Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 7, 19, 7:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Gig103
Wiki Link

Top Characters & Stories: Go ahead, post your favorites
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 20, 16, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM View Post
What about more than 2 quotes? Sure there the same quote, but does that really make a difference?

---

Again, well done Dave
Made me
Old Dec 20, 16, 9:47 pm

I'd always give my SO the upgrade if I got one when we're traveling together, and I'm more willing to pay for first class for him than I am for myself. He's bigger than me, and it's in both our best interests for him to not be any more uncomfortable than necessary when we arrive somewhere for our too-infrequent time together. Plus, I get upgraded relatively often - it's pretty novel for him.

My only problem with this is I prefer window seats, while I book him aisles in coach. He's worth it, though, and often people happily trade out 'my' aisle for their window.
Old Dec 20, 16, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
DUDE!!! How much eggnog have you had tonight?!?!?
Old Dec 20, 16, 11:27 pm

Location: Pretty much this, rinse repeat, rinse again?: Bloomington, MN (MSP) -> Port Orange, FL (DAB)
Programs: DL NRSA, HHonors Silver (Soon to be gold), Hotels.com Silver, National EC Exec, GE (FINALLY), CLEAR
I think a more accurate question would be what eggnog he had at this point.

[Okay, so maybe Lil' Kimmy doesn't fit, but still couldn't resist ]
Old Dec 21, 16, 12:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A hazardous amount. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Old Dec 21, 16, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I never gave my wife my FC seat. Then again I'm no longer married.
Old Dec 21, 16, 7:04 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard View Post
Why would he? Because she has a vagina instead of a penis and is therefore entitled?

because, as you noted, she was making a disturbance, he (as an elite IIRC) is more accustomed to air travel and probably gets upgraded pretty frequently, and giving her the upgrade would probably lower the overall tension level a bit. This isn't some rocket science puzzle, you've got all the pieces right in front of you, yet the best explanation you can come up with is OMG VAGINA. Pretty telling.
Old Dec 21, 16, 7:08 am
pvn
Suspended

FWIW, there are plenty of examples on here of female frequent flyers who, when travelling with their male, non-elite significant other, will give him the upgrade. It doesn't have anything to do with chivalry or gender hierarchy. It has to do with the person who's been there and seen that giving something nice to a person who doesn't experience it regularly, and an acknowledgement that air travel is massively disruptive and stressful for people who aren't doing it on a regular basis.

We more frequently see a husband giving an upgrade to his wife quite simply because the vast majority of elite flyers are male.
Old Dec 21, 16, 7:11 am

Why give your upgrade to your SO when you can just ask the F passenger seated next to you to swap? Work smarter, not harder.
Old Dec 21, 16, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Ex Sky Club
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
FWIW, there are plenty of examples on here of female frequent flyers who, when travelling with their male, non-elite significant other, will give him the upgrade. It doesn't have anything to do with chivalry or gender hierarchy. It has to do with the person who's been there and seen that giving something nice to a person who doesn't experience it regularly, and an acknowledgement that air travel is massively disruptive and stressful for people who aren't doing it on a regular basis.

We more frequently see a husband giving an upgrade to his wife quite simply because the vast majority of elite flyers are male.
I totally agree and am often the recipient of this gesture from my wife.
Old Dec 21, 16, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

None. I just call balls and strikes.

Pretty telling.
What's telling is that you evidently feel she has no agency, and is not responsible for her own actions.

Or perhaps you think women are tantamount to toddlers who need to be appeased and coddled lest they through tantrums when they don't get their own way?

FWIW, there are plenty of examples on here of female frequent flyers who, when travelling with their male, non-elite significant other, will give him the upgrade.
"Yes, Alex, I will take 'Mere Declarative Statements' for $400."

Even if that were demonstrably true, it's not the point; as I noted to televisor, if it's his choice to give up his upgrade to his S/O that's his business.

The fundamental difference is, of course, that a woman who kept her upgrade instead of giving it to her male partner would NEVER be "shamed" for keeping it. Yet when a man has the temerity to keep an upgrade to which he is entitled under the terms of DL's program, suddenly it's a hate crime.

It doesn't have anything to do with chivalry or gender hierarchy.
Right. So much so that you have to issue a denial.

N.B. You may need to go explain your "no chivalry or gender hierarchy" bit to Tizzette, she seems pretty deep in the weeds on that.

O/H
Old Dec 21, 16, 9:12 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/2.9MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
My wife refuses to use my upgrade. I'm 6'6" and she thinks it would be silly for me to sit in the back
Old Dec 21, 16, 9:12 am
pvn
Suspended

What's telling is that you evidently feel she has no agency, and is not responsible for her own actions.
uh huh. It's pretty clear you already planned out your canned tirade here and didn't even bother reading what I posted.
Old Dec 21, 16, 9:16 am
pvn
Suspended

Even if that were demonstrably true, it's not the point; as I noted to televisor, if it's his choice to give up his upgrade to his S/O that's his business.
Nobody disputed that it was "his choice". Of course it's his choice. People have lots of choices, and they're entitled to be jerks. That doesn't mean their above criticism, especially when there's a plane full of people that are being affected by their choice. But nobody here has even suggested that this guy should be FORCED to do this.

The fundamental difference is, of course, that a woman who kept her upgrade instead of giving it to her male partner would NEVER be "shamed" for keeping it. Yet when a man has the temerity to keep an upgrade to which he is entitled under the terms of DL's program, suddenly it's a hate crime.
Maybe, but irrelevant to this particular situation. I mean, I get it, men have it so bad, it's really hard to be a straight white guy, when are white guys ever gonna catch a break, you know what I mean? Sure, it's a jungle out there for sure, some people on the internet might even say mean things about you, what a terrible world we live in.
Old Dec 21, 16, 9:18 am
pvn
Suspended

Right. So much so that you have to issue a denial.
well, I didn't have to, but I'll remind you that you're the one who brought it up (again, not that I have to, I mean everyone can just scroll up and see what you wrote). It's not like I just out of the blue issued this pre-emptive denial.

Search this Thread