Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by BeatCal
Something strange here. A MM is lifetime Gold

BeatCal Could you be thinking of AA?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:33 am

Circular firing squads seem to be popular these days.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Had one yesterday at the LGA Skyclub.

My flight was delayed and I noticed the earlier flight was delayed so decided to see if I could get on the earlier flight and someone was complaining to the Skyclub agent about having to pay $50 to SDC onto an earlier flight. He wanted to get on an earlier flight and complaining that he would have to pay $50 to SDC. He was complaining that there were seats available and they shouldn't charge anyone on an "expensive first class ticket" to go on an earlier flight and was insisting they always accommodated him in the past. The agent told him they only waived the fee for Plats and Diamonds and he was upset she wouldn't make an exception since there were still two seats available in first class and they would give them away to frequent flyers anyway and they should give the seat to him since he paid for first class.

I wanted to tell him if he was on a truly expensive first class ticket it would have been an F fare and fully changeable for free

He ended up being on my flight and a real DB to the FA for not getting him a PDB drink right away (the FA did one and was really efficient and took the drink orders right away and waited until boarding was almost completed to serve since the plane was delayed they were trying to get it boarded ASAP). I'm surprised the agent didn't put him on the earlier flight since his was also delayed but when I was talking to the agent about getting put on the earlier flight I was told I couldn't SDC since coach was full and she said the standby list was long and it would be a waste to SB and I should stay on my flight so maybe they were holding back that seat or maybe they were holding it for a DM or PM on my flight that paid for a FC seat and wanted to SDC due to the delays in NYC because of the morning rain
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I've recently found that nothing makes a SC agent's day more than paying the $29 guest fee without fuss or argument. I guess they're used to having to deal with DYKWIAs who think that their entire family should get in for free.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by ULDB65
1MM is "complimentary annual" Silver
2MM is Gold
4MM is Platinum
Showing my age. I was one of the first MMers and it was lifetime gold then (there was nobody with more)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by WWads
I've recently found that nothing makes a SC agent's day more than paying the $29 guest fee without fuss or argument. I guess they're used to having to deal with DYKWIAs who think that their entire family should get in for free.
Yeah, it makes me feel bad when I'm guesting someone and the agent is almost scared to mention the fee. Meanwhile I'm already getting my card out to pay. Just take my money, I'm happy to spend it there without making a scene.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
It wasn't that long ago (just prior to the creation of executive memberships) that you could indeed bring in your whole family. There were quite a few times I travelled with spouse and several of the kids and all got it with no issues. I think the rules stated something like "member plus immediate family". So maybe not a DYKWIA to think that rule still applies...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
It wasn't that long ago (just prior to the creation of executive memberships) that you could indeed bring in your whole family. There were quite a few times I travelled with spouse and several of the kids and all got it with no issues. I think the rules stated something like "member plus immediate family". So maybe not a DYKWIA to think that rule still applies...
No, that rule has been in place long enough now. All of the cases I've witnessed of people trying to argue their way in had a DYKWIA tone to them. Like they know the rules, but don't think that they should apply to them for whatever reason.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:33 am

No, that rule has been in place long enough now. All of the cases I've witnessed of people trying to argue their way in had a DYKWIA tone to them. Like they know the rules, but don't think that they should apply to them for whatever reason.
No the absolute best is the person who wants to bring their spouse, 6 kids, parents, in-laws, barber, college roommate, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in to the SC for free, then complain it's overcrowded and there is nowhere to sit
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by kop84
No the absolute best is the person who wants to bring their spouse, 6 kids, parents, in-laws, barber, college roommate, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in to the SC for free, then complain it's overcrowded and there is nowhere to sit
Those would be the pre-boards over at Southwest, heading to Mickey World
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Was on my way to DYKWIA, but turned it into a positive...

At DAL bag drop, both agents working the drop initially telling me that my associate, not on my PNR, could "no way" get a free checked due to flying with me. I told the agent working the computer "yes, technically not, but you've got a checkbox there to allow the same bag allowance as the Medallion, you just need to apply it manually. I'm Diamond, so he could 3 free, though he only needs one". While that agent was clicking, the other repeated it wasn't possible. I stood back & let them do their respective things for a moment, at which point the computer agent says "ok, I've gotten the free checked for your associate".
As they put bags on the belt, I came forward again and handed the computer agent a Job Well Done certificate, along with a smile and a thank you.
I love those JWD's to reward good customer service, and even more when it might help a coworker to enlightenment.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by stillontheroad
Those would be the pre-boards over at Southwest, heading to Mickey World
Hey, don't slam the Disney crowd. Flying there was the one time I ever cleared an upgrade as an Alaska elite on Delta. Even more, all 3 of us (me, wife, daughter) cleared on PWM-LGA and LGA-MCO!

We did not use the Skyclub, though. Too crowded.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kop84
Did he also try to get his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate into the lounge too?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by spamkiller
Did he also try to get his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate into the lounge too?
Lone Starr!!!!!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by EditingFX
Was on my way to DYKWIA, but turned it into a positive...

At DAL bag drop, both agents working the drop initially telling me that my associate, not on my PNR, could "no way" get a free checked due to flying with me. I told the agent working the computer "yes, technically not, but you've got a checkbox there to allow the same bag allowance as the Medallion, you just need to apply it manually. I'm Diamond, so he could 3 free, though he only needs one". While that agent was clicking, the other repeated it wasn't possible. I stood back & let them do their respective things for a moment, at which point the computer agent says "ok, I've gotten the free checked for your associate".
As they put bags on the belt, I came forward again and handed the computer agent a Job Well Done certificate, along with a smile and a thank you.
I love those JWD's to reward good customer service, and even more when it might help a coworker to enlightenment.
I'm surprised that both employees at DAL had never before seen a Medallion traveling with a companion with a separate reservation. The waiver applies as long as the companions are traveling the identical itinerary to the same final destination. They must've been new, but IIRC I don't think DAL has mainline employees, so the JWD might not provide any cash compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.