Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've had DM brag tags mysteriously disappear from checked bags.

In2ishn, wrp96, jjmoore and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

P.S. 1B was a gate upgrade [when I'm a gate upgrade, especially after boarding has started, I take whatever space I can get, if any; somewhere above row 20, flight attendant closet if they offer it, or worse case gate-check it.]
The only time a guy like 1B has a point is if some economy pax put their bags in the J OH section before scurrying to the back. Happens all the time, as we all know, and the FAs sometimes speak up, but sometimes don't care. But once 1B learned that you had a legit right to use that OH space, he should have politely dropped in and looked elsewhere.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
JFK-ATL. Last minute J fare, grabbed the 2nd to last seat available, 2D, because I didn't want the bulkhead.

I had some souvenirs from overseas in a paper shopping bag that I intended to carry with me on board because they were fragile. Knowing that I would be taking up overhead space for this shopping bag, I proactively gate-checked my rollerboard.

I board with the First group to get my OH space. A guy comes on halfway during boarding, assigned to 1B, huffing and puffing about how there was no overhead space anywhere near his seat (but there was above the curtain / the inbetween space of rows 5 and 6). He then looks to pull out my shopping bag or double stack it with someone else's stuff (I hate when people presume to double or triple stack others' belongings without at least asking for - this is simply disrespectful).

Of course, I was watching the bag, so I verbally stop him (and my seatmate in 2C, a nice middle-aged businessman, was seated as well). He then starts yelling "You are supposed to have this under your seat! Only 1 bag in the overhead!" to which I reply "That IS my one bag"

He then grumbles "Oh so because you're a Diamond you can put all your crap in the overhead bin" [I had removed my DM bag tags from the gate-checked carry on and thrown it into the shopping bag] to which my seatmate interjects "Everybody calm down now" and advises me its not worth further engaging with 1B. He tries to get the Flight Attendant, who helps him put his bags above row 6, but does nothing to my bag. The Flight Attendant apologized to me later in the flight.

P.S. 1B was a gate upgrade [when I'm a gate upgrade, especially after boarding has started, I take whatever space I can get, if any; somewhere above row 20, flight attendant closet if they offer it, or worse case gate-check it.]
This reminds me of a similar incident involving my laptop case last December. I was on a 739 redeye, SEA-ATL, seated in Y, a few spots behind the exit row. Once per year my husband and I take our small dog (bichon frise) home to FL to visit family. Obviously the pet carrier was under my seat, causing my laptop case to be placed in the overhead bin. My husband had his carry-on under his seat, so the overhead bin was the only option for my laptop case. Towards the end of boarding a woman from presumably zone 3 or basic came up and starting literally taking people's bags out of the overhead bin and setting them in the aisle! One of which was my laptop case. She was muttering something along the lines of "These will just have to go elsewhere" as she placed her rather larger roller board in the bin. The FA's refused to get involved and everyone was left trying to scramble to find other places for their items. Luckily we crammed my laptop case under my husband's seat in addition to his carry on, but it made for a very uncomfortable 5 hours.

Under normal circumstances I ALWAYS put my laptop case under my seat, regardless of cabin class, just because I don't want to have to fight for overhead bin space.

This upcoming December I am traveling solo with the pet, so I have opted for F to hopefully have more room (and FA support) should it happen again.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Towards the end of boarding a woman from presumably zone 3 or basic came up and starting literally taking people's bags out of the overhead bin and setting them in the aisle! One of which was my laptop case. She was muttering something along the lines of "These will just have to go elsewhere" as she placed her rather larger roller board in the bin. The FA's refused to get involved and everyone was left trying to scramble to find other places for their items.
I'm pretty surprised they weren't gate checking bags at that point. However, I always ask permission to move someone else's stuff significantly (like to another bin, turn it 90 degrees or more, etc). Just like I would want done with mine.

If a random came on and took something of mine out of the overhead, I would speak up and kindly ask them to desist. THEIR bag, given there is no space for it, is what will have to go somewhere else - probably checked under the plane.

It's fine you're in F next time, but I sometimes wonder why people don't put their foot down with some of these rude people. That's how they get away with it, railroading others for their own selfish interests.
Hoyaheel, janehoya, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: Delta, United
This reminds me of a similar incident involving my laptop case last December. I was on a 739 redeye, SEA-ATL, seated in Y, a few spots behind the exit row. Once per year my husband and I take our small dog (bichon frise) home to FL to visit family. Obviously the pet carrier was under my seat, causing my laptop case to be placed in the overhead bin. My husband had his carry-on under his seat, so the overhead bin was the only option for my laptop case. Towards the end of boarding a woman from presumably zone 3 or basic came up and starting literally taking people's bags out of the overhead bin and setting them in the aisle! One of which was my laptop case. She was muttering something along the lines of "These will just have to go elsewhere" as she placed her rather larger roller board in the bin. The FA's refused to get involved and everyone was left trying to scramble to find other places for their items. Luckily we crammed my laptop case under my husband's seat in addition to his carry on, but it made for a very uncomfortable 5 hours.
I am just tired enough of crap like this scenario from people to let the woman sit down, then proceed to remove her bag, and hand it to the GA to gate check. I would also be filing a complaint for the FA's inaction.
bocastephen, Thysk and Cotumely like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
I generally sit in F aisle. If my window mate hasn’t arrived yet, I will stow my carry on in the bin and shut it- even if it’s half-empty. When they arrive I tell them to open it up, and there is space for their carry on. It solves a lot of the nonsense of other pax poaching the overhead space directly above our two seats.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I generally sit in F aisle. If my window mate hasn’t arrived yet, I will stow my carry on in the bin and shut it- even if it’s half-empty. When they arrive I tell them to open it up, and there is space for their carry on. It solves a lot of the nonsense of other pax poaching the overhead space directly above our two seats.
The ironic part is I feel like I’ve read posts in this thread or similar threads on FT about people observing what they call DYKWIA behavior of people putting their bag in a bin and then closing it, thus appearing to claim the whole bin for themselves.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
No you just poached space. You're not entitled to space, nor that if there is, that it be above you. You're the one imposing nonsense on others, violating the 1st come first served nature of OH space. If your seat mate wants OH space they can board earlier.

I'd rather spend another 15 minutes in the SC, not on the plane. However I know if I do I risk there not being space.
KBMIFlyer, brizone and Cotumely like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No you just poached space. You're not entitled to space, nor that if there is, that it be above you. You're the one imposing nonsense on others, violating the 1st come first served nature of OH space. If your seat mate wants OH space they can board earlier.
On the other hand, the bins above F and C+ say reserved. I think the rules of engagement should be if your aren't in F/C+ and seats are still empty in those areas, you can't take the space. I've seen FAs apply the described tactic to ensure bins for late arrivals in F/C+.

Some people boarding late in F/C+ are not doing it by choice--tight connections and late flights are common reasons.
FlyingNone and SeaHawg like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

Under normal circumstances I ALWAYS put my laptop case under my seat, regardless of cabin class, just because I don't want to have to fight for overhead bin space.

This upcoming December I am traveling solo with the pet, so I have opted for F to hopefully have more room (and FA support) should it happen again.
I don't let people get away with this kind of s***. I would have an FA there immediately to correct this person. Is this person was so concerned about having a place for the bag, they would have bought F or priority boarding. Besides, if this was really an oversize bag, the GA wasn't doing his/her job to catch it before boarding.
FlyingNone and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO

I'd rather spend another 15 minutes in the SC, not on the plane. However I know if I do I risk there not being space.
If OP was in Y, I would agree. But in F on most aircraft, there should be enough OH space for every F passenger to put their bag in the bin above their seat, barring too many F passengers exceeding carryon limits and placing it all in the bin. I’m not saying I would do it, but I don’t see it as poaching at all, especially when F pax are supposed to have dedicated bin space and when there are more legitimate reasons to late boarding than your preference of staying in the SC longer. Many connections at or around MCT mean you arrive at your next gate well after boarding has begun or a delayed inbound may mean you’re getting to the gate for your connecting flight well after boarding has begun.

I would say you shouldn’t prevent other F pax from
using that bin if needed. But closing it to prevent Y pax from throwing their stuff in there as they board is hardly “poaching” or inappropriate in my opinion.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

If OP was in Y, I would agree. But in F on most aircraft, there should be enough OH space for every F passenger to put their bag in the bin above their seat, barring too many F passengers exceeding carryon limits and placing it all in the bin. I’m not saying I would do it, but I don’t see it as poaching at all, especially when F pax are supposed to have dedicated bin space and when there are more legitimate reasons to late boarding than your preference of staying in the SC longer. Many connections at or around MCT mean you arrive at your next gate well after boarding has begun or a delayed inbound may mean you’re getting to the gate for your connecting flight well after boarding has begun.

I would say you shouldn’t prevent other F pax from
using that bin if needed. But closing it to prevent Y pax from throwing their stuff in there as they board is hardly “poaching” or inappropriate in my opinion.
Agreed. If I were flying next to/across from SeaHawg in F, I would be pleased that he/she had saved me some bin space. Obviously, the F/As have more to worry about during boarding than who is putting their stuff where, but it would be nice if the F bin space was actually reserved for F passengers.

I am usually one of the last to board when flying F, and it's super annoying when Zone 3/non-F pax have filled the (allegedly reserved) F overhead bins prior to my boarding.
FlyingNone and In2ishn like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:15 am

If the FAs won’t enforce what delta markets as dedicated Bin space , a scanner activated lock should be implemented. Scan your boarding pass, bin opens up! Problem solved. Bing!
strickerj and Cotumely like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
and this is why the 753 is the best narrow-body F cabin in the fleet ... no coach seats forward of the 2L door
zeebanker, AKC6, CREN and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold

I was on a B6 flight once where a guy took someone bag out and left in the aisle. FAs similarly refused to do anything about it. I complained to the airline and heard nothing back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.