Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles 1M & DM ; Hyatt Discoverist
My pillow needs the armrest to itself; and also 2% of your seat as well.

On AMS-PDX, DL metal. In DC+ in 16B in a 2-3-2 configuration. Let me set up the boarding situation to give some context. Seat 16A (with me in the 2) jumps up and insists that I move right after door close to make a poach attempt on 13C. I hadn't noticed one way or the other if 13C was empty, but 16A took all her under-seat carry-on and ran over there, squeezing by 13E, only to find the real 13C returns from bathroom just as the poacher settles, so then she must return to 16A. She then shouts in my ear to yell something across the plane to her friend in 14F before takeoff. I know it's going to be "one of those" legs.

I admit I occasionally get into an arm rest war, but I usually just explain to the seat mate that I do have to do some work and the only way to type easily without being out in the aisle is to use part of the middle arm rest. 16A then puts her pillow on the armrest and keeps pushing her pillow into my seat as well, such that the pillow is about 3 inches into my seat. I eventually ask her to move it. She does. Then, 10 minutes later, she puts it back, saying that "she's uncomfortable with the arm rest shaking when I type". I pointed out that for most of the 6 hours into our 10 hour flight I hadn't even used the middle arm rest at all, and I did need to get some work done, and it's unreasonable for her pillow to be in seat in this way. She ignored me. I spent the rest of the flight with her pillow getting about three inches of my seat. I said: "We should find a reasonable compromise to this." and she ignored me again. I gave up. She continued to push the pillow further into my seat even after my laptop was put away, even during landing.

After customs and baggage claim while waiting for ground transport, I couldn't help myself when I saw 16A waiting for a ride and said upon departing: "You may need to call a separate Lyft for your pillow".

Last edited by shipitfish; Feb 5, 2019 at 2:24 pm Reason: typo fix & some more details.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:59 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Boarding my flight to take seat 2A. To the 2 pax in front of me, GA says thank you for being Silver then thx for being Gold. I get thx for DM. Guy behind me grips at the GA, why are you letting silver and golds on with this group. “Because they're in First Class”. He then takes the walk of shame back to Y.
Cher905, Statman, Burj and 17 others like this.

Last edited by Tomphot; Feb 7, 2019 at 1:46 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:34 pm

so who is the DYKWIA here?
bluegreen likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Tomphot
Boarding my flight to take seat 2A. To the 2 pax in front of me, GA says thank you for being Silver then thx for being Gold. I get thx for DM. Guy behind me grips at the GA, why are you letting silver and golds on with this group. “Because they're in First Class”. He then takes the walk of shame back to Y.
Love it, candidate for the wiki.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It's stories like this that make me tempted to throw one of my old Silver Medallion bag tags on my backpack.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by hi55us
Love it, candidate for the wiki.
I agree, so I added it.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Wow!!!!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Hmm true but the rushing past PREM described above is ridiculous.. Maybe they should just board with prem; interesting business choice

wonder if Delta thinks the marketing value of “supporting the troops” via priority boarding outweighs the logistical confusion and low uptake rates.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Yep. The topic often creates a storm here on FT but DL does allow military to board first, even before FC. Announced back in February. I think one of the guys from my previous unit was partially responsible for getting this implemented too.
https://news.delta.com/active-milita...-delta-flights
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm a Diamond and in F and you made me gate check bag

In flight LAX-SEA sitting in F. We're one or two passengers from finishing boarding and last passenger to board in F gets up to start complaining. He was one of last passengers to board and GA asked him to check his bag. They juggle a few bags around to fit bags that were on plane, (before he had boarded) but lacking space in bin. They thus now have one or two extra spaces . He's now upset and demanding they pull his bag from the cargo hold. They tell him no. He keeps repeating he's a Diamond and he's in First. They again explain it's not going to happen. They have to drag a redcoat down to explain no it's not going to happen, and that at time they asked there was no space. Keeps going back to how he's a Diamond. Finally the redcoat states that in that case he should know how the process works. Shuts him up really fast. Also helps that a few passengers laugh when he was told that.

Last edited by flyerCO; Apr 1, 2019 at 6:18 pm
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by flyerCO
In flight LAX-SEA sitting in F. We're one or two passengers from boarding and last passenger to board in F gets up to start complaining. He was one of last passengers to board and GA asked him to check his bag. They juggle a few bags around to fit bags that were on plane, but lacking space in bin. They thus now have one or two extra spaces . He's now upset and demanding they pull his bag from the cargo hold. They tell him no. He keeps repeating he's a Diamond and he's in First. They again explain it's not going to happen. They have to drag a redcoat down to explain no it's not going to happen, and that at time they asked there was no space. Keeps going back to how he's a Diamond. Finally the redcoat states that in that case he should know how the process works. Shuts him up really fast. Also helps few passengers laugh when he was told that.
While I completely agree this guy was out of line, I do empathize with him somewhat, as I have been on very tight connections due to first leg delays, and have been in this situation before., As a 1K / GS on UA, I have had flight attendants hold a small spot in an overhead for me (when sitting up front only has this happened) so that I didn't end up having to check a carry-on.... and this is especially nice when I am in a bulkhead and have my backpack with $4000 worth of electronics, batteries, headphones, etc when I would push back very hard to not have to check it.

I'm not sure what this guy's situation was as to why he was the last one to board, but if he was on a delayed connection, I could understand the frustration. Doesn't give him the right to create a huge situation for sure. As a DM in a tough situation, it would be nice for the FA's to help out.... but acting like a jerk never gets you far when dealing with authority.

Usually a few kind words go a long way, and many FA's have helped me out in the past by putting a small carry-on into one of their own luggage closets to avoid a gate check.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jjmoore
While I completely agree this guy was out of line, I do empathize with him somewhat, as I have been on very tight connections due to first leg delays, and have been in this situation before., As a 1K / GS on UA, I have had flight attendants hold a small spot in an overhead for me (when sitting up front only has this happened) so that I didn't end up having to check a carry-on.... and this is especially nice when I am in a bulkhead and have my backpack with $4000 worth of electronics, batteries, headphones, etc when I would push back very hard to not have to check it.

I'm not sure what this guy's situation was as to why he was the last one to board, but if he was on a delayed connection, I could understand the frustration. Doesn't give him the right to create a huge situation for sure. As a DM in a tough situation, it would be nice for the FA's to help out.... but acting like a jerk never gets you far when dealing with authority.

Usually a few kind words go a long way, and many FA's have helped me out in the past by putting a small carry-on into one of their own luggage closets to avoid a gate check.
Empathetic or not, I don't see the reason for this PAX to potentially delay the boarding of the aircraft. Perhaps PAX just had a bad day and took it out on the FA's, it happens to the best of us.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Perhaps PAX just had a bad day...
This happens to the best of us.
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
...and took it out on the FA's, it happens to the best of us.
This doesn't happen to the best of us.
puck021, MSPpete, eeb100k and 12 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I'm not sure what this guy's situation was as to why he was the last one to board, but if he was on a delayed connection, I could understand the frustration.
I don't. If he's a diamond, he's flown enough to know that unexpected things happen. Deal with it like an adult. If you can't adapt to a VERY MINOR issue like having your bag checked, you probably shouldn't be flying that much.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:27 pm

The frustration is why the FAs did not look for bin space for his bag, force him to check it, THEN go shifting bags around and find more space.
LAX-1K likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:01 pm

It is the pressure to get the plane out. Given all the time in the world all sorts of different decisions might be made more pdb, no first class seats going out empty, waiting two minutes for the passengers that you know just landed two gates down, rearranging overheads rather than grabbing bags to check. But the ga and fas are under pressure to get the plane closed and pushed back so decisions are made with that as top priority

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.