Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I'd chalk this up to JAPTA (Just Another Power Trippin' Agent). I don't know how the human psyche develops to the point that making another person's life difficult just because s/he can became more important that doing their job, but that's just what it is unfortunately.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I'd chalk this up to JAPTA (Just Another Power Trippin' Agent). I don't know how the human psyche develops to the point that making another person's life difficult just because s/he can became more important that doing their job, but that's just what it is unfortunately.
This and the obvious long-known hatred of AF/KL for all things DL, especially the pax.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why not do OLCI for your flights? You can print as many boarding passes as you want.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, Delta PM
That's a pretty messed up experience I gotta say...
If you were holding your elite card maybe they'd have played a little nicer? Just a speculation.

Never personally been through Europe that often but I know DL elites get treated fairly nicely in Asian countries

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why not do OLCI for your flights? You can print as many boarding passes as you want.
Hmm.. maybe because the paper is not the same as what they use at the kiosk to print tickets?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Interesting -- I returned from CPH in mid-Dec, albeit on an AF flight. I don't recall, but I guess the boarding pass did indicate ST Elite -- in fact the check-in agent specifically told me to be sure to use the priority security line. Also gave me a lounge pass, put the yellow tag on my bag.
A bad day for the agent?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:34 am

They have miles of ticket stock. I'd get a friendly agent at a counter somewhere to print you up about 200 generic fake boarding passes on ticket stock, and then dole those out to your son over the next few years.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kamishiro
That's a pretty messed up experience I gotta say...
If you were holding your elite card maybe they'd have played a little nicer? Just a speculation.

Never personally been through Europe that often but I know DL elites get treated fairly nicely in Asian countries

Hmm.. maybe because the paper is not the same as what they use at the kiosk to print tickets?
You can always reprint your boarding pass at the airport. Give the one from the kiosk to the kid and fly using the one you printed yourself.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are two dozen kiosks 20 feet away. Each will spit out a new BP.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
oooh- may I use this one please? I love it!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
OP, the first rule of DYKWIA activity is the DYKWIA doesn't realize he is a DYKWIA. The entertainment value isn't there when the person isn't oblivious to the DYKWIA activity. It's the difference between someone leveraging the fact they are a good customer versus being a jerk. Sorry, but your self realization disqualifies your experience from being a true DYKWIA event, IMO.

Example: Someone who rolls past everyone else in the SP line because he is entitled to board first, ignoring the fact that everyone in the SP line is entitled to board first, is a DYKWIA.

Example: Someone who rolls past everyone in the regular boarding line to use the SP line because it's a benefit isn't being a DYKWIA, despite what the people in the regular line might mutter.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: Skyteam
There are many JAPTAs in DTW, usually former NWA employees. I saw 2 in BWI several weeks ago.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Flying home after New Years via AMS, I encountered my first Dutch JAPTA at the KLM lounge where I have never had an issue getting my family into while laying over. I as a PM (Mrs. is an FO - means nothing but still... come on).

The lounge was at best 40-50% full, we were looking at 4 hours wait, and the lounge dragon was not budging. I asked to speak to her supervisor ... NO. I asked for her name ... NO. To be honest, that is what upset me most - her unwillingness to provide her name (their tags say only Agent). I felt that if I am interested in sending a letter to customer service that I be entitled to include the agents name who was providing a level of service that while "by the books", was not at all customer centric.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:39 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
So "customer centric" means bending the rules for me, but not for you. I have often seen lounges way less than half full, but then fill up later especially with the banks of arriving and departing flights. Honestly in both cases (boarding pass and lounge access) I see no reason for big complaints. PM's get one guest. If they want to bring more, they pay or find another way. Seems quite objective and easy to enforce. With all due respect re: the boarding pass, the son hasn't gotten the boarding pass for the first flight yet so why is it imperative that he get it from the flight yet to be flown? I just don't see why the agent is so wrong, except that "customer centric" means doing whatever I want done and having it done now. I am not DL or KL apologist, but I believe they handled the issued correctly in both cases.
Oxnardjan and Cotumely like this.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Sorry to hear about your experience. I have typically always found a KLM agent in AMS understands what a Diamond is, strange that they did not. I'm typically doing CPH-Home twice a month and have begun to notice a few things. Typically the desk agent at check in will invite you to the lounge. If they don't this is a tip-off that your BP does not have skypriority. I would say it's 50% whether or not my credentials are on the BP.

Secondly, keep in mind this is not KLM staff working the desk, but whomever the CPH airport ground staff is. (Can't remember the company name). And Danea can be notoriously hit or miss (if we're generalizing here).
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
oooh- may I use this one please? I love it!
Have at it ; I've adopted Skypesos, gate lice, ToD's, and other FT vernacular as part of my vocabulary

Originally Posted by fti
...With all due respect re: the boarding pass, the son hasn't gotten the boarding pass for the first flight yet so why is it imperative that he get it from the flight yet to be flown? I just don't see why the agent is so wrong, except that "customer centric" means doing whatever I want done and having it done now. I am not DL or KL apologist, but I believe they handled the issued correctly in both cases.
No disrespect to FTI, but I think printing out an extra boarding pass isn't really all that big of a deal. It's no different than reprinting a lost boarding pass. It happens, and there shouldn't be any attitude for doing such a simple task as reprinting a BP. I also have a relative who is an autistic child, and I understand that sometimes, these little things, make a big difference. They see and interact with the world in a slightly different way than normal people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.