Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by WWads
That's rather harsh. Most people I see in F are acceptably dressed, with only the occasional (probably FCM pax) looking like what you describe.
lol come on man, the "probably FCM pax" crack is exactly what he's talking about
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
lol come on man, the "probably FCM pax" crack is exactly what he's talking about
Gotta learn how to recognize dry sarcasm.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by Tomphot
David - Funny story! The biggest wow is that you got upgraded from ATL to the west coast as a GM!! What was your destination that had upgrades available?
I did not even see that op was only gold! Now I am definitely calling shenanigans.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
^This! Good gosh! Between straining necks to look at boarding passes and asking people what group they're in, I hope I never have the displeasure of boarding with some of you.

For the record, I'm young and purchase a mix of F and main cabin fares and generally get upgraded 90% of the time. I look clean, but also like I'm going for a jog (sweatpants and a nice t-shirt) most of the time. It's commercial flying- not a private jet.
I did not know there was such a thing as a "nice t-shirt"? Is that one that looks as if you are wearing a tux?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
I did not know there was such a thing as a "nice t-shirt"? Is that one that looks as if you are wearing a tux?

Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by davetravels

Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Something like that I guess. Usually exofficio or something high-quality and compact/made for travel haha!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by Tomphot
David - Funny story! The biggest wow is that you got upgraded from ATL to the west coast as a GM!! What was your destination that had upgrades available?
Wow upgraded as GM.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by David Fifer
They call for DM and first and I step forward. He grabs me be the arm and starts demanding to see my boarding pass. I smile and inform him that he can let me go or he can call his attorney since I would press charges.

The GA pulls him aside and I board the flight. Funny enough, he never got on board.
Wow. You were nice. I'd have told him he'd be calling his dentist.

Srsly. WTH is wrong with people?

O/H
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:30 am

I narrowly avoided a DYKWIA moment recently at BRS (Bristol, England) during check-in (ok, I was on KLM, but the guy in front of me was feeding onto a flight to JFK, potentially on DL). There was a big crowd of people who obviously knew each other, looked like a tour of some kind, taking up both the regular and Sky Priority lines. I thought about asking the guy in front of me if he was in the right line, but decided against it as I had plenty of time before my flight, and the lounge at BRS isn't that great anyway.

As I slowly began to wake up, I noticed that all the guys in the economy line had lanyards and tags with the name of a Grammy-winning artist on their bags. They were his band. Then I noticed all the gold jewellery on the guy in front. It was the artist that the band in economy supported, flying back to the US after having played Glastonbury festival the day before. That could have been very embarrassing for me!

I never saw him in the lounge, I'm not sure if he was hanging with his band, or went to the other one.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by David Fifer
First FT post and this seems like the right thread to drop this.

A few weeks ago, I was flying through ATL on a Sunday morning in advance of a long conference on the west coast. I decided to dress more casual than usual for the flight since it was going to be a long day and I had nobody to see when I got there. I'm under 30, have a buzzed head and large beard, and some visible tattoos when I'm not in a suit (which is what I normally fly in), so maybe not the proto-typical F flyer, but also nothing terribly unusual.

My upgrade cleared and I was pretty pleased to have a few hours of movie time in a large seat. I queue up for first class and an older man walks over to me and points out that I'm in the first class line. I smile, say thank you, and turn my back to him. He then yells for a GA to move me "to where I belong".

The GA ignores him and smiles at me. He then becomes irate that I would hold up the process for everybody. I continue to ignore him. They call for DM and first and I step forward. He grabs me be the arm and starts demanding to see my boarding pass. I smile and inform him that he can let me go or he can call his attorney since I would press charges.

The GA pulls him aside and I board the flight. Funny enough, he never got on board.
Wonderful first post.

Welcome to FT.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:37 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by WWads
Gotta learn how to recognize dry sarcasm.
maybe you should get better at writing it. To be recognizable, there has to be some difference between the sarcasm and the actual, sincere postings.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
Originally Posted by skchin
Wow upgraded as GM.
Back in my glory days as an FO I was upgraded out of DCA to MCO... miracles happen
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by <3vacations
Back in my glory days as an FO I was upgraded out of DCA to MCO... miracles happen
As an FO I was upgraded ATL-CDG, which I consider a true miracle as while I was on Delta metal I was flying on an Air France ticket. Obviously, this was an ops up, but to this day I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a higher ranking elite -- either Delta or AF -- on the flight.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
I have been flying over 30 years and the worst DYKWIA was my spouse when she assumed the folks in line in front of us were not in first and blared out " They are only boarding premium now" to the couple who were young and she assumed were not in first. Needless to say I don't take her very many places with me anymore. I truly believe there are a lot of Walter Mittys on here.
I mostly fly AA, but when I fly DL I buy the (heavily) discounted F fares that are often cheaper than AA coach fares.

Until DL installed the stanchions for queued group boarding, F boarding at Atlanta was atrocious. There would often be a scrum of pax that blocked the boarding line. Many, many times in ATL, I would have to navigate this group -- usually angry, older men who seemed to want to prevent F pax from boarding in the correct group.

I was grabbed by the arm, shouted at, cursed, etc. Every single time, the offending party would be in coach. I don't know what it is about ATL -- this very rarely happened to me anywhere else. Flying DL from ATL, however, this was a persistent problem.

I am thankful that DL finally addressed this issue with the boarding signs and stanchions. In the last several weeks, the queues have been orderly and the situation much improved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.