Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 7, 19, 7:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Gig103
Wiki Link

Top Characters & Stories: Go ahead, post your favorites
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 25, 11, 5:10 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Someone needs a month in a buddhist meditation camp.
Old Jan 25, 11, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
That little table between chairs is NOT where you pile your duffel bags, garment bags, hat boxes, steamer trunks and shipping crates. It's primary purpose is to provide a place to set down glasses and plates from the SkyClub SkyFoodPit (TM).
The only way this can be taken remotely seriously is if you were there first or if there were no other seats open and the guy refused your request. Because otherwise you're telling us you'd rather stew over this until you have the chance to vent on FT instead of de-escalating the situation yourself, in which case I can't say I have too much sympathy.
Old Jan 25, 11, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
According to the world federation the 5 seconds rule still applies at any DL skyclub around the world. Article one reads if the olive hits the floor and is picked up within 5 seconds it still is good to eat.
Old Jan 25, 11, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Instead of removing the coat closet and bag storage area like they just did at MSP f/g they should be ADDING these to the increasingly crowded clubs where I've seen rude people use chairs as their storage space while others are roaming around the club looking for a place to sit
Old Jan 25, 11, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Plane Wars

Seems we have a new version of Road Rage, lets call it Plane Rage. Definition: a type of aggressive or passive aggressive behavior similar to Road Rage. Noted by less actual confrontation due to the proximity of enforcement personnel. Prominently associates with DYKWIA personalities.
Old Jan 25, 11, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
Sounds good to me.

Yes, it's reasonable for people to acknowledge their surroundings... At the same time, there's nothing that says "tables are for food and drink only. Don't put anything else on them". So, if someone else has stuff on the table, I would also think it's reasonable to expect someone else wanting to use the table to politely ask about some of it being moved so that they can put their food/drink down (whether it's a G&T or a glass of water doesn't really matter too much, though things get dicier when alcohol is involved).

Classic example of why this sort of thing can drive me nuts in the grocery store the other day. I was shopping with my wife, and for various reasons, we were using a grocery cart (For those of you who have ever been to Berkeley Bowl, you realize that using carts isn't necessarily the most efficient mode of getting around the store...). Anyway, I'm trying to stay out of everyone's way, so I park myself (and the cart) at the end of one of the aisles. Suddenly I turn around to find some woman just looking at me. After about 5 seconds of awkward staring, I realize that her basket is located between my cart and the end of the aisle, so I move over a bit to give her room to get to her basket. She starts to go to the basket (still hasn't said a word), but then hesitates. She turns to me and says "I need to go over there", while pointing straight through me to the register line. Having given her lots of space to get to her basket, I don't see the problem... After another 10 seconds, I decide this is crazy and move my cart forward, at which time she proceeds to shuffle the basket forward with her foot, towards the register. She gets past me, and then turns to me to tell me that "it's WAY too heavy to pick up".

HUH? Why not just tell me that in the first place?!? I can't read your mind lady!!!

Anyway, in that particular situation, if she'd simply said something along the lines of: "excuse me, my basket is right there -- it's really heavy and I was hoping to slide it over to the register instead of picking it up." I would have instantly gotten out of the way and likely would have helped her lift it to the register. Instead we shared a 30 second awkward, silent dance.

Your line about "I shouldn't have to ask..." reminded me exactly of that situation. Just ask, whether you believe you need to or not. Generally, you'll be happier with the other person's response if you do.
Thanks for sharing the grocery store story. I appreciate it and concur with you. If I may, I'd like to follow that with another grocery store story that might help illustrate my position and frustration this morning (and no, it wasn't the end of my world or anything). We have a grocery store chain near where I live called "Whole Foods" (the nickname is "Whole Paycheck" because of their prices ). Anyway, this store has some of the narrowest aisles I've ever seen in a grocery store. Saturdays are a particularly busy day for this store. Additionally, it's in a fairly wealthy neighborhood and attracts a lot of self-absorbed individuals (please don't get me started about BMW drivers ) Anyway, frequently, these people will plant themselves and their carts smack in the middle of the aisle and socialize with their pals, who apparently they haven't seen in eons. Of course, they're completely oblivious to the fact that they're blocking the aisles to any other shoppers while they spend 20 minutes catching up on the details of their lives and who's precious little child is better than the other. Yes, of course I can politely say "excuse me, may I squeeze past?", but why should I? If I run into someone I know, I'll exchange a brief greeting. If I'm compelled to have a long, detailed conversation, I'll offer to call later or, at least move out of the way. It's courtesy and situational awareness.

I'm sure I've been guilty of being unintentionally inconsiderate, goodness knows I'm frequently oblivious. I try though. I think it's reasonable to expect that others would try too.
Old Jan 25, 11, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Was it literally overflowing or literally the round-the-world cruise on the QE II?
It was literally sprawling across the entire surface of the table and off the sides. Close enough to overflowing to meet my broad definition. I've no idea where he was journeying. I speculate the RTW cruise on the QE II simply based on the amount of luggage he had with him (and no, he had no companions because I saw him leave before I did, and he hauled it all away with him). I've no idea how he was going to convince anyone that the volume of luggage he had is "carry-on".
Old Jan 25, 11, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
The only way this can be taken remotely seriously is if you were there first or if there were no other seats open and the guy refused your request. Because otherwise you're telling us you'd rather stew over this until you have the chance to vent on FT instead of de-escalating the situation yourself, in which case I can't say I have too much sympathy.
Wrong. The club was reasonably full, but not to SRO (I've been in that club when it was SRO - not fun). I think you miss my fundamental point. I'm simply talking about one of the side tables that's between two chairs. I can think of no reason why I would ever pile all of my baggage up on a table. It seems silly and inconsiderate (to me). If you read my entire story, you'll find that I asked the gentleman if he could move some of his stuff, and he did. Problem solved.
Old Jan 25, 11, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
Instead of removing the coat closet and bag storage area like they just did at MSP f/g they should be ADDING these to the increasingly crowded clubs where I've seen rude people use chairs as their storage space while others are roaming around the club looking for a place to sit
Concur completely. To add insult to injury, if I may, the A17 SkyClub still has a baggage storage area.
Old Jan 30, 11, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
DYKWIA nearly has security called on her in MEM for refusing to gate check

Classic Zone1 dykwia on 5301 btr-mem right now. GA threatened to call security on her after she refused to gate check her bag that she "was certain would fit in the overheard" She even tried to sneak by the bag drop elevator.
Old Jan 30, 11, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by lsugolfer View Post
Classic Zone1 dykwia on 5301 btr-mem right now. GA threatened to call security on her after she refused to gate check her bag that she "was certain would fit in the overheard" She even tried to sneak by the bag drop elevator.
She should demand compensation by sending a well written letter (snail mail) to CS headquarters in ATL. This type of behaviour by DL's front line staff can not be tolerated. If she is a DM then she KNOWS what will fit and what wont. The DM should have called security on the GA. Outrageous.

An for those of you who forgot to set your sarcasm filter to on..please do so now. ;
Old Jan 30, 11, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
She should demand compensation by sending a well written letter (snail mail) to CS headquarters in ATL. This type of behaviour by DL's front line staff can not be tolerated. If she is a DM then she KNOWS what will fit and what wont. The DM should have called security on the GA. Outrageous.

An for those of you who forgot to set your sarcasm filter to on..please do so now. ;
Old Jan 30, 11, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post

Don't worry, she loudly told us seated around her that she was going to call when we landed in BTR.
Old Jan 30, 11, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Don't worry, she loudly told us seated around her that she was going to call when we landed in BTR.
Which she probably did while taxiing or in the terminal for all to here....
Old Jan 30, 11, 3:29 pm

Programs: NW-PE (ret.) DL-Diamond & 1M, Hertz #1, UA-1P
It seems the airport code is correct for her: bitter

Search this Thread