Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by sogi
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with, because it sounds like we take the same stance. To be clear, you have every right to not be flexible. I concede that. Some folks enjoy answering 400 whys-per-minute. Others are happy to put on their noise cancelling headsets and ignore the inquisitiveness.

My offer is primarily for the folks who prefer to be away from children all together (and give me proximity, a powerful tool used in keeping children well behaved on long flights). Hence why I stated sometimes, flexibility can go a long way. It doesn't have to go anywhere for those who don't want to.
My Daughter is 9 and is perfectly fine flying solo much less being on the same plane as my wife and I. When we travel and I can't get seats together I always offer the better seat to try to get at least 2 together but if someone prefers not to swap it's not a big deal.

The funniest time was when I had a row 9 window, my wife row ~25 window and my daughter a row 23 middle. I went back and offered the row 9 window to the woman sitting there, and she politely declined as she already had her stuff stowed in the overhead. NBD, I took the middle and my daughter took my window in row 9. Nothing funny or bad yet, but as soon as I got settled in, a couple with an infant sat directly in front of us and the woman who had declined, had a look on her face like, "I've made a horrible mistake!" The infant was perfect the entire flight and I practically forgot he was there, but just the look on the woman's face was priceless!

Just to be 100% clear, I bear no ill will toward the woman who did not want to swap, it's her seat and 100% her prerogative to sit there.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:12 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Exclamation Friendly message from a moderator

A reminder that this is not the thread in which to discuss one's feelings about children, travel with children, or interest in having or not having children.
The thread title is "Do You Know Who I Am?
I have deleted several posts for being off topic.
Thank you for your cooperation and Merry Xmas
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by obscure2k
A reminder that this is not the thread in which to discuss one's feelings about children, travel with children, or interest in having or not having children.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Thank you for your good work. We do sometimes have a tendency to get offtrack.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Friendly message to a moderator or two

Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
To all of this forum's great moderators, thank you for your efforts this year, Happy Hanukah and Christmas, and Prosit Neujahr!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I'll be traveling on Jan 2nd with my wife and four children, connecting in ATL en route to MIA. I'll expect each of you to be on your best behavior and set a good example for them.

I booked the seats almost a year ago, and despite several flight and aircraft changes, I've managed to keep a block of six seats together. If (when) our seats get scrambled, it will not be my fault that you may need to sit next to one of my kids without me being there. I promise that none of them (including my baby) will jump on the seat, kick the seat, throw things at you, or wipe various unknown substances on your sleeve.

Please don't try to switch their aisle or window seat for your middle seat. Please don't move their bag in the overhead bin further back in the plane. Please don't give them alcoholic beverages.

Thanks for your cooperation.

BTW, my "baby" is 18 years old.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:58 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Howste
I'll expect each of you to be on your best behavior and set a good example for them.

Please don't try to switch their aisle or window seat for your middle seat.

Please don't move their bag in the overhead bin further back in the plane.

Please don't give them alcoholic beverages.
I'm surprised your list is that short!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Howste
I'll be traveling on Jan 2nd with my wife and four children, connecting in ATL en route to MIA. I'll expect each of you to be on your best behavior and set a good example for them.

I booked the seats almost a year ago, and despite several flight and aircraft changes, I've managed to keep a block of six seats together. If (when) our seats get scrambled, it will not be my fault that you may need to sit next to one of my kids without me being there. I promise that none of them (including my baby) will jump on the seat, kick the seat, throw things at you, or wipe various unknown substances on your sleeve.

Please don't try to switch their aisle or window seat for your middle seat. Please don't move their bag in the overhead bin further back in the plane. Please don't give them alcoholic beverages.

Thanks for your cooperation.

BTW, my "baby" is 18 years old.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
stapling?

. . . by stapling their lips shut?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm surprised your list is that short!
Well I didn't make too many promises myself. For example I didn't say they wouldn't be noisy or smelly or spill their drinks on you.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Hey Obscure
How dare you think about deleting my posts.
Do you know who I am?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
As an aside, I miss the "good olde days"
When as a Flying Colonel, one did not have to ask "do you know who I am", they knew. All rules good be broken. You could upgrade 5 of your fraternity brothers. ....
"Those were the days"
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Delta's Contract of Carriage:

Rule 35: Refusal to Transport:
F) Passenger’s Conduct or Condition
Delta will not refuse to provide transportation to a passenger with a disability, as defined in 14 C.F.R. § 382.5 and 382.31, based upon the passenger’s disability, except as as allowed or required by law. Delta will not refuse to provide transportation based upon race, color, national origin, religion, sex, or ancestry. Subject to those qualifications, Delta may refuse to transport any passenger, or may remove any passenger from its aircraft, when refusal to transport or removal of the passenger is reasonably necessary in Delta’s sole discretion for the passenger’s comfort or safety, for the comfort or safety of other passengers or Delta employees, or for the prevention of damage to the property of Delta or its passengers or employees. By way of example, and without limitation, Delta may refuse to transport or may remove passengers from its aircraft in any of the following situations:
1) When the passenger’s conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent;
2) When the passenger is barefoot;
3) When the passenger appears to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs;
4) When the passenger attempts to interfere with any member of the flight crew in the pursuit of his or her duties, or fails to obey the instruction of any member of the flight crew; [/B]
5) When the passenger has a contagious disease that may be transmissible to other passengers during the normal course of the flight;
6) When the passenger has a malodorous condition;
7) When the passenger is unable to sit in a seat with the seatbelt fastened;
8) When the passenger’s behavior may be hazardous to himself/herself, the crew, or other passengers;
9) When the passenger is seriously ill, and fails to provide a physician's written permission to fly.
10) When the passenger’s conduct creates an unreasonable risk of offense or annoyance to other passengers;
11) When the passenger’s conduct creates a risk of harm or damage to the carrier’s aircraft and/or property, or the property of other passengers.

http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...rriage_dom.pdf

Relevant violations highlighted in bold. Passenger violated multiple conditions of the Contract of Carriage, which the passenger AGREED to at ticket purchase. The crew were well within in their rights to remove the passenger. Nothing more needs to be said.
Yeah, I know that replying to old posts is irritating to some... but when I read the above (referring to a D&D passenger), I realized that I have been guilty of #6 after doing a gate to gate sprint to make a tight connection.

And I would love to see #5 enforced during flu season!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:17 am

This one is a courtesy of my 19-year old son.

We were flying F, which we rarely do for our kids. As we were waiting to board, my son asks me: Since we are in first, can he use his laptop for the entirety of the flight? He said it loud enough, so that everyone around us have heard it and started snickering. I was mortified and had to explain to him that safety rules apply to everyone.

To make matters worse, when we boarded he started arguing with me that D seat was aisle (he was seated separately from me - as I was with my daughter). The rightful owner of an aisle seat (C), who also overheard earlier conversation, was right behind us. I think at some point he got fed up and told him to sit down at the window, which my son did (thankfully).

I don't know what that other people around us thought about us, but I am sure we did not leave a good impression.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough

We were flying F, which we rarely do for our kids. As we were waiting to board, my son asks me: Since we are in first, can he use his laptop for the entirety of the flight? He said it loud enough, so that everyone around us have heard it and started snickering. I was mortified and had to explain to him that safety rules apply to everyone.

To make matters worse, when we boarded he started arguing with me that D seat was aisle (he was seated separately from me - as I was with my daughter). The rightful owner of an aisle seat (C), who also overheard earlier conversation, was right behind us. I think at some point he got fed up and told him to sit down at the window, which my son did (thankfully).

I don't know what that other people around us thought about us, but I am sure we did not leave a good impression.
Make him fly coach next time, while you and your daughter are in F!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:43 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough

We were flying F . . . . .
So, your son is a cubic zirconium in the rough?!?!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.