Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by FlyingForTheHalibut
I had a woman in the next stall of the ladies’ room who was on a very loud phone call scold me. I finished what I needed to do and flushed the toilet. She screamed “do you MIND, I’m ON A CALL!”

I was so astonished that I genuinely thought she was kidding. I burst out laughing and chuckled as I washed my hands. She burst out of the stall and gave me a death glare, still on her call.
I think the appropriate reply would be to say "Piss off"
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
Hah! Whenever I hear someone on a phone in the bathroom I continuously flush the toilet hoping to embarrass the phone user
I work in an office with auto flushing toilets in the bathroom. Sometimes they flush more than once. Yes, I have heard people on the phone. Not many though.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Nobody walks around taking calls in the bathroom just to show off or let people know they’re “important”. I don’t feel inconvenienced or irritated when someone talks on their phone when I’m going to the bathroom. I always figure there’s a reason why they took the call. Either way I guess it doesn’t matter. But if you are the person who’d try and interfere with someone else’s call because they are talking in a public place, I hope we’re not seated together because there’s probably very little that I or anyone else could do that wouldn’t irritate you.
Guess you never met my incredibly narcissistic former (thankfully) coworker. He had a private office, but he often took calls talking very loudly on a Bluetooth while walking around our floor so that people would look at him. It wasn't good attention, but it was attention nonetheless. It definitely made him feel important.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Nobody asked you to be super quiet but people earlier in this thread mentioned how they will purposely make noises to interfere with the call, that’s being a jerk no doubt about it. I don’t ask anyone to be quiet but don’t try to make it more difficult for someone.
If someone is having a quiet phone call, I don't care. If they're acting like they have to be sure the other person hears them without the phone, that's quite different. Or, if they're in a marked quiet area.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Seriously, I think I've mentioned it in this thread before, but as someone who's on phone calls in airports/public areas all the time, I'm not showing off my importance, I'm pretty unimportant. If I were the important one the calls would be scheduled around my availability, not without regard to it.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Seriously, I think I've mentioned it in this thread before, but as someone who's on phone calls in airports/public areas all the time, I'm not showing off my importance, I'm pretty unimportant. If I were the important one the calls would be scheduled around my availability, not without regard to it.
Do you YELL?!
fordan likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Originally Posted by zitsky
Do you YELL?!
Basically this. Lots of people including many of us use the phone in airports. It’s the people yelling into their phone (bonus points for using the speakerphone function) and strutting back and forth in areas people are trying to get through and glaring at them if they get in the way.

Simply talking on the phone at the airport in a normal tone of voice doesn’t bother anyone, assuming you’re not doing it in an airport lounge quiet area.
janehoya likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:01 am

Flying DL the other night, Omaha to Atlanta when a woman boarded with comfort plus boarding and sat in 10E ( MD88) and several minutes later another passenger boarded and told her he had 10E and could she check her boarding pass. She got up and moved to 12B (next to me) several passengers later a female showed up with the boarding pass for 12B. First woman got up and moved to 14D and again passenger showed up for that seat. FA finally saw something was wrong and offered to help. Woman got out her phone to show FA her boarding pass. FA told her she would show her to her seat...29B.

Woman stated “ I guess I can’t just sit where I want? Southwest lets me”.

FA told her : This is Delta, not SW. They do things a little different over on that other airline"

Some People !!
1P, enviroian, Statman and 7 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by stillontheroad
Flying DL the other night, Omaha to Atlanta when a woman boarded with comfort plus boarding and sat in 10E ( MD88) and several minutes later another passenger boarded and told her he had 10E and could she check her boarding pass. She got up and moved to 12B (next to me) several passengers later a female showed up with the boarding pass for 12B. First woman got up and moved to 14D and again passenger showed up for that seat. FA finally saw something was wrong and offered to help. Woman got out her phone to show FA her boarding pass. FA told her she would show her to her seat...29B.

Woman stated “ I guess I can’t just sit where I want? Southwest lets me”.

FA told her : This is Delta, not SW. They do things a little different over on that other airline"

Some People !!
This reminds of something I posted on this board 10 years ago. Remember these were the old 767s with 2-2-2 setup!

"Funny" Incident of entitlement aboard DL 180 ATL-VCE October 2009.

I boarded the flight well into the boarding process and was seated in 5C, a center section isle. I had checked the seat map prior to leaving the SC and noticed that there was 1 A-B section open (6 A and B, last one on the left) and 1 on the F-G side (6 F and G, last one on the right). I always check before boarding and apparent non-revs have already been cleared in hopes that once the door is closed I can inquire as to moving to 1 of the 2 open set of seats.

As I sat down, I noticed that 6B was occupied by a girl who looked to be about 20/21. She was sporting a huge duffle bag with her school logo which also happened to match the large hoody sweatshirt she was wearing (I am not dogging on school spirit!). It seemed odd to me, since just 4 minutes prior the seat was showing open and I had already seen what I thought were the majority of the non-revs cleared into, but I figured she was a last minute addition/op-up and went on reading by book. As boarding neared completion the FA came by to take orders and after providing her preferences she quite loudly asked something along the lines of "ummmm, are we going to be allowed to move around the plane, I usually prefer to get some exercise and I want to be able to walk back to coach and visit my friends." The FA reassured her that yes, she would in fact be able to move around and would not be held captive at her seat.

Just as the door was closed, the lead FA came down the isle and stopped very suddenly just behind my seat (where the girl was sitting). I noticed this and briefly stopped reading. What took place was one of the strangest sentiments of self entitlement I have ever seen, in fact my seat mate and I both seemed to be in utter disbelief at what transpired. The FA asked to see her ticket and when the ticket was handed to her, she asked why the ticket said 18C and the girl was seated in 6B. The girls response was "Oh, I really wanted to sit here and I checked online before the flight to see about upgrading, but the cost was $5,400 and that was just ridiculous, so I figured I would just find an open seat up front and sit here" At this point I think the FA was just as shocked as we were, and thought for a moment at how to handle this. She first asked for the amenity kit and headphones. Once these were handed to her, she said "You need to return to your assigned seat immediately or we will be forced to remove you from the plane." The girl, as if she had done nothing wrong, asked "Can I at least take a bit more champagne with me, I mean, I was seated here when you served it." Needless to say the champagne was also taken and the girl grabbed all her belonging and went back to coach under the watchful eye of the lead FA.

Later on in the flight I overheard a few of the FA’s talking while I was waiting to go to the rear LAV. Apparently once the flight was underway this girl was nothing but a hassle, asking for more food, her bread to be warmed, and for different movies to be put on the overhead screens in Y.
ACCDraw and CREN like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by stillontheroad

Some People !!
yeah, the nerve! What kind of self-centered jerk boards a plane without having flown that airline before!???

I mean if she had given any pushback to the people who had "her" seats then this might be a DYKWIA situation, but as presented it's just someone who is in an unfamiliar situation.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're never flown a particular airline before, it would be common sense to spend a few minutes on the carrier's website, looking especially at the "traveling with us"/day of travel information. More importantly, you should look at your boarding pass. If there's a seat assignment, perhaps one should assume that this is the seat you're expected to use.

People flying WN surely look at boarding passes to find their boarding zone and number, so it's not a totally alien concept that one should look at the piece of paper the airline gives you that permits you to board the flight.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're never flown a particular airline before, it would be common sense to spend a few minutes on the carrier's website, looking especially at the "traveling with us"/day of travel information.
Sounds more time confusing than just showing up and figuring out. Agreed with other poster, just sounds like a clueless person making terrible assumptions (but not maliciously).
emrdoc likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by danielvdm
just sounds like a clueless person making terrible assumptions (but not maliciously).
Nope. After the FIRST time someone with an actual seat assignment shows up, look at your boarding pass and figure it out or ask for help. MAYBE you let the naivete slide one more time. She tried THREE times to sit wherever she wanted that was not her assigned seat. That's not clueless. That's trying to take advantage of a situation.....
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Nope. After the FIRST time someone with an actual seat assignment shows up, look at your boarding pass and figure it out or ask for help. MAYBE you let the naivete slide one more time. She tried THREE times to sit wherever she wanted that was not her assigned seat. That's not clueless. That's trying to take advantage of a situation.....
Also, with the number of warnings and explanations you have to click through now about Basic Economy fares - and with the marketing up sell text for Main Cabin - it’s basically impossible to finish the booking process for a Delta flight without knowing they are an all-assigned-seating airline.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
yeah, the nerve! What kind of self-centered jerk boards a plane without having flown that airline before!???

I mean if she had given any pushback to the people who had "her" seats then this might be a DYKWIA situation, but as presented it's just someone who is in an unfamiliar situation.
How many times does someone need to be asked to move from an incorrect seat before they become familiar with the situation?
iskingolf and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.