Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gooselee
DYKHIF?

Keeping it on thread, I have a coworker who is quickly turning into a DYKWIA. We've had to fly him SFO-NYC and back a couple times over the past few weeks. Overheard him the other day telling someone that DL had waived a change fee for him because he flys cross country so much and all he had to do was call.

Dude isn't even FO...I can't imagine what will happen if he ever does earn status.
Oh for the days of Flying Colonel. There were no fees ever, you could upgrade several friends to first if there was space. The chairman (Ron Allen) came to Chicago as I was leaving on my honeymoon and personally gave me a bottle of Dom. Those were the days. You really were a DYKWIA
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jrhmdtraum
Oh for the days of Flying Colonel. There were no fees ever, you could upgrade several friends to first if there was space. The chairman (Ron Allen) came to Chicago as I was leaving on my honeymoon and personally gave me a bottle of Dom. Those were the days. You really were a DYKWIA
That's not a DYKWIA, thats a TKWIA (They Know Who I Am.)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sky303
...and a friend of mine and I had the pleasure of buying them at the surplus sale at the museum a few weeks back. They now serve as the most bizarre place to store bags when we're home, LOL. Even worse was the custom boxing up we had to do on one of them to get them to my friend's house at TPA...and then the conversation with the bag drop agents who got a great laugh out of it. Pics later.
Picture as promised. I don't feel the need to lay it down correctly in there for ease of access purposes. I kind of like how quirky it is in my place.

Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
DYKHIF?
Whoa! Whoa! We like to keep it G Rated here on FT
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by sky303
Picture as promised. I don't feel the need to lay it down correctly in there for ease of access purposes. I kind of like how quirky it is in my place.
Nice. Whoever gave that to the surplus store didn't destroy Delta branding/contact corporate real estate, so you probably have a near-one-of-a-kind.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Monday AM flight ex-ATL. As a PM I'm something like 26/70 on the UG list on a M90 so I'm prepared for boarding to be a mess. Unfortunately I need to carry on so I make myself into a casual louse to ensure I'm at least in the middle of the SP horde.

Premium boards and a slew of DMs shuffles on without incident. GA calls Sky and as expected the entire gate area takes two steps toward the podium. A few scans in, GA makes a reminder announcement that she is only boarding PREM and Sky and anyone else needs to wait.

A few scans later, I'm close enough to hear her say something like, "I told you the first time you tried that I'm not boarding your zone yet, please wait over there."

Guy in track pants and a leather jacket proceeds to stand in the dead middle of the podium area mumbling to himself, forcing everyone else to squeeze by him. As I get closer, I hear him say something about "I'm a *'%(@$& million miler and shouldn't have to wait for this @#$&."

Eventually the GA realizes he's not getting out of the way and caves...she waves him over and allows him to board. After scanning his BP, Mr. MMer snatches his BP back and says something to the GA that I don't think I'm allowed to post on FT. It's enough to make other pax immediately around him grumble that he needs to calm down. GA turns around and asks if he would like to speak to a red coat as he stomps down the jet way. She takes a moment to collect herself and the goes back to boarding the rest of us.

I kind of wish the RC had been called to kick this guy off the flight. One of the other pax I was boarding with said he had apparently also tried to board with PREM and gotten turned away...no idea how true that is. You'd think if he's a MMer whose travel has declined so that he's no longer even GM, he'd know the routine by now.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Not sure if this is true DYKWIA, but still an entertaining story I overheard:

While boarding a CRJ-900, ORD-SLC guy gets on and realizes his small duffle bag won't fit in the overhead. So he has to get off and get a tag for gate checking but he is pretty ticked. He lets the forward FA know how ridiculous how small this aircraft is for a 3 hour flight. Clearly he didn't know the size of the plane until he boarded. The captain was nearby and asked the gentleman if everything was alright. Well the captain got a bit of earful.
"You know it's absolutely ridiculous you guys put this small of an aircraft on this long of flight. You charge ridiculous prices, charge for everyones bags, and still make us gate check bags! I fly 125,000 miles per year and this is a 'recession jet'! Why are you guy still flying these things around?"

Captain replies: "I understand, I'm just flying the route I'm assigned and Delta management decides what size plane to put where. You can always send them a complaint. I agree these are long routes for these to be on but this certainly isn't the longest"

Guy: "American and United would never do this! If Delta keeps this up, those are airlines are going to eat you guys for lunch!"

Captain just kinda decided it wasn't much to argue about and returned to the flight deck. I didn't have the heart to tell them AA puts smaller CRJ-700's on this same route with those slimline seats. United's actually upgraded to mainline, but those E145's still do some pretty long flights. I might add that this CRJ-900 was a brand new interior with chargers at the seats and wifi. He was seated in row 5 right behind first class, so he still got his free cocktail and plenty of legroom. If he flew 125,000 miles per year, I would have thought he'd have experienced the CRJ-900 before, but perhaps not.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by saxman66

While boarding a CRJ-900, ORD-SLC guy gets on and realizes his small duffle bag won't fit in the overhead. So he has to get off and get a tag for gate checking but he is pretty ticked. He lets the forward FA know how ridiculous how small this aircraft is for a 3 hour flight...
Apparently the plane was unsuitable for a DYKWIA of his grand poobah-ness. Someone of his stature should only be flying on this....

It is the golden plane belonging to the King of Saudi Arabia. Recently, after landing in Bali and being bused to the terminal we passed this plane sitting at a gate. Apparently the King and his entourage of 1k+ were also vacationing on the island, having taken over three luxury hotels. This is one of several planes in his fleet, but it is the his personal plane and sitting ready to go at the airport during his stay. From the outside it's impressive. The pics show the interior, which seems to have the space requirements necessary for a DYKWIA of the subject's stature. If the airline knows that DYKWIA is flying, they should be prepared with this plane.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:13 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

While boarding a CRJ-900, ORD-SLC guy gets on and realizes his small duffle bag won't fit in the overhead.
must not have been very "small"
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:04 pm

I would enjoy reading off all the flight numbers of AA routes with longer flights then ask him how he feels. My airport's AA flight is a CR9 and often leaves with more than 10 empty seats for weight and balance. Not fun to be handling that many denied boardings. I gues all aA is eating is the DBC costs.

While boarding a CRJ-900, ORD-SLC guy gets on and realizes his small duffle bag won't fit in the overhead. So he has to get off and get a tag for gate checking but he is pretty ticked. He lets the forward FA know how ridiculous how small this aircraft is for a 3 hour flight. Clearly he didn't know the size of the plane until he boarded. The captain was nearby and asked the gentleman if everything was alright. Well the captain got a bit of earful.
"You know it's absolutely ridiculous you guys put this small of an aircraft on this long of flight. You charge ridiculous prices, charge for everyones bags, and still make us gate check bags! I fly 125,000 miles per year and this is a 'recession jet'! Why are you guy still flying these things around?"

Captain replies: "I understand, I'm just flying the route I'm assigned and Delta management decides what size plane to put where. You can always send them a complaint. I agree these are long routes for these to be on but this certainly isn't the longest"

Guy: "American and United would never do this! If Delta keeps this up, those are airlines are going to eat you guys for lunch!"

Captain just kinda decided it wasn't much to argue about and returned to the flight deck. I didn't have the heart to tell them AA puts smaller CRJ-700's on this same route with those slimline seats. United's actually upgraded to mainline, but those E145's still do some pretty long flights. I might add that this CRJ-900 was a brand new interior with chargers at the seats and wifi. He was seated in row 5 right behind first class, so he still got his free cocktail and plenty of legroom. If he flew 125,000 miles per year, I would have thought he'd have experienced the CRJ-900 before, but perhaps not.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Apparently the plane was unsuitable for a DYKWIA of his grand poobah-ness. Someone of his stature should only be flying on this....

It is the golden plane belonging to the King of Saudi Arabia. Recently, after landing in Bali and being bused to the terminal we passed this plane sitting at a gate. Apparently the King and his entourage of 1k+ were also vacationing on the island, having taken over three luxury hotels. This is one of several planes in his fleet, but it is the his personal plane and sitting ready to go at the airport during his stay. From the outside it's impressive. The pics show the interior, which seems to have the space requirements necessary for a DYKWIA of the subject's stature. If the airline knows that DYKWIA is flying, they should be prepared with this plane.
Wow. That plane has a throne. I'm pretty sure the CRJ-900 has a throne, too!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)

A few scans later, I'm close enough to hear her say something like, "I told you the first time you tried that I'm not boarding your zone yet, please wait over there."

Guy in track pants and a leather jacket proceeds to stand in the dead middle of the podium area mumbling to himself, forcing everyone else to squeeze by him. As I get closer, I hear him say something about "I'm a *'%(@$& million miler and shouldn't have to wait for this @#$&."

I kind of wish the RC had been called to kick this guy off the flight. One of the other pax I was boarding with said he had apparently also tried to board with PREM and gotten turned away...no idea how true that is. You'd think if he's a MMer whose travel has declined so that he's no longer even GM, he'd know the routine by now.
Something strange here. A MM is lifetime Gold
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by BeatCal
A MM is lifetime Gold
Since when?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, DL 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
1MM is lifetime silver on DL.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
1MM is "complimentary annual" Silver
2MM is Gold
4MM is Platinum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.