Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Gig103
Wiki Link

Top Characters & Stories:

Go ahead, post your favorites
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 14, 12, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
I can definitely see the advantage of having one on your bag, because as another poster pointed out, in the overhead bin lottery, an FA is less likely to move way out/check etc the bag.
Old Feb 14, 12, 7:09 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Originally Posted by Slow learner View Post
I say leave them alone. It's just the same as the guys with "Truck Nuts" (you know, the pseudo bull's scrotum that rednecks hang from towing hitches) whereby you can instantly spot the kind of people you need to avoid in a crowd - well, it's the same deal with all the DYKWIA tags. It tells you everything you need to know about the individual without wasting any time actually talking to them.
Maybe this person could combine these, Truck nuts with DM/Skymiles logo to wear around his neck !
Old Feb 14, 12, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
I would find such ostentatious display both funny and sad, but not angersome.

I guess I've flown with enough luggage tags and others bearing luggage tags to know better.

Also, I'm one of those who is slightly emberassed about going through priority lines, getting on a plane first, and sipping bubbly in first while families with kids and octogenarians stroll past me to get to coach.

This attitude has served me well, now that I have to sit in coach myself.
Old Feb 14, 12, 7:15 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/2.992MM And holding - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Miniflyer View Post
So can I not display my KM tag?
I always make sure my KM tag can be seen
Old Feb 14, 12, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I find that these days there is no reason for tags. I just assume that 90% of the people in F are diamonds.
Old Feb 14, 12, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post
I find that these days there is no reason for tags. I just assume that 90% of the people in F are diamonds.
And 40% of the people in Y
Old Feb 14, 12, 7:26 am

Programs: DL-PM, SPG-Gold; HH-Dia
Originally Posted by glbetrotter View Post
... I wish I had the nerve to snap a picture.
That's one of my favorite things to do is snipe pictures of the ridiculous i see. might have to start posting the ff ones here...if it pleases the court.

Title: DYKWIA...WDN
Old Feb 14, 12, 7:36 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
ditto

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson View Post
Diamond tags are good for you carry on. When the overheads get full, the FAs typically make a greater effort to get your bag in the closet or in a spot on the plane when they see that hunk of metal. They also keep the credit card hawkers away. It is all about balance. I could give a fork what someone thinks about my IQ and social placement, I do care if they make my life easier.
What he said +1.

And the cowbell noise coming down the jet bridge give the FA ample notice to clear the lesser medallions out of my way.
Old Feb 14, 12, 7:42 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by glbetrotter View Post
I wish I had the nerve to snap a picture.
OMG...I just LOVE to superstitiously snap photos of people at the airport. I think I'll develop a photo journal entitled [I]Crazy $&!# I See at the Airport.[I] I have seen some real humdingers:

1. FAs with hair so high they have to bend over to walk down the aisle on an RJ

2. Pleasingly plump women wearing cheetah-print lycra and stilettos

3. Gentlemen who clearly were dressing for their job as a pimp

4. Exposed body parts that NO ONE wants to see

5. People being drug off the plane

6. Hair colors not found in nature

Most of this, of course, is on ATL-FLL flights and in either of those airports. I don't know what it is about those places but the street theater is brilliant!
Old Feb 14, 12, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I have my GM tag on my hand luggage but you won't see it because it is covered by my KM tag.

(I also have my GM card in my wallet. I figure that I am getting close to the age where senility sets in, so I keep as much ID with me as possible, just in case I need to Know Who I Am).
Old Feb 14, 12, 7:52 am

I use my tags like others to provide some additional ID and to maybe cut down on carry on hassle. Always wonder though what happens when I need to check a bag on AA or UA, special treatment?
Old Feb 14, 12, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I will not put the DM tags on as I don't want to be "that guy". I would love a KM tag though
Old Feb 14, 12, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.2MM & a bunch of other programs...
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy View Post
I will not put the DM tags on as I don't want to be "that guy". I would love a KM tag though
I put my DM tags on my backpack and carry on specifically for the "don't move my stuff" reason.

I too would like a KM and an HS (Ham Sandwich) tag.
Old Feb 14, 12, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM MM
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
I have my GM tag on my hand luggage but you won't see it because it is covered by my KM tag.

(I also have my GM card in my wallet. I figure that I am getting close to the age where senility sets in, so I keep as much ID with me as possible, just in case I need to Know Who I Am).
: we ALL know who you are, Dovie!
Old Feb 15, 12, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson View Post
Diamond tags are good for you carry on. When the overheads get full, the FAs typically make a greater effort to get your bag in the closet or in a spot on the plane when they see that hunk of metal. They also keep the credit card hawkers away. It is all about balance. I could give a fork what someone thinks about my IQ and social placement, I do care if they make my life easier.

I am also smart enough to know that if one starts to go over the top with it, like say a hat or having tags on all your bags on the plane, you could be perceived as an over the top type, which negates the effectiveness of the tags as far as your interactions with Delta folks.

Also, there are lots of reasons why I am better than most folks on the airplane... especially the ones sitting behind me in Tourist, the Diamond tag is just one of the many reasons why....
I have found the bag tags to useful for just the above noted reason. Also helps to speed past the Sky Priority Lane guard. But tag around the neck??! I don't even know what to say.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: