Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by mrredskin
how would this make unloading/deboarding faster? everyone exits the aircraft and goes to stand in the jet bridge and gate to wait on their luggage, now. "problem" not solved.
Actually, I would be in favor of eliminating gate checking of luggage.

Not to mention... where would you put your carry on? I'm not checking my laptop, and other expensive stuff for Delta/TSA to "lose" or destroy.
If it doesn't fit under the seat in front of you, check it. My oversize laptop fits under the seat in front of me. The airlines could adapt and make some provision for bulkhead seats. If you don't want to check it, find another mode of transportation or stay home.

Regardless of what some FTers might say, flying is a choice. Just because one may say they "have" to fly doesn't make it so. If airplanes went the way of the Dodo bird they would find another way to get where they are going.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dd992emo
Or remove overhead bins from all aircraft.
Much easier to just remove dd992emo from all aircraft, wouldn't you say? Problem solved.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Much easier to just remove dd992emo from all aircraft, wouldn't you say? Problem solved.
Why?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:17 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
DL needs to simply allow the first bag to be checked for free up to say 30 lbs.
Simply? For how long were there NO luggage fees...and yet people still carried on. Real simple.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Simply? For how long were there NO luggage fees...and yet people still carried on. Real simple.
Before luggage fees, I never had to gate check a bag on a full flight when overhead space was occupied or worry about people demanding their bag stay with them as in this story from yesterday.

Why? Because people simply carried their immediate items on and just checked everything else.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Plat, Nat'l Exec
Actually, I would be in favor of eliminating gate checking of luggage.
I would as well. If it won't fit in the bin, it should be checked at the ticket counter.

If it doesn't fit under the seat in front of you, check it. My oversize laptop fits under the seat in front of me. The airlines could adapt and make some provision for bulkhead seats. If you don't want to check it, find another mode of transportation or stay home.
While my laptop, etc will fit underneath the seat in front of me, my feet will not once I sit down. I'm quite tall, and have big feet. If I am sitting in Y, it is physically painful for me to sit with a bag under the seat in front of me, as there is no place to put my feet. I need those precious extra inches to sit down. Therefore, my bag has to go in the overhead bin. The only way I'd support removing overhead bins is if the pitch in Y matched the pitch in F.

The overhead bins do serve a purpose. My proposal would be....

- ONE bag per pax onboard (not one plus a personal item... ONE).
- Second bag per pax onboard costs $25 for bin space.
- Bags underneath up to 50 pounds fly free, max 100 pounds per PAX.
- Excess weight costs extra.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: DELTA
Talking Del Griffith: Let me carry on my steamer trunk!

Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy
I admit that I have been guilty of taking the pink tag without argument, slipping it into my pocket, and bringing the bag on anyway.
Interesting idea. I'll have to add this one to my "Boarding Playbook" in case I ever run up against a GA that wants to make me check my small carry on bag.

On a separate note, is it just me - but does it seem like the number of PAX who try to "carry on their steamer trunks" seems to go up expotentially when the flight is a Red Eye flight?

-A
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by TheBisch
The overhead bins do serve a purpose. My proposal would be....

- ONE bag per pax onboard (not one plus a personal item... ONE).
- Second bag per pax onboard costs $25 for bin space.
- Bags underneath up to 50 pounds fly free, max 100 pounds per PAX.
- Excess weight costs extra.
This + 1,000,000 ^^^
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
No, we'd see three "DL lost my small suitcase, what do I do?" posts for every one thread about overhead space that disappeared.
What? Do you people know how gate checking works?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by avidflyer
She should demand compensation by sending a well written letter (snail mail) to CS headquarters in ATL. This type of behaviour by DL's front line staff can not be tolerated. If she is a DM then she KNOWS what will fit and what wont. The DM should have called security on the GA. Outrageous.
Thank you for your moral support of my girl friend. She's a DM, knows who she is (a princess) and doesn't put up with any crap from airline personnel. This is a perfect example of one of the many things I love about her.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
What? Do you people know how gate checking works?
Do you mean gate checking or gate valet? Don't think there's a difference? Watch where your bag ends up if you gate check and expect it to be brought planeside!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Regardless of what some FTers might say, flying is a choice. Just because one may say they "have" to fly doesn't make it so. If airplanes went the way of the Dodo bird they would find another way to get where they are going.
You said this the other day. Yes, flying is a choice. But wanting people to fly is the what the airlines do. In fact, they still have tremendous market growth available....but not with an attitude like this. More discouragement from flying means less customers and less profit and the industry doesn't benefit from just those that "really want to fly".
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Do you mean gate checking or gate valet? Don't think there's a difference? Watch where your bag ends up if you gate check and expect it to be brought planeside!
yea, yea, I meant valet!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
yea, yea, I meant valet!
"Gate Valet" is a perk reserved for DM's only and will be announced with the rest of the 2011 program details. Basically, you get a window sticker that allows you to get through security at the tarmac gate, pull up to the ac, and board. There is a small parking charge that you will need to pay and please, remember to tip the Valet.

No more dealing with gate lice.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
yea, yea, I meant valet!
I made that mistake once and only once... I've been on a mission to disabuse the population of the confusion between "gate check" and "gate valet" and between "direct" vs. "non-stop". Both ventures are maddening and seemingly futile, but I never give up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.