Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats
I've been saving this choice story from my res days....

Guy calls in screaming at me that he should not have to pay any baggage fees....That alone is not DYKWIA behavior....but the reason is....he claimed he and all 5 other people traveling with him should never have to pay bag fees because he's C.E. Woolman's grandson.
Andddd C.E. Woolman is....
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hi55us
One of the founders of Delta.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC

One of Delta's founders....
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Saj8986
One of Delta's founders....
...who had a really excellent desk!
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Cher905
For the love of Mike! Would someone please post a new DYKWIA story so we can move on?
I posted one a couple pages back...it didn't take off though
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
...who had a really excellent desk!
The problem was, the phone agent had no way to know if that was really C.E. Woolman's grandson. If the putative grandson had described the desk, that would be a way to let people know who he was.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
The problem was, the phone agent had no way to know if that was really C.E. Woolman's grandson. If the putative grandson had described the desk, that would be a way to let people know who he was.
Even if he was, his grandson, what does that have to do with baggage fees?

He was literally asking DYKWIA!
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:00 pm

Google (and Yahoo, and Bing, and ...) must all be broken today
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by udontknowme
Google (and Yahoo, and Bing, and ...) must all be broken today
This actually made me lol. ^
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:29 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Haven't we all seen the desk in one of Richard Anderson's videos on board?

That said, since you're being very technical about it, his grandson may have never even been in his office to see the desk, and for that matter, he may never have even met his grandfather!

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 5, 2016 at 7:51 pm
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:16 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
And I don't even like fast food very much. Except for Wendy's chili.
oh if only you knew how it was made
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
not "one of" but THE founder of Delta.
For many years (until they merged with Western), everytime a Delta flight flew over Monroe La, they would "dip their wings".
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
New DYKWIA story... Not the most entertaining, but true DYKWIA...

Sun night, LAX-ATL earlier redeye: I got called to the gate counter for a minor checked bag issue. (bag retagged and they were giving me the new tag) We were slightly delayed because of an issue when the plane came in, so the GA at the scanner announced we would be boarding a little differently. F could board, but the cleaners were still in the rest of the plane. Mr. DM busted up to where I was and explained to my GA that he should be boarding because he's DM, and DM boards with Prem. The GA explained the situation, he nodded, but he barged up to the scanner anyway, where they apparently explained the same thing to him again and made him wait. He just kept repeating to both, "But I'm Diamond, but I'm Diamond."

Fast forward, I get to my seat (21C) and who is sitting across from me but Mr. D. In a middle seat. As I get my seat, he is commanding Siri to dial "Delta Diamond" which is apparently how he has it stored in his phone. When he finally gets someone on the line - and mind you, I'm not eaves dropping, he is yelling into his phone - he starts yelling about being assigned a middle seat. Every other word is a curse word. Quickly, the conversation turns to his defending why he is cursing. (ex: "I wouldn't be cursing if you didn't f*%^ me over by putting me in a 'gosh darn' middle seat.") Obviously, the phone agent called him on the carpet about this. I put in my noise canceling earplugs and turned the volume loud, so I don't know how this ended, except that Mr. D was in the middle seat for the entire flight.

Now, as a lowly PM, I've been assigned middle seats on long flights, but usually am able to get the SC or GA to change the seat once UGs are processed, but I don't curse, nor do I remind them over and over again that I'm PM.

OMT: True story - My earlier flight, PVG-LAX, the guy sitting next to me brought aboard a Subway sandwich, which he ate after the first meal service.

Last edited by CJKatl; Dec 6, 2016 at 8:50 am
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
New DYKWIA story... Not the most entertaining, but true DYKWIA...

Sun night, LAX-ATL earlier redeye: I got called to the gate counter for a minor checked bag issue. (bag retagged and they were giving me the new tag) We were slightly delayed because of an issue when the plane came in, so the GA at the scanner announced we would be boarding a little differently. F could board, but the cleaners were still in the rest of the plane. Mr. DM busted up to where I was and explained to my GA that he should be boarding because he's DM, and DM boards with Prem. The GA explained the situation, he nodded, but he barged up to the scanner anyway, where they apparently explained the same thing to him again and made him wait. He just kept repeating to both, "But I'm Diamond, but I'm Diamond."
"The main cabin is on fire; we're holding up boarding that cabin until we put the fire out."

"But I'm Diamond; I'm supposed to board with premium"

"But the cabin is on fire"

"But I'm Diamond!"

I was lined up one time (PM at that time) and some guy was talking to somebody about how he should be first because he was a Silver Medallion. I got the idea into my head that the most important thing in the world was to board in front of him, until I said to myself what is the MATTER with you?

I don't understand this sort of attitude among "elites" - and I don't understand why I encountered it in myself either. "Elites" fly a lot. Why wouldn't the main thing they learn be that all sorts of things happen all the time, and every flight is different. As a DM one generally has a more pleasant experience, but why doesn't the frequent flying teach people to accept the times when things aren't exactly what they want?

Last edited by Carl Johnson; Dec 6, 2016 at 9:34 am
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Mr. D was in the middle seat for the entire flight.
^ I think this has just got to be WIKI worthy. What says ya'all ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.