Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I should have said "DYKWIA" :)

My last flight of the year to SLC the gate agents were asking for volunteers. I went up and gave my name, but they didn't take my boarding pass.

As I was waiting to see if they would need me or not it got near the end of boarding and the GA called me up and said to continue to wait, but he thought I might get on and asked for my boarding pass.

He looked at the pass and said, "oh Ms. XXX" you SHOULD HAVE told me you were a Diamond".

I said I didn't think it was a big deal and didn't want to be "that person"

I ended up not getting on the plane and got a $1,300 voucher
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by QDDawg
He looked at the pass and said, "oh Ms. XXX" you SHOULD HAVE told me you were a Diamond".

I said I didn't think it was a big deal and didn't want to be "that person"

I ended up not getting on the plane and got a $1,300 voucher
I've never called it out, but for VDB, have found that having status does seem to help me get selected. My most recent VDB, the GA was offering $600 -- I told her if she got to $800, I'd take it. When boarding started she told me to go on and board. Then just before departure, she came on the plane and said -- still willing to take the bump for $800?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:14 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I've NEVER felt as though my status helped put me a little higher on the VDB list.

A friend of mine has told me that UA actually DOES prioritize VDBs according to status. I dunno?!?

Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by davetravels
I've NEVER felt as though my status helped put me a little higher on the VDB list.

A friend of mine has told me that UA actually DOES prioritize VDBs according to status. I dunno?!?

IMO having status has greatly increased the number of bumps I've been able to get. I may not have been the first person to the desk to offer, but I normally say I'm a MM/FO/GM/PM/DM or whatever and I'd love to help out DL as DL has helped me out more than once.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:58 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
IMO having status has greatly increased the number of bumps I've been able to get. I may not have been the first person to the desk to offer, but I normally say I'm a MM/FO/GM/PM/DM or whatever and I'd love to help out DL as DL has helped me out more than once.
So, I should also say - - -

Don't You Know I'm also a 1.9 MM and FlyerTalk Evangelist? Would that help?!?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
This and mentioning I'm on a direct flight. My last bump, I thanked the GA for choosing me and he said he usually chooses medallions because they understand what they are volunteering for so he doesn't have to explain/argue/bargain, or whatever word he used.

Usually I stand near the gate and keep my mouth shut waiting to see if they need a volunteer, but that last time, there was a woman frantic because she wasn't being given her seat assignment and she absolutely positively needed to be at her destination. I calmly explained to her that I wanted to give up my seat. If she had a seat without my giving up my seat, we would both get on the plane. If there was no additional seat available, she would have my seat, I would not get on the plane and we would both be happy. She calmed down. In additional to the compensation, the GA gave me a handful of HOOU cards to thank me for getting that woman to stop pestering him.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
My experience is that being PM/DM does not directly affect position on list, but approaching the GA and making it clear I know and understand the process and am looking at rerouting options makes me more likely since it is less work for the GA.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Paplover
My experience is that being PM/DM does not directly affect position on list, but approaching the GA and making it clear I know and understand the process and am looking at rerouting options makes me more likely since it is less work for the GA.
The funny thing to me is that DL itself would probably prefer to bump no status, no FF number people as they are far less likely to use the certs, or they're going to use them for a weekend flight to MCO or some other leisure destination where they are hardly expecting the high dollar late bookings.

The Gate Agent would prefer to VDB a medallion as they understand how the process works and what they are and are not getting.

My guess is the potential discrepancy in people's experience has far more to do with the individual GA's experience and what options are open.

Seat open on the next non-stop flight plus X in DL$'s is easy to understand for most anyone

Seat in F on a backwards connection route leaving in 20 minutes in a different concourse X DL$'s, they know you're coming, here's your BP now run! You're going to need an experienced traveler after some additional MQM's!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by kop84
...The Gate Agent would prefer to VDB a medallion as they understand how the process works and what they are and are not getting.

Seat open on the next non-stop flight plus X in DL$'s is easy to understand for most anyone

Seat in F on a backwards connection route leaving in 20 minutes in a different concourse X DL$'s, they know you're coming, here's your BP now run! You're going to need an experienced traveler after some additional MQM's!
pretty sure I've mentioned this at least once in another thread but that was basically my exact scenario last spring -- booked SEA-DTW-BWI redeye on a G fare (approx $375), GA said they might need two seats; when I asked about the voucher amount she said they would start at $500 ... "I'll take that right now if you can get me on the JFK flight and into DCA" (different concourse, scheduled departure 10 min ahead of DTW; that routing was selling in P for over $900) ... as she conferred with the redcoat I heard her say "He's Platinum, he's in First, it's easy"

the only drawback was giving up a 753 for a 20F 757 but at least I got a window seat
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Paplover

You need at least one GA to know who you are, because on the computerized list, status seems to put you in the worst position to get the VDB, which is a problem if you have multiple gate agents. A different GA will call you to board, and then you have to explain to that GA you want to be last, and then the original GA will come to the rescue. No need to say brag about status, I always do the classy DYKWIA, and let them know I fly a lot with DL, I have volunteered before and know the drill, and BTW, I already have my preferred route picked and am pretty sure there are seats available, which makes me the perfect person to pick for VDB
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Same old story. DM at the ATL center A club complaining that his upgrade didn't transfer to his rebooked flight. Wanted to be upped to a Y fare. Also complained about a lot of other stuff. The agent appreciated my sympathetic glances.

WFBF
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by davetravels
So, I should also say - - -

Don't You Know I'm also a 1.9 MM and FlyerTalk Evangelist? Would that help?!?
All that's useless without Charter Kryptonium Medallion status.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Since we don't have an Uber forum, I'll post this here:

I'm currently in Detroit for the auto show and my Uber driver this afternoon was telling me about a fare she had last night. It was a writer and photographer for a major area paper. The writer said to her "don't you know who I am". My driver said she apologized profusely because she had no clue who he was. And the writer spent the drive telling her about his pieces.

I immediately thought of this thread when she told me about him!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:23 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by WWads
Same old story. DM at the ATL center A club complaining that his upgrade didn't transfer to his rebooked flight. Wanted to be upped to a Y fare. Also complained about a lot of other stuff. The agent appreciated my sympathetic glances.

WFBF
Yup, a lot of people getting bumped out of their seats today - my wife's flight ATL-LGA this morning was cancelled as was her FC seat. Was able to get her on another flight in exit row. Strange thing is that the DL system originally had her booked on an afternoon flight ATL-MKE, we talked while she was on the train to A in ATL, I told her to go to the Skyclub and they got it straightened out.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tomphot
Yup, a lot of people getting bumped out of their seats today - my wife's flight ATL-LGA this morning was cancelled as was her FC seat. Was able to get her on another flight in exit row. Strange thing is that the DL system originally had her booked on an afternoon flight ATL-MKE, we talked while she was on the train to A in ATL, I told her to go to the Skyclub and they got it straightened out.
Rebooked from ATL-LGA to ATL-MKE? Wow lol. Delta IT strikes again.

If it's paid FC, she is definitely entitled to a FC seat if one is available. If not, be sure to request a refund for fare difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.