Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:49 pm

Sorry for the delay with my replies. I've been rather busy at work.

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Whose minions were they? It's quite usual to starve minions.
Ha! not sure whose minions they were are Gru was not around.

Originally Posted by tvtd
Assuming the family walked past the Food Court area, if he’s a DM, he should be able to judge if he has enough time to run to a restaurant to order something for the son while letting the wife and son board.
True.

Originally Posted by rizrizriz
While its true that I will soon be one of those traveling with kids, your absolutely right that if your a DM (heck if you GM) you should know by now and honestly no try to throw blame on others due to your mismanagement with time (and I know already with kids you never know what is gonna pop up, but really, to make a fuss like that) clearly a DYKWIA
Clear time mismanagement. This was a full flight so I doubt he moved to it from another, therefore he def should've known what time it was supposed to depart vs the time he arrived in the gate. Plenty of time to pick up snacks and a potty stop.

Originally Posted by rickg523
You're saying this guy was playing DYKWIA?
Yes he was.

Originally Posted by pvn
How did you NOT get a pic of this???
Good point I should've.

Originally Posted by mikeef
Parents showed up at the airport without enough food for their infant to handle a 60-minute delay? And is Diamond (so he knows how to travel)?

Where's the "double face-palm?"

Mike
Better yet- the wife had a look on her face of embarassment.

Originally Posted by BeatCal
The gate agent should be reprimended. He should have had an idea how long it would take to board which is the question he was asked. That is why Delta's service has declined. I would gotten his name and number and rreported him.
YOu all blame the wrong person. You have no idea the last several minutes of diamond with kids. Probably had to go to bathroom etc.
Originally Posted by Howste
You're saying it's the responsibility of a gate agent to plan in case a DM might show up late for a delayed flight with a hungry child? She should be reprimanded for truthfully telling the DM that the flight would leave as soon as possible (within 20 minutes as she stated) instead of further delaying the flight for his lack of planning? I want to believe you're being sarcastic, but I don't see an emoji to indicate that.

(emphasis mine)

The fact that you have the gender of the GA mixed up tells me you probably think the GA made the announcement about starving them, but it was the passenger making the announcement. And almost as an afterthought he included his son.
Originally Posted by Howste
The gate agent basically did just that. The DM used that information to decide to not go and eat. He probably asked for snacks as soon as he boarded.

Good point. The road warrior Diamond Medallion Minion seemed to think that the airline only flies for him and his family. The rest of the "commoners" on the plane should certainly be delayed because this road warrior and his family didn't think to pack a snack. You make a good argument that the GA did the right thing and the passenger was a DYKWIA.
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12

The best response would have been a polite "no". Open ended responses leave everything up to interpretation and if a grown man is wearing a minion onesie then the GA clearly should have realized she was not dealing with a rational adult.
So could've the GA stated a better reply. Sure. What the DM being inappropriate with his comment. Yup. He clearly wanted to make a scene with his comment re: starving minion and child otherwise he wouldn't have made such a loud comment for the entire area to hear. I def agree he should've planned better.

Originally Posted by zitsky
An adult in a onesie is cute but it would freak me out a little. As you say, is he rational?
Prob not rational. Either super spoiled or super DYKWIA (regarding everything in his life).
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree with you that the parents should take responsibility, but it's inappropriate for a (customer service especially) employee to make an unnecessary and offensive personal comment to a customer. Basically it's not the employee's business how the parent feeds the kid, plans/does not plan, or lives his life.
Except according to the OP the GA did not make any inappropriate comments:

Originally Posted by met19
In SLC going to RNO. Family arrives at gate- son and male parent in minion's one-sies. How sweet. Mother is dressed in normal everyday clothes. Flight is delayed due to storm. I was in the sky club but made sure I was in the gate area incase their was clearance to take off. Clearly they were not. They arrived just as boarding the extra time and infants began (mind you 40 min late). Father went up to single GA and asked if there was time to get food as it was almost noon and his soon was hungry (plenty of FF around in D gates). She replied, "As soon as I fully board the plane its leaving as its now 40 min late and will be 60 plus late when it departs". He makes a loud announcement that she is starving a diamond member who is a minion and his son. Fellow traveler replied "I'm ok to starve minions as long as we get out sooner as we are late." Applause all around the gate.
If you were at your connecting stop and your plane was late and connecting flight was the last out, Delta used to hold it with the ad "We will get you home" That is the Delta that CE started and why it used to be the best airline in all service awards. (But not in on time arrival as they held flights vida supra)
Fortunately or unfortunately the industry has changed and are now measured on hard numbers. So they are between the terminal and the tarmac. Hold the last flight of the night and get dinged or have a singular rule to get the flight out on time. The singular rule is going happened in today's world with a large and very competitive industry.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Mar 18, 2018 at 9:48 am
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:21 am

The gate agent should be reprimended. He should have had an idea how long it would take to board which is the question he was asked. That is why Delta's service has declined. I would gotten his name and number and rreported him.
YOu all blame the wrong person. You have no idea the last several minutes of diamond with kids. Probably had to go to bathroom etc.
Even with all the other passengers' personal life issues, they managed to get on board. Right? Then why can't a DM manage to get on board when they are suppose to. And as a parent, shouldn't you be prepared to have some back up food/snack just in case of IRROPS? Taking responsibility for you and your family goes a long way.

Last edited by sspontak; Mar 18, 2018 at 10:27 am
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree with you that the parents should take responsibility, but it's inappropriate for a (customer service especially) employee to make an unnecessary and offensive personal comment to a customer. Basically it's not the employee's business how the parent feeds the kid, plans/does not plan, or lives his life.
Agreed, I was being facetious. I don't have the temperament to be a GA, and it seems the older I get, the less patience I have
rizrizriz likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
What happens when helping someone out hurts other people, people who are late/miss connections due to an even later departure so an adult minion (gak I can't believe I have to type this...) can get food for his family?

And no, I don't ever wear athletic hats. I do, however, travel with nuts & granola bars in my bag in case of emergencies.....
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
If the person really was a "diamond member" they should have enough airline experience to know what the GA's answer would be without having to ask.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
If the person really was a "diamond member" they should have enough airline experience to know what the GA's answer would be without having to ask.
Oh, Mister Diamond Minion absolutely knows the answer. But that was his carefully phrased statement to try and DYKWIA himself a favorable response. I love that it failed.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: A few

you all show that the data is correct. Too bad you are changing the country

Here's the cold, hard data: The incidence of narcissistic personality disorder is nearly three times as high for people in their 20s as for the generation that's now 65 or older, according to the National Institutes of Health; 58% more college students scored higher on a narcissism scale in 2009 than in 1982. Millennials got so many participation trophies growing up that a recent study showed that 40% believe they should be promoted every two years, regardless of performance. They are fame-obsessed: three times as many middle school girls want to grow up to be a personal assistant to a famous person as want to be a Senator, according to a 2007 survey; four times as many would pick the assistant job over CEO of a major corporation. They're so convinced of their own greatness that the National Study of Youth and Religion found the guiding morality of 60% of millennials in any situation is that they'll just be able to feel what's right. Their development is stunted: more people ages 18 to 29 live with their parents than with a spouse, according to the 2012 Clark University Poll of Emerging Adults. And they are lazy. In 1992, the nonprofit Families and Work Institute reported that 80% of people under 23 wanted to one day have a job with greater responsibility; 10 years later, only 60% did.
I don't care how you slice it, the Minion DM was unprepared, nobody's fault but his own. The GA was not at fault, nor should they be reprimanded. Pretty uncourteous of the DM to act the way he did, don't you think?
Seabilly likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you all show that the data is correct. Too bad you are changing the country

Here's the cold, hard data: The incidence of narcissistic personality disorder is nearly three times as high for people in their 20s as for the generation that's now 65 or older, according to the National Institutes of Health; 58% more college students scored higher on a narcissism scale in 2009 than in 1982. Millennials got so many participation trophies growing up that a recent study showed that 40% believe they should be promoted every two years, regardless of performance. They are fame-obsessed: three times as many middle school girls want to grow up to be a personal assistant to a famous person as want to be a Senator, according to a 2007 survey; four times as many would pick the assistant job over CEO of a major corporation. They're so convinced of their own greatness that the National Study of Youth and Religion found the guiding morality of 60% of millennials in any situation is that they'll just be able to feel what's right. Their development is stunted: more people ages 18 to 29 live with their parents than with a spouse, according to the 2012 Clark University Poll of Emerging Adults. And they are lazy. In 1992, the nonprofit Families and Work Institute reported that 80% of people under 23 wanted to one day have a job with greater responsibility; 10 years later, only 60% did.
Problem is, narcissists in their 20's can be PITA.
But narcissists in their 60's and older are running stuff. Right into the ground.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12

Thats crazy! I just finished reading a study that said 92% of people over 65 drool, and that a 100% of people under the age of 48 rule.
Really? I just found a study that found that 90% of all statistics are made up.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:13 pm

gooselee and rickg523 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver

And they are lazy. In 1992, the nonprofit Families and Work Institute reported that 80% of people under 23 wanted to one day have a job with greater responsibility; 10 years later, only 60% did.
Drifting into OMNI territory here, but than one makes sense to me- so many times in modern work life, the greater responsibility job majorly does not come with anywhere the power or tools to enable success in managing that new responsibility. It's like 'Fix it! But the first five logical fixes for the problem must be approved by this guy in Miami and no one else, and we have no idea when he's going to get back from Switzerland. In the mean time, it's All Your Fault"

It really encourages one to not be on the management track.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Exclamation Friendly message from a dl moderator

Please review the original intent of the thread, DYKWIA thread.
It is not a thread to post political polemics or discuss the behavior of children, etc. I have deleted several off topic posts and will continue to delete further off topic posts.
Please stay on topic..
Thanks..
Obscure2k
DL Moderator
susanc, jinglish, aidy and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
It a dykwia

in Atl
gate agent oblivious to passengers
blocki entire aisle
look mad when lady in wheelchair attempts to pass to further gate
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
in Atl
gate agent oblivious to passengers
blocki entire aisle
look mad when lady in wheelchair attempts to pass to further gate
I believe that is neither the correct number of lines nor number of syllables for a Haiku verse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.