Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 7, 19, 7:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Gig103
Wiki Link

Top Characters & Stories: Go ahead, post your favorites
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 30, 11, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL Silver, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Witnessed an almost identical situation last month...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...m-diamond.html

The DYKWIA said he was going to report the GA and demanded her name. After he left I then asked for the GA's name and wrote an email of praise to DL.
Old Jan 30, 11, 4:22 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
It sounds like the girl acted like a jerk, but I have to jump in here and say it is extremely annoying when they make you gate check a bag that you know will fit without any struggle whatsoever. Especially when they're making you gate check a very small, thin suitcase simply because it has wheels but they're letting people through with massive backpacks and duffle bags that have no hope of fitting. I admit that I have been guilty of taking the pink tag without argument, slipping it into my pocket, and bringing the bag on anyway. I have also been guilty of assuring the gate agent that it fits, which is effective when I name the type of aircraft we're flying on, like, "Oh, I bring this on the CRJ-900 every week. I promise it fits." I don't know what kind of bag she had, but if she really did know it would fit and had taken in on that aircraft a ton of times before, I understand her annoyance. That doesn't excuse causing a big scene at the gate and on the plane, though.
Old Jan 30, 11, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Agree entirely with Velvet. For short trips, I often use only a wheeled duffle. It's a bit longer than the usual duffle and easily handles all that I need for an overnight. Early on, I learned that if I wheel it up to the gate, the chances are 50/50 that I'll have to gate check the bag. So I now always use the strap and sling it over my shoulder with the wheels to my back. This duffle fits in the barbie jet bins. I know that for certain, but the GA doesn't want to hear anything about it. I, too, wouldn't engage in a protracted verbal dispute with the GA and certainly wouldn't delay a boarding, but I must admit that I am mightily annoyed when I am forced to gate check luggage that I know will fit. Of course, I don't know that something similar is or isn't the case with the OP. Just sayin'!

lex
Old Jan 30, 11, 5:40 pm
evj

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Silver
hm...not sure if it's a DL thing but I fly a lot of CR2's and CR7's on UX. I've heard many times that the GA will tell pax "if you know your bag fits, go ahead and bring it on" regardless of the wheels. Actually the other day the pax boarding in front of me wasn't sure if his bag would fit (I think it would have) and the bag handler at the bridge offered him to go and try to see if his bag fit in the bin and if not to bring it back for gate check. The guy just chose to gate check it.
Old Jan 30, 11, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When NW (Mesaba and Pinnacle) first got the CRJ-900s, the GAs in MSP would encourage folks not to gate check bags. They started boarding announcements by explaining how the aircraft was a brand new RJ with big (normal sized) overhead bins that could accommodate normal legal wheeled carry-on bags providing that they were not excessively overstuffed. The GAs were very proud of this attribute of their aircraft. They initially almost forced everyone to try to fit their bags into the bins, even if the passenger said it wouldn't fit. What a total turnaround! (However, realistically, it helps that RJs get jetways at MSP so that no one slows down the boarding process by trying to carry awkward bags up the narrow wobbly stairs.)
Old Jan 30, 11, 5:59 pm

Programs: DM , MM ,Natl-Exec Elite,HH diamond,SPG gold
she would do it in the SC that way all the important people would hear...

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy View Post
Which she probably did while taxiing or in the terminal for all to here....
Old Jan 30, 11, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EP
I've been on the larger CRJs out of ATL operated by Pinnacle and Pinnacle's policy is that everything is valet tagged even if it WILL fit!

I literally had to take my bag OUT of a bin so the FA could valet tag it and leave it in the jetbridge.
Old Jan 31, 11, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy View Post
I have to jump in here and say it is extremely annoying when they make you gate check a bag that you know will fit without any struggle whatsoever.
And another reason for a carry-on template to be installed by each gate.
Old Jan 31, 11, 9:08 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by DelrayChris View Post
And another reason for a carry-on template to be installed by each gate.
Or remove overhead bins from all aircraft.
Old Jan 31, 11, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.2MM & a bunch of other programs...
Originally Posted by dd992emo View Post
Or remove overhead bins from all aircraft.
What would that solve?
Old Jan 31, 11, 9:24 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by SeaClay007 View Post
What would that solve?
- Faster boarding
- Faster unloading/deboarding...whatever
- Less hassles between pax and GAs
- Fewer bruised shoulders from pax lugging steamer trunks down the aisle

The only downside I see would be that the DL board on FT would lose a large percentage of its posts...
Old Jan 31, 11, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
- Faster boarding

The only downside I see would be that the DL board on FT would lose a large percentage of its posts...
No, we'd see three "DL lost my small suitcase, what do I do?" posts for every one thread about overhead space that disappeared.
Old Jan 31, 11, 9:32 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
- Faster boarding

how would this make unloading/deboarding faster? everyone exits the aircraft and goes to stand in the jet bridge and gate to wait on their luggage, now. "problem" not solved.

plus you would probably have to have extra personnel to load and unload the bags. added cost.

exercise more to build up your shoulders
Old Jan 31, 11, 9:35 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Plat, Nat'l Exec
Not to mention... where would you put your carry on? I'm not checking my laptop, and other expensive stuff for Delta/TSA to "lose" or destroy.

Besides, this would fly right in the face of what a lot of FTers recommend: carrying a single days worth of clothes/change of underwear in case your luggage is lost... if you're checking everything..... how would you get to your backup clothes?
Old Jan 31, 11, 9:49 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
DL needs to simply allow the first bag to be checked for free up to say 30 lbs.

Search this Thread