing over who carries an item is even more petty.
I do this all the time...take out what I'm going to use on the flight so I can quickly chuck the bag or bags up top and just sit down, not holding up the line. Only once (on AA, of course), did an FA tell me I needed to consolidate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.