Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by udontknowme
They're gate LICE, not gate ants. Sugar has no effect.
Originally Posted by Howste
Aren't you being nit picky?
Therein lies the answer. What is needed is not more lanes/ropes or better announcements, but a giant gate lice/nit comb that descends from the ceiling, sweeping away the offenders.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Oh exalted ones

The very usage of "kettles" "lice" etc shows me that we must all bow to your exalted self - we are sorry, we did not know how important you were
Completely agree. It's not really infrequent flyers' fault especially as DL deliberately makes Amex holders think they will be the first on the plane when in reality they'll be lucky to make it on the plane with any overhead space at all left. Calling non-elite pax lice and kettles is in poor taste and unnecessary.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Completely agree. It's not really infrequent flyers' fault especially as DL deliberately makes Amex holders think they will be the first on the plane when in reality they'll be lucky to make it on the plane with any overhead space at all left. Calling non-elite pax lice and kettles is in poor taste and unnecessary.
"the situationally unawares" and (zone) "3's" then?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:25 am

I don't understand "kettle"... ? I understand who it refers to, but I don't understand why they are called "kettle".
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:28 am

I have to call a DYKWIA on myself.

I was in LAX, diligently watching the upgrade list.

I was #2 on the list and I looked up and saw the #3 person with the UP by their name.
I walked up to the GA and said "I just saw the #3 person get upgraded, but I was #2 on the list!".

She calmly told me I was upgraded too.

I apologized, tucked my tail between my legs and got on my flatbed seat.

What a jerk!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:56 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by tentseller
MSP today, Gate G20 for DL348. Sky priority boarding was announced and there were these three men with oversize roller standing and blocking the lane. I ask them "Sky Priority?" they said no. I reply "they are boarding Sky riority so can the passenger with Sky Priority get by?" they did not move so I had to force my way pass them followed by the rest of the Sky Priority group.
Later near end of boarding, two of them had a heated discussion with the GA/FA who were forcing them to check their oversize rollers.
Rule #557575 as to why I use one bag, a backpack that goes on my back (max size for a carryon). It stills sticks out but its better imo then a roller that runs over peoples toes and is a pain to move out of the way.

and since its not oversized... i havent had to gate check it :P except for a few RJ flights of course.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Faydra
I don't understand "kettle"... ? I understand who it refers to, but I don't understand why they are called "kettle".
Google "The Egg and I"

Characters in the book and movie were Ma and Pa Kettle.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Google "The Egg and I"

There's also a PaKettle username on FT.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM PM

I was #2 on the list and I looked up and saw the #3 person with the UP by their name.
I walked up to the GA and said "I just saw the #3 person get upgraded, but I was #2 on the list!".

What a jerk!

Haha at least YKWYA
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bonehead
My thought as well reading through the latest set of lice-inspired posts. UA has largely eliminated the possibility of lower-caste lice blocking the way for exalted elites like me. I really like the new lane system...perhaps DL should follow.
At UA Groups 1 and 2 sometimes board in the same lanes. I've had to fight through Group 2 people who stand in the lane during Group 1 boarding.

My rollerboard has gone over lots of toes in those scenarios, and (honestly) all accidents. Lanes are only so wide
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Google "The Egg and I"

The characters in the book also spawned a series of Ma and Pa Kettle movies.

I also dislike the use of the term in reference to non-elite passengers.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many DL gates at NRT don't have much space. That's at least part of the problem there.
That's the core of the problem at almost any airport, isn't it? C7-C13/D7-D13 in SLC, E & F in MSP, 55-59 at LAX, and on and on... too many gates with flights at similar times leads to people standing anywhere they can find space.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:57 am

What a jerk!
Self awareness is a good thing
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
That's the core of the problem at almost any airport, isn't it? C7-C13/D7-D13 in SLC, E & F in MSP, 55-59 at LAX, and on and on... too many gates with flights at similar times leads to people standing anywhere they can find space.
Not necessarily. The worst gate lice case I ever saw was when I tried to board a 777 from DTW to PVG. They called BE and I was hemmed in by about a dozen people deep in every direction who were all trying to push toward the podium. The air was hot and stuffy and I was almost afraid someone would be crushed or trampled or someone would experience a full-blown panic attack. This was in the A40 to A50 area with the adjacent gate empty, so the problem was not a lack of space in the gate area.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Rule #557575 as to why I use one bag, a backpack that goes on my back (max size for a carryon). It stills sticks out but its better imo then a roller that runs over peoples toes and is a pain to move out of the way.

and since its not oversized... i havent had to gate check it :P except for a few RJ flights of course.
Don't even get me started on people with backpacks hitting people sitting in aisle seats every time they turn. I've been luck so far, but that is because I sit at the window, usually. Backpacks are DANGEROUS!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.