Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
This is not correct. Both types of smoke detectors can and will detect water vapor if it enters the detector in sufficient quantity. The tools used to test smoke detectors are creating a fog in the same way a fog machine at a nightclub does, and they will definitely set off smoke detectors. If you want to try out your luck, boil a pot of water and hold it under your detector.

Now, the sufficient quantity part is an issue. Unless the smoker is blowing the ecig directly into the smoke alarm, I don't see it creating enough vapor to trigger the smoke detector. The same is true of smoking a cigarette in the lav. There's just not that much smoke/vapor being created.

Also, I was under the impression the lavatory smoke detectors aren't looped into the cockpit. It's just horn like in most household detectors. Maybe this is different for different airplane make/models.
I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll keep this short. The vapor exhaled from an ecig is no where near the vapor(steam) coming off boiling water which is 212F.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Originally Posted by Ledfish
I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll keep this short. The vapor exhaled from an ecig is no where near the vapor(steam) coming off boiling water which is 212F.
I am a "vaper". There are really two issues at hand here. First, what type of smoke detector is it? I'm highly doubtful that an ionization detector would be set off by e-cig vapor, as nothing is being ionized. On the other hand, if it's a photoelectric (or combo) detector, then sufficient vapor could set it off.

Secondly, and to avoid the above, if I hold the vapor in long enough (which is only a few seconds), virtually none of it is exhaled. I could also, if I chose, use an e-cig "juice" that has little or no scent and avoid detection via that route.

Note that I'm not saying I do any of these things (I don't), but if someone wants to vape on a flight they could, quite easily and without detection.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:18 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by spcran4d
I am a "vaper". There are really two issues at hand here. First, what type of smoke detector is it? I'm highly doubtful that an ionization detector would be set off by e-cig vapor, as nothing is being ionized. On the other hand, if it's a photoelectric (or combo) detector, then sufficient vapor could set it off.

Secondly, and to avoid the above, if I hold the vapor in long enough (which is only a few seconds), virtually none of it is exhaled. I could also, if I chose, use an e-cig "juice" that has little or no scent and avoid detection via that route.

Note that I'm not saying I do any of these things (I don't), but if someone wants to vape on a flight they could, quite easily and without detection.
Blow the smoke into the sink drain - it is negative pressure into the drain - which is why it makes noise when it is opened and it is closed by default.

I knew a guy that used to smoke pot on planes in the 70's.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by mattp1987
The DM did delay the flight to some extent; the FAA does not permit the aircraft door to be closed and, by extension, the aircraft to push back from the gate while passengers are using cell phones. As I said, the captain and/or gate agent should have told him to shut up and keep his seat or he would be removed. However, it would still take time for the DL employees to call law enforcement, for law enforcement to arrive, and for the passenger to be removed. I don't see any scenario where this passenger's actions don't delay the flight.

All that said, I'm surprised it played out the way it did and that the FAs let him get his way for throwing a tantrum. I wonder who the passenger was who ended up giving up the F seat.
Actually the FAA rule is that cell phones have to turned off "once the door is closed"
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JAldrich73
If the DM only knew what the standby passenger went through...
Setting aside, for a moment, that this was an IRROPs upgrade, and that the guy was a tool about it and apparently caused a 20 minute delay, should anyone with a sob story get to boot out a customer who, according to the rules that Delta lays down, would otherwise be entitled to the upgrade?

Everyone thinks there's an exception, and everyone thinks it applies to them.

That said, when I don't want to gamble on not being upgraded (which is most of the time) I simply apply the "WFBF" principle. Sorted.

O/H
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
Sorted.
A wonderful British expression. ^
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by beachmouse
She got coded as an IRROPS-MX in the system, and it was one of those times when that made the computer throw her into any available seat regardless of class, standby or not?
That would make sense, forgot that there was a MX issue.

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I completely agree with what both of you are saying. Clearly the upgrade should have gone to a medallion, and in this case a DM. However, with aircraft loaded and ready to push, delaying the aircraft for 20 minutes is a ridiculous DYKWIA move. I'm rather surprised the pilot and/or GA didn't get involved and warn him to stop that behavior or he would be removed from the flight. This, of course, requires follow-through if he doesn't heed the warning.
Yeah I do agree that fighting the issue and delaying the flight didn't help.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 22, 2014 at 12:47 pm Reason: Removed quoted content which now resides in its own discussion.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by JAldrich73

She was in 3A. I was thinking to myself "Kudos, Delta! If anybody deserved a First Class seat, she certainly did, after sleeping on the floor from SYD to LAX."

"
One thing we do not know (and the OP of the thread did not mention) - maybe she was originally booked in 'F' for the final domestic part of her trip.

I believe you can be standby in 'F'.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
It was a 1 hour flt. This DM is a joke. Sit back, relax. DL should let him know it is none of his business who gets that seat. He already boarded to his Y seat. 20 min delay - that is on DL.

As far as the vapor cig. I have seen people puffing these things and have never heard a smoke detector go off, and I have no problem with it. Just bring back smoking real cigarettes on planes and the problem would be solved. Of course it would cost DL money to put ashtrays back on the armrests.

I miss the golden days of travel - caviar, cigar, champagne. The three C's. Bring back that Delta Dusty Lion punch for my grandkids (I think bottled (canned) by Coke just for DL). Also bring back the $20.00 Western Airlines red-eye champagne flts LAX-LAS. Fly in at 11pm - return 6am. Champagne served both ways - free flowing in Y. Talk about a party.

The word "RJ" did not exist. I remember DL flying 767's LAX-LAS. It took longer to load the plane than the flt. Times change.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
That said, when I don't want to gamble on not being upgraded (which is most of the time) I simply apply the "WFBF" principle. Sorted.
O/H
Is WFBF "Want First Buy First"?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Setting aside, for a moment, that this was an IRROPs upgrade, and that the guy was a tool about it and apparently caused a 20 minute delay, should anyone with a sob story get to boot out a customer who, according to the rules that Delta lays down, would otherwise be entitled to the upgrade?

O/H
And Robert is your father's brother.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Ledfish
You didn't both reading the 2nd paragraph, did you?

Originally Posted by spcran4d

The ions are created by the smoke detector. When something enters into the smoke detector, those ions latch on, changing the current flow across two plates inside the detector. Smoke is the most common one, but any vapor in sufficient quantity will have the same affect, which was my point.

But you're right, and as I said, neither an ecig nor a cigarette create sufficiently large amounts. The smell will get you noticed before the smoke/vapor will.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 22, 2014 at 12:40 pm Reason: Removed quoted content which now resides in another discussion.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

A sob story alone should get sympathy, expressed verbally. That's all.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
A wonderful British expression. ^
I will sometimes refer to myself as being an "Anglo Saxon of Ancient Lineage" because it sounds better than "Pure White Trash, All The Way Back".

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Robert is the husband of my mother's sister, as it turns out.

Originally Posted by MPsince1984
Is WFBF "Want First Buy First"?
Correct. I don't want to be in the middle seat in your row, and you don't want me there.

O/H

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 22, 2014 at 12:53 pm Reason: Removed quoted content which now resides in its own discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.