Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:57 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
My GA friend at DTW tells me that it's simply unbelievable, the sense of entitlement the Diamond program has created in people! Wayyyy more than before with PM being the highest! Things like - "What do you mean, there's no outlet at this gate to plug in my laptop - I'm DIAMOND!"
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by davetravels
My GA friend at DTW tells me that it's simply unbelievable, the sense of entitlement the Diamond program has created in people! Wayyyy more than before with PM being the highest! Things like - "What do you mean, there's no outlet at this gate to plug in my laptop - I'm DIAMOND!"
Clearly your friend does not know who I am. DM is the highest and mine goes to eleven.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
You should've accidentally tripped him.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
I can only imagine the stories you hear from those "shining stars" in the DL organization. DTW GAs make JFK feel like the Four Seasons.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tvnwz
I usually have a Red Coat hold everyone back and announce, "Stand clear! Diamond-Million Miler Coming through!" Stand Clear!"
HAHA - Brilliant!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
We see a lot of them in FT, too. They elevate DYKWHIA to a new level.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
I like putting year to date MQM on the back of my coat too. The only problem is that's a lot of work to change it twice a week.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a funny experience not so long ago where some idiot did the same thing. "Excuse me, excuse me" he said repeatedly as he pushed through the two people behind me and my family. As he tried to get past me and slightly shoved my young son, I asked him, "What do you think you are doing?" He said, "I'm Diamond and in First, you are just boarding here because you have young children". To which I responded, "Everyone and their dog is Diamond.........see my son...........he's Diamond" and we are all in Paid First....get to the back of the line" At which point we were boarding and he was shell shocked. He was even more so as we were across four seats in F and he actually continued back to Coach.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by hfly
I had a funny experience not so long ago where some idiot did the same thing. "Excuse me, excuse me" he said repeatedly as he pushed through the two people behind me and my family. As he tried to get past me and slightly shoved my young son, I asked him, "What do you think you are doing?" He said, "I'm Diamond and in First, you are just boarding here because you have young children". To which I responded, "Everyone and their dog is Diamond.........see my son...........he's Diamond" and we are all in Paid First....get to the back of the line" At which point we were boarding and he was shell shocked. He was even more so as we were across four seats in F and he actually continued back to Coach.
I had a similar experience years ago on CO... a guy barrels through my family, wife and four kids including two toddlers... my wife gives him an evil stare... "I'm first class" he states and continues his charge (we were all Gold Elites on CO, even the toddlers)... I became a hero in the eyes of my wife as we passed through the FC cabin, and I turned to the guy and said, "There is nothing first class about you, buddy!"
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:46 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hfly
He said, "I'm Diamond and in First . . . . . . and he actually continued back to Coach.
That's simply amazing!!!

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
We see a lot of them in FT, too. They elevate DYKWHIA to a new level.
I guess you missed the thread where it was determined that some pax think they're too good even for the DYKWIA group, and belong to DYKWTFIA's!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Maybe we need to make this a Diamond only board. I mean, who cares what those lowly Platinums, Golds and Silvers think?

Last edited by DL-Don; Oct 14, 2010 at 8:41 pm
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL - Silver, AA - EXP, Marriott - Platinum Premier
Agree with davetravels that DM has made some people feel way too entitled. On one flight in the spring of this year, they had to swap 757s and the GA didn't update the seating chart to the different 757 configuration. I was standing by for a seat in Y so I got to witness the entire boarding process. About 3 minutes after Zone 1 started someone came back out of the Jet bridge and said, "EVERYONE STOP THE BOARDING PROCESS!" In the new 757 config, the seat on his BP did not exist.

He then went to the GA at the desk and explained the situation. The GA at the BP scanner had stopped boarding momentarily, but resumed when she realized that this guy wasn't an employee. When the GA at the BP scanner started boarding again, he screamed at her, "STOP BOARDING! I am a Diamond and my seat doesn't exist!" The GA at the desk got him to start talking to her and not interrupt the boarding process again. But the great sound bites kept coming.

*"I can't believe you would do this to your DMs."
*"You need to stop boarding now to accommodate DMs and PMs on ahead of the riff raff." He actually said riff raff, and everyone in the gate area could hear it.

I realize that not having a seat because of GA error is something to complain about, but this guy acted like he owned the place.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Not all DM's are a$$holes, some of us are polite and don't flaunt our status. I have witnessed jerks on every medallion tier. Like the GM who was demanding the last upgrade and fuming, the GA said "I have a DM ahead of you sir" then I calmly walk up collect my new BP and just smile.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Did he have flyer talk bag tags as well?
I feel so dirty and unworthy being a lowly PM MM - I'm just grateful that Delta allows me to sit in 37d between the sumo wrestlers with weak kidneys
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by DL-Don
Mabe we need to make this a Diamond only board. I mean, who cares what those lowly Platinums, Golds and Silvers think?

Thank you for acknowledging that Silvers actually exist, since we don't during the in-flight thank yous any more. I'm humbled to be on this board in your presence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.