Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
All these stories about people who see Silver or Gold Medallion luggage tags in F and get upset, make me want to achieve status, just to bug the DYKWIA people, since I buy my premium fares.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No, what we're saying is that, for instance to extend your example, if the priority ordering by status, fare class, etc. would be #1 traveling alone, #2 and #3 couple, and then #4 traveling alone, if there were two available FC seats what would happen is that #1 would clear, #2 and #3 would be skipped over as there is only one remaining seat while they need two seats, and #4 would get the last upgrade. The ordering of the list wouldn't change, but in this case, #4 would get the upgrade while #2 and #3 would be left in coach.
10-4, that's what I figured was the case.

So Mr. DYKWIA was probably a PM, or possibly but less likely, a DM on a lower / later award ticket.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
All these stories about people who see Silver or Gold Medallion luggage tags in F and get upset, make me want to achieve status, just to bug the DYKWIA people, since I buy my premium fares.
Just buy a silver medallion tag or maybe I can find an old one of mine for you.

How are you doing btw?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:40 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
You can alwayz get one of these gems........
Attached Images   
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by davetravels
Hey! I'm a charter KM and still haven't got my tag yet

Who should I goto to resolve this
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Thanks to FCM, I always presume that the person has WFB(ought)F, rather than think they were upgraded
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
... #1 traveling alone, #2 and #3 couple, and then #4 traveling alone, if there were two available FC seats what would happen is that #1 would clear, #2 and #3 would be skipped over as there is only one remaining seat while they need two seats, and #4 would get the last upgrade. The ordering of the list wouldn't change, but in this case, #4 would get the upgrade while #2 and #3 would be left in coach.
the more things change, the more they stay the same

I find all this back-and-forth somewhere between mildly interesting and mildly amusing ... this is the exact scenario that my wife and I encountered in Oct 2009, going SNA-ATL-IAD on a Sat afternoon, and it played out exactly the same: I was GM, she was basic member; we were 4 and 5 of 7 for 4 seats; we flew in our originally booked seats (11AC on a maybe-50%-full 73G), as the upgrades -- just as I expected -- went to 1, 2, 3, and 6
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jspira
Just buy a silver medallion tag or maybe I can find an old one of mine for you.

How are you doing btw?
Mr. Spira, good to hear from you! I'm new to Delta, researching and plotting a status match in 2018. But this thread is brilliant and not unique to DL.

^^
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:40 am
Taz

Programs: DL PM
That's exactly what I do! Although I do have lowly FO status again, I pay to ride up front. I've left my old FO tag on my backpack just for amusement. I rarely get thru an entire trip without hearing a snarky comment from someone about their upgrade being "stolen". Sad and hilarious at the same time.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: DL SM
My unobtanium is still making the rounds!!!!

(I personally still rock the Carbon Fiber Medallion on all my luggage in my in-frequent travel)
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Originally Posted by RuesterGAGT
My unobtanium is still making the rounds!!!!
Had my Unobtanium commercially laminated on a bagtag. Once even had a FA go and get 2 others to show it to them. I just had it hanging off my small "flight bag" that I carabiner to a seat back pocket, and she noticed, asked "what the heck is that Medallion class?", laughing ensued.

So thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by ruckzac

In this case, I was #1 on the upgrade list and the couple were #2 and #3. Are you saying they would have been #1 and #2 if there were two seats available, or are you saying that individual DMs are always listed above a DM with a companion? The latter makes more sense to me (and of course, it's also very possible the higher status of the couple was PM, explaining why they were below me on an award ticket).
Whoever is #1 on the list gets the seat. BUT if #1 is a couple and #2 is a single and there is only one seat, the single person bumps the couple unless the couple told the agent they could be separated. If there are two seats, the #1 couple gets them and the single person goes to coach.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by Taz
That's exactly what I do! Although I do have lowly FO status again, I pay to ride up front. I've left my old FO tag on my backpack just for amusement. I rarely get thru an entire trip without hearing a snarky comment from someone about their upgrade being "stolen". Sad and hilarious at the same time.
Oh for the days when your lowly FO bumped everybody
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
I picked one up a couple years ago in the MSP *C* SC.

Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM

Who should I goto to resolve this
Sounds like a bogus claim to me.

My KM tag is on my backpack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.