Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
I’ve fired up the sad puppy eyes and had by bag stored in the FA closet at least a dozen times lol.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Cotumely
That sounds like a threat to me.

Please take a look at People appreciate being appreciated and tell me who you think threatened me.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Cotumely
It sounded a bit creepy to me.
Creepy is when the TSA was playing the say your name game and I told the TSO that I was uncomfortable saying my name where other people could hear it, but I was happy to whisper it into his ear. But I digress as that was not a DYKWIA but a IDWOTKWIA moment.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM (ST E+), AA PM, UA GM
Fear of Name Sharing

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I told the TSO that I was uncomfortable saying my name where other people could hear it.
I've never understood this. Unless you are a public figure, what are you afraid of?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by TheStrongOne
I've never understood this. Unless you are a public figure, what are you afraid of?
Not public figure, not afraid of someone hearing my name. I was having fun because the TSA's say your name game was a stupid ineffective game that I did not want to play. So if I was required to play a stupid ineffective game I was going to at least amuse myself.
LowValueCustomer likes this.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Dec 8, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:54 pm

ah yes the "I think this policy is dumb so I'm going to give the worker drone here in front of me a hard time about it in a way that has 0% chance of actually changing the broken thing" gambit, a classic.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
ah yes the "I think this policy is dumb so I'm going to give the worker drone here in front of me a hard time about it in a way that has 0% chance of actually changing the broken thing" gambit, a classic.
Actually the TSO I experienced thought it dumb too. I would make up a name and still get through. But this discussion is a digression from DYKWIA. There are threads in the Security forum if you want to pursue them.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by stillontheroad
Today flying ATL-OMA a passenger boarded about 5 minutes before the door closed. She had this stuffed carry on bag and could not find a place for it. The FA told her they would have to gate check the bag. This set the passenger off. She informed the FA that she was a "SILVER MEMBER" and she was not going to gate check her bag. She then stated that she was in the C+ section and that according to the website she was "Guaranteed" space for her luggage and she was not going to gate check it. The FA had the bag at this time and told the passenger "Let's step off the plane and get this straight". The passenger followed her off the plane and was never seen again. Obviously, neither she or the bag flew this morning.
Did she do something wrong? If she have valuables like an expensive camera, perhaps she doesn't want to check it. I've been in that situation before, but I wasn't rude and the FA just let me put it in her designated part of the bin if that makes any sense.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by lsquare
Did she do something wrong? If she have valuables like an expensive camera, perhaps she doesn't want to check it. I've been in that situation before, but I wasn't rude and the FA just let me put it in her designated part of the bin if that makes any sense.
Let's check Delta's contract of carriage:

Originally Posted by DL COC
Delta may refuse to transport or may remove passengers from its aircraft in any of the following situations...
3) When the passenger interferes with the flight crew’s activities, or fails to obey the instruction of any member of the flight crew;
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:44 am

What she did wrong was wait until the last minute to board, and with all the bins closed and the FA telling her that all were full continued to argue with the FA that because she was "SILVER ELITE" that she was entitled to have her bag onboard and she "Was not going to gate check her bag". IF you want to fly follow the rules/procedures
enviroian, lsquare, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:55 am

What she did wrong was wait until the last minute to board, and with all the bins closed and the FA telling her that all were full continued to argue with the FA that because she was "SILVER ELITE" that she was entitled to have her bag onboard and she "Was not going to gate check her bag". IF you want to fly follow the rules/procedures
Agreed. The $$ Value of your carryon + the Importance of keeping it with you aboard = the earlier you should arrive. When a late arrival can't be helped (e.g., connections), then your politeness goes a lot further than your DYKWIA entitlements
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
And what if she was polite and the FA still say too bad despite having valuables? Then what?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Then you take your valuables out and gate check the bag.
Statman, lsquare, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:11 pm

And what if she was polite and the FA still say too bad despite having valuables? Then what?
Politeness might get someone (anyone really in any industry) to go above and beyond. Rudeness and entitlement are almost always going to get you the minimum that person can do without getting officially reprimanded.

Polite - checking several other bins to see if someone closed one early, or stowing in the FA closet.
Rude - bin's shut means it's full. Gate Check or catch the next flight.

Why go to outside the box thinking or above and beyond service when someone is probably going to yell at you anyway regardless of the outcome.
lsquare and Cotumely like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:03 pm

Rudeness (at this level, at least) isn't a reason to flex on a passenger and kick them off the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.