Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do You Know Who I Am?: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Do You Know Who I Am?: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 7, 19, 7:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Gig103
Wiki Link

Top Characters & Stories: Go ahead, post your favorites
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 16, 19, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by shipitfish View Post
As we takeoff, I come up with a theory on what must have happened: the assistant booked the flight and failed to select a seat. I suspect the GAs do generally give GUC upgrades the "lav door opens to your seat" seat, because of course someone who got a complimentary upgrade is less likely to complain.

Folks should be nice to everyone unless and until they give you a clear reason not to be, but with GAs, your comfort for your flight depends on how nice you are. I wonder if Ms. Because learned that lesson. I suspect not.
An instrument-supported upgrade is not a complimentary upgrade. An OP UP would be a complimentary upgrade.

The lav opens to your door seat is 10C on the old D1 layout on the 777s. I gave up 7C to sit in 10C because my friend cleared into 10B and gate agent didn't pay attention to put us together. The guy in 10C was indifferent about switching.

It's imperfect but honestly its not in any way awful. Not even noticeable unless you want to make it an issue in your head. I doubt she learned any lesson because its really not a big deal.
Old Aug 16, 19, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Self-identification time. I had to play a DYKWIA card with DL this week. Or perhaps a You Should KWIA.

Basically I was a little annoyed that due to a change in plans I ended up paying twice - once with PWM/FCM and again with an RUC - to upgrade a flight. Had to move the original flight by a day and the PWM upgrade was not refundable or transferable to the new flight (would not even count as fare paid when calculating fare difference). Yes, them's the rules, but I almost never write in with any complaints so figured I'd ask DL to credit the miles as a goodwill gesture.

After 3.5 weeks with no response I sent a friendly email to give the ticket a nudge. A couple days later, received a form response that completely did not address my question (actually rambled on about I think dynamic MUA availability), and closed by thanking me for being a PM.

I am a DM and have been since well before the tickets/flights in question.

My response to DL was essentially: a) I'm disappointed that the response failed to actually undesratnd or address any part of my inquiry and b) I would hope that their next response would take into consideration my status a DM, not a PM.

What's funny is if they'd just come back and said, sorry tough luck no miles, I'd probably have dropped it. But the bumbling response is now going to result in me nagging that ticket and making a stink out of it all.
golfr, strickerj and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 7:39 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post

The ironic part is I feel like Ive read posts in this thread or similar threads on FT about people observing what they call DYKWIA behavior of people putting their bag in a bin and then closing it, thus appearing to claim the whole bin for themselves.
The only reason, IMHO to close a bin is to be sure your bag won't prevent it from closing. On some a/c my legal carryon prevents a bin from closing if not properly placed so I double check and the reopen the bin. Saves time for the FA trying to wiggle my bag into the spot. The only time it is areal issue if someone tries to turn it on its side, in smaller overheads jam if forced due to the bag having a rigid metal frame.
Old Sep 4, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Basically I was a little annoyed that due to a change in plans I ended up paying twice - once with PWM/FCM and again with an RUC - to upgrade a flight. Had to move the original flight by a day and the PWM upgrade was not refundable or transferable to the new flight (would not even count as fare paid when calculating fare difference). Yes, them's the rules, but I almost never write in with any complaints so figured I'd ask DL to credit the miles as a goodwill gesture.
Any update?

Also, doesn't PWM upgrade into a First Class fare code, like Z or higher? That should certainly stick because you upgraded.

If it doesn't stick when making a change, or doesn't calculate towards the fare, I would certainly have asked a phone Supervisor to get it refunded. They can do it, but I'm not certain how much you escalated on the phone.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
After 3.5 weeks with no response I sent a friendly email to give the ticket a nudge. A couple days later, received a form response that completely did not address my question (actually rambled on about I think dynamic MUA availability), and closed by thanking me for being a PM.

I am a DM and have been since well before the tickets/flights in question.

My response to DL was essentially: a) I'm disappointed that the response failed to actually undesratnd or address any part of my inquiry and b) I would hope that their next response would take into consideration my status a DM, not a PM.

What's funny is if they'd just come back and said, sorry tough luck no miles, I'd probably have dropped it. But the bumbling response is now going to result in me nagging that ticket and making a stink out of it all.
I have had basically the same happen to me. Afterwards, I wrote ole Gil West an email about the reply and then went on to tell them why I rarely rate Delta as excellent (excellent is for going beyond what is expected, not doing what was paid for). I wrote Gil cause he asked. Never heard back but a couple months later I had a bunch of nits so wrote Ed. I got a followup phone call.
gooselee likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
Any update?

Also, doesn't PWM upgrade into a First Class fare code, like Z or higher? That should certainly stick because you upgraded.

If it doesn't stick when making a change, or doesn't calculate towards the fare, I would certainly have asked a phone Supervisor to get it refunded. They can do it, but I'm not certain how much you escalated on the phone.
The same email rep (or someone using the same signature) replied a couple days later and said he would credit the RDM as requested. They showed up the next day as a "customer service credit" or something like that.

Original ticket was reissued into D. But the email receipt for the new ticket still showed the original fare calculation (ATL DL PHX481.86QA0QA0MQ DL ATL291.16LA7NX0ML USD773.02END ZP ATLPHX XF ATL4.5PHX4.5). IIRC at the time the online receipt showed a split payment for $X (the original coach fare - around $773.02 + tax) plus Y RDMs (the PWM portion).

Although now I just went and looked in my DL app and the receipts there are one ticket in the original Q/L classes (showing exchanged), then a separate receipt for "seat upgrade" collecting the miles, then a third receipt for the new ticket (new dates) which of course shows flown and OY from using RUCs.

I didn't push it too much on the phone at the time of rebooking as I was in a rush and really just needed to secure the new flight. The frontline agent was very nice/apologetic and I think she genuinely was trying to do something about it, and she put me on hold to ask her supervisor and then came back and said it couldn't be done. I didn't actually speak to the supervisor myself.

It was all around a funky situation but in the end they did credit the miles and I stopped thinking about it at that point.

Last edited by gooselee; Sep 4, 19 at 6:37 pm
Old Sep 7, 19, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Earlier this week I was at the ATL T SC and a man near me was yelling into his phone. I mean yelling. I could hear him above the music I was listening to with my QC35s yelling. He was using his QC35s as Bluetooth to talk on his phone and it was awful. Finally as I was packing up to leave he got a Facetime call and he somehow became even louder saying "HEY LOOK WHERE I AM!" and waving the phone around. I noticed other people were staring at him too so I decided to say something.

Me: Lower your voice
Him: WHAT?!
Me: Lower your voice. You're in public, you're being extremely loud and everyone can hear you.
Him: Excuse me, Sir. I'm on a BUSINESS CALL.

I found this somewhat unlikely as it was at night but let's say it was true, that isn't exculpatory.
Old Sep 7, 19, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Earlier this week I was at the ATL T SC and a man near me was yelling into his phone. I mean yelling. I could hear him above the music I was listening to with my QC35s yelling. He was using his QC35s as Bluetooth to talk on his phone and it was awful. Finally as I was packing up to leave he got a Facetime call and he somehow became even louder saying "HEY LOOK WHERE I AM!" and waving the phone around. I noticed other people were staring at him too so I decided to say something.

Me: Lower your voice. You're in public, you're being extremely loud and everyone can hear you.

I found this somewhat unlikely as it was at night but let's say it was true, that isn't exculpatory.
I was hoping to hear what came next??
Tine Rod likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others

So what did you say to the person at the other end of the call? If he's yelling into the phone, it's obviously because he wants me to participate in the call.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 1:54 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, Hhonors Gold, UA MileagePlus, Wyndham, La Quinta Returns, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Business calls 101 requires yelling into your phone to make the deal. Doesn't everyone know that?
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:02 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Ask him which company so that you can take notes on whether to hedge your bets on his company or the competition
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold

Im always tempted to stand really close to people like that and talk really loud into my phone on a pretend call.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by puck021 View Post
Im always tempted to stand really close to people like that and talk really loud into my phone on a pretend call.
Or record and play it back?
puck021 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by puck021 View Post
Do a Google/YouTube search for "airport cell phone crashing" some guy did a bunch of these.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Do a Google/YouTube search for "airport cell phone crashing" some guy did a bunch of these.
I thought it was about people who were annoying or loud? Instead it's just average people.

Search this Thread