Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
I would have asked, but he and his family were all Francophones. I think from Cote D'Ivoire. I was also pretty annoyed at that point, because I just wanted to check in and go to the lounge for a bit. The regular checkin line was moving faster than us, and I was in the SP lane for about 30 mins in that same spot. I considered moving, but the line was about 100 people long, so I didn't bother. It appeared to be this gentleman (mid-20s), two other women about his age, and their parents. Probably worked for an NGO or consulate or something.
Anyway. We were held up in line for half an hour with no explanation, as a member of checkin staff kept going between the family and a back room behind the checkin desk. I'm assuming to verify some discrepancies in their reservations or trying to pull some shenanigans to get everybody in the group into J.

And as for carryon enforcement...between JFK and ACC, it's always ridiculous. People with massive duffel bags, boxes wrapped in 5 layers of packaging tape, all kinds of bags and such. We were up in J so it really wasn't too much of a big deal, since there were only 35 people to share all the overhead space.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Disgusting. When I bring young children into the SCs they wander around but I make sure they don't bother anyone. They know it's a special place (well, not anymore!) they don't get to go if they act up. As on the plane, I change diapers in the restroom. Though once in a SC the men's room had no changing table which I found Surprising nowadays, I had to hand the kid off to the wife.

Parents who think the rest of the world should just grin and bear it make me cringe.
Indeed. I'm not that old (27) and I remember being young and going to the Admirals Club with my parents. My brother and I were allowed to walk around but we never, NEVER misbehaved. No running, no yelling, no bothering people. A generation later and it seems parents no longer put any emphasis on manners or how to behave in public
Old May 30, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
My, it amuses me how many FlyerTalkers were always respectful and never misbehaving in public as kids!
Cotumely likes this.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by daregale
My, it amuses me how many FlyerTalkers were always respectful and never misbehaving in public as kids!
OK then. If we did misbehave, we were promptly disciplined. Rarely see that today.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DLFan2
OK then. If we did misbehave, we were promptly disciplined. Rarely see that today.
EXACTLY - and if a teacher disciplined me at school, my parents backed up the teacher - not undermined them!
Old May 30, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: delta
Thumbs down Then Governor Huckabee Took MY bus class seat

Flying from Little Rock To ATL After driving 3 hours they day after m y grandmother's funeral ( who I was very close to). I was platinum medallion and paid $800 plus for my ticket.. I had a boarding pass and seat assignment in 2 D. The gate calls me up and informs me that I need to be relocated to due to a "special needs" passenger. That special needs passenger was then governor Huckabee who was standing there at the desk.

I waited until he sat down and told him that he was taking my seat and. He said he had to leave town to attend a fundraiser. No thanks,...nothing. Instead his "fans" were fawning and sucking up to him. I am sure the state of Arkansas loved paying for his same day first class ticket.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by txaggielady
Flying from Little Rock To ATL After driving 3 hours they day after m y grandmother's funeral ( who I was very close to). I was platinum medallion and paid $800 plus for my ticket.. I had a boarding pass and seat assignment in 2 D. The gate calls me up and informs me that I need to be relocated to due to a "special needs" passenger. That special needs passenger was then governor Huckabee who was standing there at the desk.

I waited until he sat down and told him that he was taking my seat and. He said he had to leave town to attend a fundraiser. No thanks,...nothing. Instead his "fans" were fawning and sucking up to him. I am sure the state of Arkansas loved paying for his same day first class ticket.
Did they move you from F to Y?
Old May 30, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
If Delta did kick the OP back to Y, they probably tossed him enough Skymiles or future travel vouchers to make it up to him.

I am guessing sitting southern governors plus retired President and First Lady Carter are on a secret Delta "must upgrade" list.

Or just fly from California. Gov Jerry Brown flies coach.

Last edited by Bowgie; May 30, 2013 at 11:00 pm
Old May 30, 2013, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Bowgie
If Delta did kick the OP back to Y, they probably tossed him enough Skymiles or future travel vouchers to make it up to him.

I am guessing sitting southern governors plus retired President and First Lady Carter are on a secret Delta "must upgrade" list.

Or just fly from California. Gov Jerry Brown flies coach.
Miles my butt, they must refund the difference between the F ticket purchased and the lowest Y fare available at the time of purchase.
Old May 31, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: Delta/Skyteam Platinum Medallion and Million Miler, MR Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Burj
Here is the one thing I don't get about these threads, or similar.....

Do people ever talk/complain directly to the offending party?! I did this once (very politely) when a couple of loud (slightly drunk) men were carrying on right next to the work cubicles in the MSP c terminal SkyClub.... They weren't apologetic but they did move!
You have a point, the behavior could be confronted and it may result in the offending party moving to another location or stop doing what they are doing.

The thing is that these days people are rude and inconsiderate in every aspect of flying (boarding before their zones, taking someone else's luggage space and/or seat without requesting, bad behaviors in Skyclubs etc etc), I am for one have rarely hesitated to quesion these types of behaviors but it does get tiring after a while.

People who are grown adults knowingly act like this over and over again, unfortunately like someone else said there is no drinkable booz to take ur mind off these things at the Skyclubs anymore.
Old May 31, 2013, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by daregale
The trick was not getting caught, now on a flight SAN-JFK on a 707, I was horsing around by swinging myself between the two isle seats when we hit some rough air I ended up hitting the ceiling and crashed on the floor.. After picking myself up, I took my seat and didn't leave it until we landed.... But I'm with CMK10 as a child I didn't run around yelling and screaming when I was out with my parents like kids do today.
Old May 31, 2013, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by bronco2008
You have a point, the behavior could be confronted and it may result in the offending party moving to another location or stop doing what they are doing.

The thing is that these days people are rude and inconsiderate in every aspect of flying (boarding before their zones, taking someone else's luggage space and/or seat without requesting, bad behaviors in Skyclubs etc etc), I am for one have rarely hesitated to quesion these types of behaviors but it does get tiring after a while.

People who are grown adults knowingly act like this over and over again, unfortunately like someone else said there is no drinkable booz to take ur mind off these things at the Skyclubs anymore.
Well said...^
Old May 31, 2013, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bronco2008
I flew SAN-SLC on Wed, and boarding this guy gets on and find a women in his seat (1A), the FA jumped (and I mean jumped) in to see what the problem was, the guy showed his boarding pass to the FA (I was seated in 2B) the FA asked the lady what seat she was to have been in, she replied, "1C, but I wanted a window seat so I sat here" The FA asked the gentlemen if he wanted his seat or would he be willing to take 1C. Before he could answer the lady said, "a seat is a seat, honey just take mine." I kinda laughed at this, and the guy said, he wanted a window seat that is why he choose it, and requested his orginal seat. At first she started making a scene about it, but the FA (who BTW was excellent) used her own line on her, in his southern accent, "Honey, remember a seat is a seat." She moved but we had to hear about it the whole boarding time, when her seatmate chimmed in and asked her to drop it, and grow up.

I'm sure the guy would have allowed her to stay in the seat, but her comment about a seat is just a seat, pushed him to wants his seat...
Old May 31, 2013, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I flew SAN-SLC on Wed, and boarding this guy gets on and find a women in his seat (1A), the FA jumped (and I mean jumped) in to see what the problem was, the guy showed his boarding pass to the FA (I was seated in 2B) the FA asked the lady what seat she was to have been in, she replied, "1C, but I wanted a window seat so I sat here" The FA asked the gentlemen if he wanted his seat or would he be willing to take 1C. Before he could answer the lady said, "a seat is a seat, honey just take mine." I kinda laughed at this, and the guy said, he wanted a window seat that is why he choose it, and requested his orginal seat. At first she started making a scene about it, but the FA (who BTW was excellent) used her own line on her, in his southern accent, "Honey, remember a seat is a seat." She moved but we had to hear about it the whole boarding time, when her seatmate chimmed in and asked her to drop it, and grow up.

I'm sure the guy would have allowed her to stay in the seat, but her comment about a seat is just a seat, pushed him to wants his seat...
A JWD for the FA and a Woodford for both guys in row 1
Old May 31, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by FlightNurse

LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.