Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
======
They're not going to "berate or retrain" the flight attendant. They'll probably give her a medal for avoiding a politically incorrect situation, translates = will avoid the COS lawsuit.
Here's a great Post from a related thread, giving links to Delta's COC, and their "Customers Requiring Extra Space" policy. Easy enough to make a sheet with the relevant screen grabs from both, and carry three copies as one travels. One for the FA, one for the passenger, and one to keep when the others disappear.

I read a great essay last month about negotiating in such situations; I wish I'd saved the link. However, simply going through the mind exercise of imagining such a brilliant essay exists, and trying to imagine the takeaway message, is probably enough: Most people who get all worked up and say they'll sue aren't going to do so. If someone's actual goal is to either be accommodated or to lay the groundwork for a successful lawsuit, they are calmly and methodically collecting all necessary data for the latter, while displaying a better understanding of the rules than anyone empowered to enforce them. Think with your best poker-table skills how you would recognize the person more likely to actually sue, then be that person. Above all, maintain the unflappable calm of someone who is paid very well to handle stressful situations.

The above prop will help.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:05 am

Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:20 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by tennessetom
From the article

Flight attendants asked air marshals who were sitting in the back of the plane to help subdue Beach, according to the criminal complaint.
Whatttttt
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:39 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Syzygies
Here's a great Post from a related thread, giving links to Delta's COC, and their "Customers Requiring Extra Space" policy. Easy enough to make a sheet with the relevant screen grabs from both, and carry three copies as one travels. One for the FA, one for the passenger, and one to keep when the others disappear.

I read a great essay last month about negotiating in such situations; I wish I'd saved the link. However, simply going through the mind exercise of imagining such a brilliant essay exists, and trying to imagine the takeaway message, is probably enough: Most people who get all worked up and say they'll sue aren't going to do so. If someone's actual goal is to either be accommodated or to lay the groundwork for a successful lawsuit, they are calmly and methodically collecting all necessary data for the latter, while displaying a better understanding of the rules than anyone empowered to enforce them. Think with your best poker-table skills how you would recognize the person more likely to actually sue, then be that person. Above all, maintain the unflappable calm of someone who is paid very well to handle stressful situations.

The above prop will help.
If I’m going to sue someone I never say anything, makes I’d harder to prep by destroying evidence, BleachBitting computers, shredding documents, etc.

I have threated to sue but ask if that person has $10,000 to $25,000 for a retainer for an attorney to defend the suit. Most people don’t have an extra $20,000 they can part with within 30 days of getting served, and that alone will be the moment of clarity needed to get the other person to think a little more rationally.

Speak very politely and quietly - which can be more intimidating that shouting.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by puddinhead

If I’m going to sue someone I never say anything, makes I’d harder to prep by destroying evidence, BleachBitting computers, shredding documents, etc.

I have threated to sue but ask if that person has $10,000 to $25,000 for a retainer for an attorney to defend the suit. Most people don’t have an extra $20,000 they can part with within 30 days of getting served, and that alone will be the moment of clarity needed to get the other person to think a little more rationally.

First, if you are threatening a FA, this would not work. As the employer of the FA, Delta would likely be required to defend and indemnify the FA. I don't know, but I suspect that Delta may have an extra $25k to pay an attorney. Even when doing this to an individual, they may have insurance which would defend and indemnify. Once, when I sent a demand letter to a spammer, he told me not to talk about suing, just do it. I did it on a Monday, served on a Wednesday, and picked up a settlement check on a Thursday -- Faster settlement ever.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by tennessetom
That's one way of showing DL what happens when your GUC does not clear
spamkiller likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:41 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I wonder how often puddinhead threatens to sue people. It sounds like it's a pretty regular occurrence.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
I wonder how often puddinhead threatens to sue people. It sounds like it's a pretty regular occurrence.
Yes it does. Threatening people to get what you want. Interesting.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pvn
Do or not do. There is no threat. Lots of people threaten. Most of them are empty.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:32 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pvn
Some people want to have their puddin', and eat it, too!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by spamkiller
Do or not do. There is no threat. Lots of people threaten. Most of them are empty.
    • a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.
      "members of her family have received death threats"synonyms:threatening remark, warning, ultimatum
      "Maggie ignored his threats"
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spamkiller
Huh? Most people are empty?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Huh? Most people are empty?
Above the neck, yes.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
I would have requested the Purser, the Gate Agent, and the Captain to come and handle the situation. If they failed to give me my seat, I would have required that they give me a written statement of the situation and their decision prior to my being seated.
So you would have gotten yourself arrested for disobeying flight crew? Interesting strategy
sig05 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by puddinhead

That holds as much water as an elementary school kid saying my dad will own your dad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.