Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chubbuni13
Was on the LAX-JFK redeye on AA. For some reason, they boarded extremely early (50 minutes out), and so when I got to the boarding gate +25 minutes, there was no one there. Very full flight and they made all of us "stragglers" gate-check our bags.

One of the passengers started railing saying, "I'm a Gold member! I fly 25,000 miles a year with you and I've never had to check my bags, this is ridiculous!" The GA ignored him until she started tagging my bag with my EXP nametag and said loudly, "Please, sir. This young man flies over 100,000 miles a year and he's being very reasonable about the situation."

I felt a little uncomfortable being singled out like that, but as Omar from the Wire aptly said, "It's all in the game, yo".
Sigh, I won't lie I tried that line once. I was among the last to board (I got on the wrong plane first actually, but that's another story) and I asked if I could put my bag in the F class closet. The FA said no because if they let me do it they would have to let everyone do it (an argument I hate) so I said "I don't suppose the fact that I flew 56,000 miles on your airline helps?". I feel like such a s-word now for saying it.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by CMK10
Sigh, I won't lie I tried that line once. I was among the last to board (I got on the wrong plane first actually, but that's another story) and I asked if I could put my bag in the F class closet. The FA said no because if they let me do it they would have to let everyone do it (an argument I hate) so I said "I don't suppose the fact that I flew 56,000 miles on your airline helps?". I feel like such a s-word now for saying it.
I ran to get on a plane last-minute as my original flight all of a sudden delayed past making a one-flight-a-day international connection. I had paid for F but took the downgrade to the last seat on the plane, which was exit-row EC on a 757, on one of the ones that have the two-seat exit row near the entrance to the plane.

Of course the overheads were all full, and I argued with FA about not gate-checking my 20" rollerboard, as it fits under the seat. Once she saw I was right, the FA put my backpack, which I was shoving in next to it, into the closet.

Not sure if this makes me a DYKWIA or not?

I sent a compliment to Delta both for them getting me on the flight last minute and for the FAs finding a way to accommodate my bag, although not mentioning the closet as to not get them in trouble.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rocco7799
That is especially true at PHL where the gate layout is horrible and the GAs don't announce the flight number and destination until the end. "Now boarding Zone 1 at Gate D12 departing for Detroit."

+100. Even landing at D12 gives me awful flashbacks to the boarding process there.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
I overheard this gem coming from a woman who appeared to be trying out for a "bag lady" part in a bad off-Broadway melodrama to the gate agent refusing to permit her Zone 3 BP to go before first class: "Why should I board with this riff raff?"

OMG. It's 1954.

GA told her to wait in line.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

I wish airlines would put a placard in the first bin saying it is reserved for the bulkhead passengers. The bulkhead passengers need the additional space for their personal item and since I am required to put my ipad and headphones in the bin for takeoff in a bulkhead seat I like being able to just reach up in the bin and grab those as soon as they can be used.
KLM does this for their exit rows (at least on their 737s). They have bin reserved for those in exit rows, presumably because they don't allow any underseat storage in exit row (even so, reserved bin space other than for F/J is not totally unheard of). Like most here, unless I checked bags, the only reason to board early when in Y is overhead bin space. Really don't want to spend any more time on a plane than I have to.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by pharmalady
I overheard this gem coming from a woman who appeared to be trying out for a "bag lady" part in a bad off-Broadway melodrama to the gate agent refusing to permit her Zone 3 BP to go before first class: "Why should I board with this riff raff?"
What was she talking about? I wasn't on that flight!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

OMG. It's 1954.

Should have told her she doesn't have to board with the riff raff, she could wait until after they're done.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Alright, while we're tossing zingers...

"No ma'am, first I board, then the riff-raff. Then you can go after that...."
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Don't bulkhead seats already get zone 1 boarding anyway?
Yes, by virtue of them being EC or preferred seats.

I do think it'd be a nice touch to have the first bin on either side reserved for bulkhead pax. I often travel with just my briefcase, and in any non-bulkhead seat I'd need zero OH bin space at all.

Only two issues are:
1) It gives the FAs one other thing to police (or not)
2) On some equipment those bins are already taken up with O2 tanks, first aid, or all manner of other stuff anyway...
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by gooselee
Only two issues are:
1) It gives the FAs one other thing to police (or not)
2) On some equipment those bins are already taken up with O2 tanks, first aid, or all manner of other stuff anyway...
3) On some configurations of the 757, the first Y cabin overhead is quite a bit behind the bulkhead row and if you're not the first EC passenger on board, you're unlikely to find space.

I've had a short connection where I was the last EC on board and I had to swim upstream 4 or 5 rows after we landed. People being people, at least 40 or 50 will deplane before finally being able to get back far enough. Only hope is someone with empty hands grabbing it for you.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
3) ... I've had a short connection where I was the last EC on board and I had to swim upstream 4 or 5 rows after we landed. People being people, at least 40 or 50 will deplane before finally being able to get back far enough. Only hope is someone with empty hands grabbing it for you.
Rule #1: Never sit in front of your carry-on. If you do, you've earned the "swim of death". Gate-check it.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
Rule #1: Never sit in front of your carry-on. If you do, you've earned the "swim of death". Gate-check it.
That can take even longer (or they can lose it). Just ask someone to get it for you, people usually will. I've seen items passed up 6 rows because someone asked politely.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by sethb
That can take even longer (or they can lose it). Just ask someone to get it for you, people usually will. I've seen items passed up 6 rows because someone asked politely.
Asking politely is one thing, but I get very cranky when people expect me to handle their carry-on without being nice about it. Then again, I also get very cranky when people handle my carry-on and move it wihtout asking politely.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
I've learned that lesson for 757s. I didn't expect to see EC already full when I boarded, and didn't feel like gate checking my bag (with some valuables) after I was already on board.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
crate you up

OMG. It's 1954.

Probably wanted to tell her, "Because I can't crate you up and stick you in the cargo hold."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.