Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta, United
Slightly OT but regarding overheads in EC. On a recent flight when I boarded several of the bins were closed. Being the flight had just started boarding I opened one up to find it empty. I stowed my stuff and closed it again. A few other PAX did the same.

On my most recent flight I was in a bulkhead, space was going fast and my seat mates had not arrived so I stowed my stuff and again closed the bin. When he arrived all the open bins were full. I said there is room above and he slid his carry on in.

As such, my new mode of operation when sitting in EC is to close the bins after stowing my carry on. The luggage louse in 34b will not bother to open a closed bin. But someone in 10a will.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Slightly OT...

As such, my new mode of operation when sitting in EC is to close the bins after stowing my carry on.
I hate when people do this, and you're not the only one. When the next person comes on and finds all the bins closed, he's going to assume they are full. To me, that is inconsiderate and DYKWIA-ish.

I get that 34B placing his bag in the EC area can cause problems, especially for bulkhead seats, call the FA and let her sort it out.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by irishPirate
I hate when people do this, and you're not the only one. When the next person comes on and finds all the bins closed, he's going to assume they are full. To me, that is inconsiderate and DYKWIA-ish.

I get that 34B placing his bag in the EC area can cause problems, especially for bulkhead seats, call the FA and let her sort it out.
The problem is that the one time when I did ask the FA to sort it out - and the FA was right there to see the luggage louse foul they did nothing and left me to fend for myself. Other PAX stepped up to the plate.

As for the bin closing - I understand your feeling, but disagree that it is a DYKWIA move - it is trying to be consider of others whom are sitting in bulkheads which often do not have much space regardless because of O2/FA kits etc. stowed in the first bin. That said, as I tell whomever that there is room above and to open the bin. I just do not close it and say nothing.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by irishPirate

On the CRJ200s, I have had some FAs that do this for the bulkhead passengers. I disagree that it is DYKWIAish or inconsiderate, especially when the poster communicated it to the passenger(s) seated in the vicinity.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:46 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
A little OT but I hate when the space for row 1 is filled with FA carry-on. It's not like they are the first off the plane.

Last edited by puddinhead; Mar 26, 2014 at 4:56 pm Reason: corrected the auto correct
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by yessams
On the CRJ200s, I have had some FAs that do this for the bulkhead passengers. I disagree that it is DYKWIAish or inconsiderate, especially when the poster communicated it to the passenger(s) seated in the vicinity.
I wouldn't call it "Do You Know Who I Am..." I'd call it "Do You Know I Should Be Able To Put My Bag Near My Seat; Please Put Your Bag By Your Seat."
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by puddinhead
A little OT but I have when the space for row 1 is filled with FA carry-on. It's not like they are the first off the plane.
One of my pet peeves. I fly a lot of FC bulkhead and generally (not always) travel with only a backpack having checked my bag. In certain configurations of the 757 there is a small OH bin over row 1. More times than not, there's an FA item in there.

Now don't go off on the fact that FAs need to have their manuals etc close by - that is NOT what is in the bin. Its purses and personal items. And its not just one FA's worth - its usually 2.

Why can't the FAs recognize that the bulkhead passengers need space for their personal item? What happens is that row 1 now uses the space over row 2 and so on going back...or row 1 has no place to put their personal item at all....
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
As for the bin closing - I understand your feeling, but disagree that it is a DYKWIA move - it is trying to be consider of others whom are sitting in bulkheads which often do not have much space regardless because of O2/FA kits etc. stowed in the first bin. That said, as I tell whomever that there is room above and to open the bin. I just do not close it and say nothing.
Originally Posted by yessams
+1. I have also seen FAs do this, more than once, and not just on CRJ200s.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:55 am

The problem is that the one time when I did ask the FA to sort it out - and the FA was right there to see the luggage louse foul they did nothing and left me to fend for myself. Other PAX stepped up to the plate.

I think you're the exception to the rule. Granted, I don't see many people closing the half empty bin, but those who do say nothing to the next person who comes along.

On the other hand, I'm getting real jaded by the whole travel experience so everything irks me anymore.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Originally Posted by hatandjacket
i wouldn't call it "do you know who i am..." i'd call it "do you know i should be able to put my bag near my seat; please put your bag by your seat."
dykisbatpmbnms?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: SQ
I've recently started checking my bags through if I have a flight to ATL or when I really don't want to get on the plane and sit there for 45 minutes before taking off. I've been doing this when in F too, because there's no real reason to board first just to have a drink.

I really enjoy watching the gate lice stand up for 20 minutes before boarding waiting in the SP lane. I also enjoy knowing that they sat for 45 minutes in an uncomfortable seat while I didn't.

Last time I boarded early I had to sit next to a guy who reeked of stale smoke in F (I don't mind smokers nor the smell of fresh smoke). Plus it was a morning flight so I didn't fancy a drink.

If I boarded late and there was no space in the OHB's, I'd simply ask the FA's to gate check my bag. I don't see the fuss over not checking a bag. It's 20 minutes of your time (max), and at ATL the bags usually arrive at the same time it takes to get to the baggage claim area.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I don't see the fuss over not checking a bag. It's 20 minutes of your time (max), and at ATL the bags usually arrive at the same time it takes to get to the baggage claim area.
This is true if you are on a direct flight from origin to destination, and the flight actually makes it to the destination without diversion.

Those of us who have to connect, do have other reasons for wanting to keep the bag other than the minimal extra time at baggage claim.

Once you check your bag, if you want to SDC or need to change flights at the gate due to IRROPS, you have lost the flexibility of getting to your destination with a good chance of your bag making it there too.

I've also seen a diversion where 2 coworkers had carried on and 1 checked. The 2 without checked baggage drove from the diversion airport to our destination (2.5-3 hrs) and arrived there *before* our coworker got his bag back.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by kitkat77
This is true if you are on a direct flight from origin to destination, and the flight actually makes it to the destination without diversion.

Those of us who have to connect, do have other reasons for wanting to keep the bag other than the minimal extra time at baggage claim.

Once you check your bag, if you want to SDC or need to change flights at the gate due to IRROPS, you have lost the flexibility of getting to your destination with a good chance of your bag making it there too.
Exactly. I would love to check my bag and not have to carry it and not have to sweat OHB space, but I don't like to voluntarily create a situation where I'm depending on everything to go according to plan.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by kitkat77

I've also seen a diversion where 2 coworkers had carried on and 1 checked. The 2 without checked baggage drove from the diversion airport to our destination (2.5-3 hrs) and arrived there *before* our coworker got his bag back.
Even if I don't have to connect, I don't check a bag unless I absolutely have to.

Even if you don't need to make a connection, if a flight goes into irrops there are situations where you need/want your bag. There have been a couple times this year due to bad weather my flights have cancelled and I'm not able to get out until the next morning. By having my bag with me I can head right to the hotel and not have to wait for it to be pulled, IF it will even be pulled.

It can be a real headache to have a checked bag if your flight is irrops and they interline you on another carrier.

And skypriority tags don't always mean your luggage will come out first, and even if it does mean priority handling of your luggage, there are so many people with SP at MSP, it can still be a decent wait. I flew with someone two weeks ago to LAX and he checked a bag and I didn't. I was already in my rental car and had gone through the drive through at in n out and was on the 405 when he called to tell me the bags had just started coming out on the belt.

Same in cities where I am taking a cab. There are times at LAS where there is a long wait for a cab, and the quicker I can get to the queue the better.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
But if you check bags, you get the entertainment of watching the kid who told everybody in IAH that he had Premier Access and should be able to board first, and loudly announced at the lounge desk that he had passes for himself and his girlfriend, stand by the mouth of the baggage claim with a classic DYKWIA look for 10 minutes before the bags at LHR started to come, telling everyone who came within 5 feet of him that his bags were "priority" and he had to get them first. And then you get the satisfaction of having YOUR priority bags (and 45 other people's) come out before his. Y'all should try it. It's fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.