Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 7, 19, 7:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Gig103
Wiki Link

Top Characters & Stories: Go ahead, post your favorites
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 19, 17, 10:16 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
I very rarely witness DYKWIA in the wild, but saw a fine display yesterday. At RDU, waiting for board a BWI-bound flight. About 1/2 the flight apparently with basic economy fares or flying standby, all waiting for seat assignments. Also very few medallions on the flight - all upgrades cleared on the CRJ-700, and there were still several F seats open.

One guy is loudly talking/hitting on a different passenger, going on about how much he flies as his super important business dealings. He approaches the GA and asks about seat assignments. She says she's processing assignments and will call people up when she has boarding passes ready. He returns to his conversation.

The GA called out a bunch of names, people lined up, and started getting their new boarding passes. Guy continues talking, this time loudly complaining about the lack of seat assignments ("I fly all the time, and Delta is the only airline that does this."). He eventually noticed the line, and corrected people, telling them that the GA would call their names when ready. They say the GA has already called people up. So he gets in line and waits.

When he gets to the counter, he berates the GA for not calling people up for seat assignments, then hands her his original print-at-home boarding pass. He pulls up an electronic version of the boarding pass and asks her if she sees TSA pre anywhere on the electronic pass. She says no. He then points to the TSA pre logo on his print-at-home boarding pass, and asks if she sees it. She said yes. Then he simply says "Delta is a terrible airline" and walked away.

The in-bound flight is late. To expedite boarding, the GA starts walking through the gate house with pink tags. As she walks towards Loud Guy's row of seats, he casually gets up and walks away. He maintains this dance, slowly strolling around the gate house moving from section to section as the GA moves through with the tags. As soon as she stopped tagging and returned to the desk, he returns to his seat. I boarded with Prem and settled into 2A. I'm not sure what happened after that, but he did not have his bag with him when he boarded.
Did all of his flying for his "super important business dealings" at least get him FO status so he could get one of those empty F seats?
Old Jun 19, 17, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tvelinsk View Post
Got off a flight yesterday from Punta Cana in Detroit yesterday, and had a family of 5 push ahead of us on the way to Customs because 'they had another flight to catch'. Our plane landed 20 minutes early, and we were all some of the first folks off the plane. What would they have done if we were on time? Shesh.
Those people were probably newbs, not DKYWIA, and anxious because they didn't have an intuitive grasp of how long Customs would take, or how long it would take to re-check their bag, or how long it would take to get to their gate, and so they weren't thinking clearly.
Old Jun 19, 17, 10:51 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
Did all of his flying for his "super important business dealings" at least get him FO status so he could get one of those empty F seats?
Nope. Not sure if he was FO or not, but he was on a basic economy fare, so no upgrades either way.
Old Jun 19, 17, 10:54 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Nope. Not sure if he was FO or not, but he was on a basic economy fare, so no upgrades either way.
Lol no elite is booking an E fare. Definitely a kettle.
Old Jun 19, 17, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Oops, forgot those existed.

Originally Posted by WWads View Post
I'd normally agree for elites spending their own money, but I think I've read about some corporate travel portals forcing booking into E fares. I also imagine there are plenty of company policies out there that require "lowest available fare" that may not have been updated since the emergence of basic economy fares in the industry.
Old Jun 19, 17, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
Many elites book thru corporate engines that require the lowest fare. There have been many threads and comments echoing this on FT.
Old Jun 19, 17, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
Oops, forgot those existed.

I'd normally agree for elites spending their own money, but I think I've read about some corporate travel portals forcing booking into E fares. I also imagine there are plenty of company policies out there that require "lowest available fare" that may not have been updated since the emergence of basic economy fares in the industry.
Based on the rantings of this particular DYKWIA, I'd guess that he flies DL occasionally, but not enough to be an FO. He apparently had experienced the basic economy seat assignment process before ("Delta always does this..."), but wasn't aware enough to know that the seat assignment process was a direct result of booking class. I also never heard him mention medallion status, and he seemed like the type of person who would loudly mention it in an attempt to garner favor from the gate agent.
Old Jun 20, 17, 8:52 am

Last week, flying OMA to ATL, I had a teenager board the plane with his dad and dad's young wife (obviously not the kids mom). Dad and wife were sitting in the row in front of me and the kid in the middle seat next to me. Kid would not turn off his phone or buckle his seat belt. Dad was oblivious with is noise cancelling headphones on so he did not hear the FA tell the kid to turn off his phone and put on the seat belt.

The second time the FA told the kid to buckle up he started to but stopped. The FA told him that he needed to buckle and leave it buckled or the next time he unbuckled he would be exiting the plane. Dad heard that conversation ( I think his wife nudged him) and turned toward the FA and told her "Do you have a problem with my kid"? The FA told him what the problem was and dad looked at the kid and proceeded to tell the FA that if she had a problem with the kid she should take it up with him. The FA told dad that if the kid needed that much supervision maybe he should be sitting next to dad and asked the wife (who the FA did not know was dad's wife) if she would be willing to change seats with the passenger directly behind her.

That is when dad used those works "HEY....DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM???" Then proceeded to tell her how much he flies and how she should be treating him better....blah, blah blah. The FA told him thanks for flying Delta but if the kid did not buckle up and stay buckled Dad could leave the plane with him.

That shut him up and he turned to the kid and threatened to "whip his ..." if he unbuckled and ruined the trip for him.

Kid better be glad I am not his parent!
Old Jun 20, 17, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. Did the FA tell him to turn off the phone totally or just put it into airplane mode?

2. It sounds to me like the kid might be better off with a parent like you.
Old Jun 20, 17, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by stillontheroad View Post
Last week, flying OMA to ATL, I had a teenager board the plane with his dad and dad's young wife (obviously not the kids mom). Dad and wife were sitting in the row in front of me and the kid in the middle seat next to me. Kid would not turn off his phone or buckle his seat belt. Dad was oblivious with is noise cancelling headphones on so he did not hear the FA tell the kid to turn off his phone and put on the seat belt.

The second time the FA told the kid to buckle up he started to but stopped. The FA told him that he needed to buckle and leave it buckled or the next time he unbuckled he would be exiting the plane. Dad heard that conversation ( I think his wife nudged him) and turned toward the FA and told her "Do you have a problem with my kid"? The FA told him what the problem was and dad looked at the kid and proceeded to tell the FA that if she had a problem with the kid she should take it up with him. The FA told dad that if the kid needed that much supervision maybe he should be sitting next to dad and asked the wife (who the FA did not know was dad's wife) if she would be willing to change seats with the passenger directly behind her.

That is when dad used those works "HEY....DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM???" Then proceeded to tell her how much he flies and how she should be treating him better....blah, blah blah. The FA told him thanks for flying Delta but if the kid did not buckle up and stay buckled Dad could leave the plane with him.

That shut him up and he turned to the kid and threatened to "whip his ..." if he unbuckled and ruined the trip for him.

Kid better be glad I am not his parent!
Sounds like dad should have sat beside his kid instead of his trophy wife. Hopefully the kid behaved during the flight
Old Jun 20, 17, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
added to the wiki ... unreal ...
Old Jun 20, 17, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by stillontheroad View Post
Do, tell!

Whip his WHAT?!?!?

Old Jun 20, 17, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Do, tell!

Whip his WHAT?!?!?

Cell Phone into the lav...that's my best guess
Old Jun 20, 17, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Sounds like dad should have sat beside his kid instead of his trophy wife. Hopefully the kid behaved during the flight
That is what the FA was trying to accomplish, before dad told her he was going to sit next to his wife not next to his kid.

Dad threatened to whip where he was sitting.

As for me, if I was the parent the FA would never been in the situation as I would have taken care of it myself. I would follow MY DADs preferred method of correction...The 3B method. (Bust my Butt with a Board) and I think I turned out alright
Old Jun 20, 17, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Just because the wife was young doesn't mean she was a trophy....

These days, though, she could be a participation trophy, I guess.

Search this Thread