Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
It was DYKWIA day at the LAX SC yesterday. I arrived as one Mr. DYKWIA was berating Corinne because he spent over a thousand dollars on his ticket and wasn't entitled to use the lounge, and he wouldn't treat his customers that spent thousands of dollars with such a poor level of service. Once inside, an unusually large number of lawyers were there from both Australia and the US. It was "$30 million" this and $46 million" that. I walked over to the Board Room in T6 to find some peace.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
It was DYKWIA day at the LAX SC yesterday. I arrived as one Mr. DYKWIA was berating Corinne because he spent over a thousand dollars on his ticket and wasn't entitled to use the lounge, and he wouldn't treat his customers that spent thousands of dollars with such a poor level of service. Once inside, an unusually large number of lawyers were there from both Australia and the US. It was "$30 million" this and $46 million" that. I walked over to the Board Room in T6 to find some peace.
A guy that dropped thousands of dollars on a ticket didn't have a Plat or Black Amex in his wallet for free access or $50 to throw down?

How'd you know they were lawyers? Humor me.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by darkom
A guy that dropped thousands of dollars on a ticket didn't have a Plat or Black Amex in his wallet for free access or $50 to throw down?

How'd you know they were lawyers? Humor me.
I'm reasonably sure his employer was paying the bill for the ticket, and he was too cheap to pay for access himself.

One group at the bar was loudly proclaiming this fact. Another group seated nearer to me were discussing their cases.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
"Henry, don't they KNOW we're on our way to our 40th Anniversary cruise on the Seabourn Odyssey that's costing us $50,000? And if we don't get off the plane first we might not get on the shuttle first and get our pick of seats up front and then we might not get off the shuttle first and then we won't be at the front of the line to get on the ship and then our anniversary will be RUINED. RUINED, I say!!!!"

"Helen, shut up, you insufferable and miserable cow. I only told you we were flying first class to get the Seabourn to get you out of the house in a temporary and oh, so rare good mood. Everything I own is being packed up as we speak, I'm moving in with Sylvia the maid, your seat on this plane is row 38E, and I'm turning around to leave the airport right now because it's worth missing a $50,000 cruise to get you out of my life."
Brilliant ^
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Talking

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
"Henry, don't they KNOW we're on our way to our 40th Anniversary cruise on the Seabourn Odyssey that's costing us $50,000? And if we don't get off the plane first we might not get on the shuttle first and get our pick of seats up front and then we might not get off the shuttle first and then we won't be at the front of the line to get on the ship and then our anniversary will be RUINED. RUINED, I say!!!!"

"Helen, shut up, you insufferable and miserable cow. I only told you we were flying first class to get the Seabourn to get you out of the house in a temporary and oh, so rare good mood. Everything I own is being packed up as we speak, I'm moving in with Sylvia the maid, your seat on this plane is row 38E, and I'm turning around to leave the airport right now because it's worth missing a $50,000 cruise to get you out of my life."
Pretty much! LOL - your version plays much better yet is vey much the same.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:45 pm

I'm reasonably sure his employer was paying the bill for the ticket, and he was too cheap to pay for access himself.

One group at the bar was loudly proclaiming this fact. Another group seated nearer to me were discussing their cases.
Do any of the other airlines include lounge access with a first-class ticket? Wonder what would make a business traveler expect this. Important enough to warrant a first-class seat from employer, privy enough to get there early and visit a club, but clueless of the rules.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:55 pm
Original Member

Do any of the other airlines include lounge access with a first-class ticket? Wonder what would make a business traveler expect this. Important enough to warrant a first-class seat from employer, privy enough to get there early and visit a club, but clueless of the rules.
Depending on the route, yes. AA gives access on business and FC tickets for JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and the reverse).
Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY
Depending on the route, yes. AA gives access on business and FC tickets for JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and the reverse).
Same for DL - domestic routes with BusinessElite service do offer lounge access for pax up front, as do certain other transcons. JFK to LAX, SFO, SEA, LAS, DEN, SAN, PDX, and PHX. DL also allows full Y pax in on those routes too.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:53 pm

Same for DL - domestic routes with BusinessElite service do offer lounge access for pax up front, as do certain other transcons. JFK to LAX, SFO, SEA, LAS, DEN, SAN, PDX, and PHX. DL also allows full Y pax in on those routes too.
So very likely this guy has gotten into SkyClubs for free with a DL boarding pass a few of times prior, only this time his flight class or destination didn't qualify for the free access?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Add Alaska Airlines, Virgin Australia, Virgin American

None of the "traditional" airlines, US, UA, DL, or AA give club access on just a domestic first class ticket with the narrow exception of certain transcontinental routes which are marketed as a (semi) "business-class" product. The exception routes for DL are JFK-LAX or SFO nonstop.
(plus the ones that Javabytes mentions in the post just above)

Last edited by Bowgie; Sep 15, 2013 at 7:29 pm Reason: Javabytes lists recent DL additions for louge access
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by JoeStocks
...I was 2 of 15 on upgrade list with one seat left in F. I accepted my fate and as we were getting ready to board, the person in the first slot suddenly became second. This wasn't taken very well as the entire gate heard about his traveling endeavors and how he had a tie breaker over other flyers and reset the list. The FA of course asks for the new number 1 to approach for the upgrade...
That dumb DYKWIA should know that he can be bumped down by a Diamond late checking in or being moved for whatever reason to his flight.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EP + million miler DL PL Med + million miler
This is not to support the behavior in any way, so put down your flame throwers.

I can understand why people want to get on as early in the process as they can. We have all been on flights recently where a few or even many PAX are made to check their bags because the OH is full. I am a DM and frequently get upgraded. I have, however, been delayed on the previous flight and got to the gate just as the last few bins were about to be filled. It is not a good feeling to face the prospect of getting your bag taken away and checked. Do I need to list all the bad things that can happen after that? Probably not. D.E.L.T.A. is an abbreviation for Don't Expect the Luggage To Arrive.

As I said, this is not to support the behavior in any way. All I am asking is let's be a little more empathetic with other PAX as they too struggle to get from Point A to Point B.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Originally Posted by jimg20
This is not to support the behavior in any way, so put down your flame throwers.

I can understand why people want to get on as early in the process as they can. We have all been on flights recently where a few or even many PAX are made to check their bags because the OH is full. I am a DM and frequently get upgraded. I have, however, been delayed on the previous flight and got to the gate just as the last few bins were about to be filled. It is not a good feeling to face the prospect of getting your bag taken away and checked. Do I need to list all the bad things that can happen after that? Probably not. D.E.L.T.A. is an abbreviation for Don't Expect the Luggage To Arrive.

As I said, this is not to support the behavior in any way. All I am asking is let's be a little more empathetic with other PAX as they too struggle to get from Point A to Point B.
Confused. Why be empathetic for persons unjustly forcing themselves ahead of those in line?

I don't begrudge them for "wanting" to board before they should, but I do have an issue with them doing so in opposition to the established rules.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NWA777
I wish all GA would do this. I have sometimes First Class, Zone SKY and Zone PREM on my tickets. When they call our section I notice that people who have Zone 2 try to attempt to board with us. The GA states no it's not your turn to board, They try to sneak on.

People are so inpatient.
Some time people do not understand how it works, my last PHX-SLC flight, they called for SKY Priority and this middle age couple gets in line, the husband says, " I don't think this is for us, they haven't called Zone 2", Wife says, "We have the Amex Delta Gold we get Priority boarding, that is why I got the card." They get up to the GA, the GA explains that this wasn't their boarding, yet, the wife says, "We have priority boarding, we have the Amex Delta Gold Card", the GA explained that they will be in Zone 2, ahead of the General boarding. Wife was not happy. I think sometimes the kettles don't know the difference..
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
DL gives lounge access to pax's on flight out of JFK to the west coast (other than BE flights) I have a JFK-PHX flight coming up on Sept 25 and my ticket says, Business Class (it is domestic FC), which will give me access into their sly lounge at JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.