Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rickg523
Who changes plans because a flight's departure is delayed by 15 minutes? In fact, what earthly purpose is served by an email notification of a 900-second departure delay?
Exactly, that just means 5ish more minutes at the club.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: DLDime & MM - Marriott LifePlat - Hertz Prez - Hyatt Dissapointedist
Originally Posted by anon2k2
I have found in my many years of flying and being "corporate" that people who are on the hook to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in four hours generally buy first class tickets or private planes.
Or... travel the day before. Or... have other contingency plans. Or...
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:52 pm

Who changes plans because a flight's departure is delayed by 15 minutes? In fact, what earthly purpose is served by an email notification of a 900-second departure delay?
If you have a 35 minute connection a 15 min delay could be important. But still for someone to 100% count on that type of delay to show up too late to the gate when "millions of dollars" are on the line is someone who should not have millions of dollars
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apodo77

I'm still unclear what he wants done.
Give him NetJets phone #
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I once used a 2 min delay to rebook to an earlier connecting flight. Originally had a 3 hour layover because the option with the 1 hour layover was significantly more expensive when booked. When I was notified of the 2 minute "delay" I pulled up the app to see what the options were. I rebooked to the shorter layover option through the app - same leg 1 to the hub with the 2 minute "delay@ connecting the earlier departure from the hub. (I was FO at the time so didn't have SDC/SDS privileges).
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been VIPRed off of flights for smaller delays than this.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Same, even when the arrival time is earlier than the scheduled despite the delay.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TomMM
Give him NetJets phone #
Connect him to Delta Private Jets!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by TomMM
Give him NetJets phone #
Nope.
Now for the rest of the story he sat in F in the aisle next to me MSP-SEA.
Heard him tell his seat mate (I was in the aisle) he was perturbed Delta would not put him in F on the AS SEA-PDX leg.
Odds are it is a Q400 with no F.

He had two screwdrivers before takeoff and slept the whole way.

We landed about 3:45 Pacific and sure he would be in PDX by 6:00pm.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kop84
If you have a 35 minute connection a 15 min delay could be important. But still for someone to 100% count on that type of delay to show up too late to the gate when "millions of dollars" are on the line is someone who should not have millions of dollars
This is what I was thinking. But...
I once used a 2 min delay to rebook to an earlier connecting flight. Originally had a 3 hour layover because the option with the 1 hour layover was significantly more expensive when booked. When I was notified of the 2 minute "delay" I pulled up the app to see what the options were. I rebooked to the shorter layover option through the app - same leg 1 to the hub with the 2 minute "delay@ connecting the earlier departure from the hub. (I was FO at the time so didn't have SDC/SDS privileges).
That's cool. And an example of why FT is unique.
And then
I honestly don't understand this, but doesn't sound nice.
So I guess even a 15 minute delay can be meaningful. Lesson learned.^
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm willing to be a Dangermouse and take a 40 minute domestic to domestic connection in ATL for the right ticket price because I know they pad the heck out of schedule times for short haul flights into there. But a 15 minute delay at that point definitely has me on my phone checking for a plan B option because a 25 minute scheduled connection there is starting to get iffy- even if it's same concourse and I can walk very briskly, when things are starting to stack up like that, the odds are too high you'll get to Georgia and then have a delay in getting gate assignment on top of it.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Last week at the ATL C Sky Club there was an arrogant guy giving the agent a hard time about a seat assignment. He then goes on a rant and states that the MD-88's are as old as the B-52. I couldn't help it and busted out laughing.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Last week at the ATL C Sky Club there was an arrogant guy giving the agent a hard time about a seat assignment. He then goes on a rant and states that the MD-88's are as old as the B-52. I couldn't help it and busted out laughing.
Someone was trash talking the MD88? Them's fightin' words...
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by WWads
Someone was trash talking the MD88? Them's fightin' words...
I was in row 32 on an MD 88 SAV-ATL and that is not a pleasant ride.
Was on two recently ATL-DFW-ATL and they were not a good look on the interior.

Not a huge fan.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:02 am

I would have to use all my fingers and all my toes to count the number of times a flight I was involved with has been delayed for XX minutes only to find out that the delay was shorter than expected. Arriving at the last minute at the airport is not a plan for success. Neither is wandering far from the gate just because a delay of less than an hour has been announced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.